6HP28 with Amsoil transmission fluid
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6HP28 with Amsoil transmission fluid

6HP28 with Amsoil transmission fluid

Has anyone used or know if there are any problems using Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid in the ZF 6HP28 transmission?

I've got mine in for a repair/rebuild, and they use the Amsoil when they put them back together.
    With my 5HP24 I've always only used the Pentosin or Audi/VW or Land Rover-branded Pentosin.
    Does anyone know of any concerns using the Amsoil?

I'd like to be aware before they finish, so I could get them the Pentosin to use instead.

Looking at Amsoil's website, I can't find anything that ties it to any JLR vehicles, but when I identify the 2012 LR RR, it does show this fluid as a match.
    But of course, this is Amsoil's website, not ZFs.

Thanks for any help.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 6HP28 with Amsoil transmission fluid

I have no experience with this particular oil, but I've use Amsoil oil product for in the past without any issues and highly doubt their top of the line ATF would cause any issues in your transmission. Conversely, I've used Liqui Moly products for many years on my BMWs in place of "special factory fluids" with zero adverse effect whatsoever, including various models, diffs/trannys/transfer cases. My personal opinion is that comparable viscosity high quality fluids will work interchangeably, as long as you use common sense and follow reasonable maintenance schedules -- i.e. none of the "lifetime fill BS".
    Sorry, wish I could be of more help here..
    2004 Range Rover HSE

Thanks for the input dlimanov. It looks like the Amsoil spec sheet meets the LT71141 or whatever the spec is for the original ZF-required fluid.
    And the transmission shop seems to know a great deal about the transmission, as far as I can tell anyway.

I might call the guys at ZF Eriksson and get their input. They are very helpful and would be my source of choice if I need a replacement transmission for this RR, my 2003 RR or my wife's 2012 XJ, which I believe has this same transmission.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

The ZF guys will tell you to only use their ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid in the transmission. I use Mercon SP fluid in my 06 transmission (not the Mercon LV) as it is as close to the same makeup to the Lifeguard transmission fluid that you can get, other than it being red in color instead of a golden color like oil. If the trans was under warranty the use of anything other than ZF fluid would be cause to void the waranty, but my truck has 197K miles on it at this point, and so far no issues with the transmission. There are a lot of fluids that meet the M1375.4 specs that you should not use in the RR transmissions. Most will tell you to only use the ZF fluid.

http://offroadrover.com/check-zf-6hp...t-thermometer/
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA
    2006 HSE Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior

SOLIHULL ROVER
    Mark. Extreme thanks for including the website in your post. Our trans is well due for refreshing the fluid. In your view if I used the mercon sp woukd it be acceptable to replace what comes out on the partial drain with the mercon sp if the original oil has never been changed.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE sold
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

It's worked out OK for me at around 10K miles so far, I just changed what came out when I did the filter last summer, say 6 quarts, other than the SP being red there doesn't appear to be any significant difference and it meets the ZF standards. Also I found out the transmission fluid has never been changed in mine until I did it at about 185K miles. The ink stamped date of December 05 was still on the filter when I pulled it out, so the PO's had not been kind to my transmission (even though I should have replaced it when i got it at 113K miles). Transmission shifts exactly as it did before, and I can't tell any other difference either.

I bought mine at Ryder fleet products, 89 bucks for a case. Don't know about Shipping out of the US or if you have an equivalent in Canada.

https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/m...p-p-w83-xt6qsp
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

I just worked on my trans a few weeks ago (thanks to RRPhil and Mark_C for help) and my new trans pan was marked with a dec 10 2005 date as was the pan I pulled. I wonder if they made a few thousand extras and stock movement is slow?

i used the ZF Lifeguard fluid in mine. If your the states, look at www.thectsc.com for parts and such
    good prices and shipping, packaged well too.
    1996 4.0 SE - "Lucky" has been a lucky car, 230,000 miles, owned for 18 years - recenly sold
    2000 4.6HSE - "Lotus". owned for 10 years now, just clicked 208,000 miles.
    2008 HSE 4.4l - "Meg" - New to us on 10-12-18 with 78,450 miles

I'm pretty sure mine is stamped 20 DEZ 05 in white ink, and the assembly stamp molded into the pan on the inside indicates 12/05 (the little dots in the 12 columns on the 05 row - looks like they just added a new dot every month in the mold that made the pan). My truck was actually assembled in Feb 06, the Trans may have been built a few weeks before. I haven't looked for the assembly dates on the Trans itself.

6HP28 with Amsoil transmission fluid-20181214_151811.jpg

6HP28 with Amsoil transmission fluid-20181214_151821.jpg

My fluid was pretty dark when I changed the filter, but there was no metallic particles or sludge in the pan, and nothing was stuck to the magnets in the pan, so the ZF fluid appears to have held up pretty well over its life.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

My fluid was a bit dark and I was right at 88500 miles, not sure if it’s ever been changed, kind of doubt it was. Changed the air filter and cabin filter tonight and those were dirty. Did an oil and filter change over the weekend too.

6HP28 with Amsoil transmission fluid-a7f8da0c-3d17-4b4d-ac0c-259dbf1225e8.jpg
    Weird angle on photo... new pan looks bigger.
    1996 4.0 SE - "Lucky" has been a lucky car, 230,000 miles, owned for 18 years - recenly sold
    2000 4.6HSE - "Lotus". owned for 10 years now, just clicked 208,000 miles.
    2008 HSE 4.4l - "Meg" - New to us on 10-12-18 with 78,450 miles

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now