Severe Engine missing
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Severe Engine missing

CJD
    JUNIOR ROVER

Severe Engine missing

I have been working this for a week now and am completely stumped. Help!!

Our 2004 RR started missing severely and pretty much out of the blue. It is most noticeable when sitting at idle with the transmission in gear, and also when just starting out from a dead stop. It is not bad enough to change the RPM indication when tranny is in park/neutral, but you can hear it in the exhaust. The check engine light does NOT come on unless we accelerate at full throttle, and then it merely flashes and goes out when we back off the throttle.

Here are the diagnostics info:

1). Incident first happened after filling tank. Ran the testbook and the only code is “misfire cylinder 7”. I replaced the ignition coil and spark plug on #7, and cleared the code. There was no change in the misfire. Diagnostics now said “misfire cylinder 2”.

2). At this point, I had to assume I got bad gas, since the misfire was moving from cylinder to cylinder. I called the station, who of course denied any other incidents. Also, we filled our other car at the same pump at the same time...and that one has no issues with the gas. Still, we added Heat gas treatment, ran the tank to the low light and then topped off with good gas, just to be sure.

3). As the tank burned down, the missing slowly got better, but never completely went away. On filling the tank with fresh premium gas, the missing got severe again.

4). At this point we pulled the codes again: “Misfire cylinder 2”. “Multiple cylinder misfire”. But 2 new codes appeared...”DM-TL small leak 1.0mm”, and “fuel system pressure test fail”.

I am stumped. The missing does seem to be related to the amount of fuel in the tank, i.e. full tank worse and low tank better. But I have never known the evap side to cause missing. Does anyone have an idea of where to go from here?
    John
    2004 322 RR HSE
    Southlake, TX

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Severe Engine missing

What are your fuel trim readings? fuel pressure readings?
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

SOLIHULL ROVER
    The evap leak on a friends f150 caused very similar symptoms. Not sure what you would do but good to put fuel pressure guage om yhe fuel rail Schrader valve. If you blip the throttle and the guage drops slightly that would show the integral fuel pressure regulator (integral to the fuel filter) is working correctly and if you have 50-55 psi that would be good.food There is some stuff to search for on the evap system. You can borrow a guage from parts suppliers. I cobbled one up from a liquid filled fuel guage and a thread on air valve fitting when the borrowed guage was defective. Just curious if you have long cranks before she fires. Keep us posted.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE sold
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

CJD
    JUNIOR ROVER

I’ll pull the fuel pressure readings this weekend. The engine fires as good as ever on starting, and except for the random “burps” runs fine. I figured if it was fuel pressure related, or dirty filter, it would fall on it’s face at high speeds...but it doesn’t.

I have been studying the “tank leak detection module” section of the rave. I cannot relate how the vapor leak side of the system could cause the missing. Last year we lost our gas cap. The engine ran great with the cap missing, but after a day it triggered the “check engine” light, with a “fuel tank pressure leak” code. No missing.

But, this weekend I’ll try:

1). Fuel rail pressure tests.
    2). Vapor system leak check.
    3). I’ll pull the fuel trims too...
    John
    2004 322 RR HSE
    Southlake, TX

SOLIHULL ROVER

have you replaced the fuel filter? It can easily flow well intermittently, then junk can move around causing it to fall flat on it's face.

CJD
    JUNIOR ROVER

No, fuel filter will be on the list. It’s lower down since it revs just fine to 6k on acceleration. I figure a clogged filter would flatten out at high load/RPM. I will get to it, though.

Ran the fuel trims. All trims at idle dance around 0% +-3%. The exception is the “LTFT B1”, which sits rock solid on 5.4%. It does not change at all. I am not sure if it is wrong that the other trims dance constantly, or that the long term bank 1 is constant. LTFT bank 2 is 0%.

I am still trying to dig out my fuel pressure gage....more to follow.

Note...as the tank of gas is burning down the missing is, once again, getting less severe.
    John
    2004 322 RR HSE
    Southlake, TX

SOLIHULL ROVER
    The evap likely does not open on full throttle as iirc it's based on conditions not to mess up fueling. There is tech info on when evap opens to release excess fuel vapours-possibly is where on yours it opens to air and messes the fuel mixture. The f150 ford did not show any codes when it stumbled and their high end techs were sure it was the throttle body.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE sold
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

CJD
    JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by diff View Post
    The evap likely does not open on full throttle as iirc it's based on conditions not to mess up fueling. There is tech info on when evap opens to release excess fuel vapours-possibly is where on yours it opens to air and messes the fuel mixture. The f150 ford did not show any codes when it stumbled and their high end techs were sure it was the throttle body.
    So you are thinking the evap valve may be malfunctioning?
    John
    2004 322 RR HSE
    Southlake, TX

CJD
    JUNIOR ROVER

We’re on tank #3...and still missing. Interesting thing is I cleared the faults, which did not seem to be pointing me to anything useful, so I could see which faults returned. Now the previous faults are not there after about 100 miles of driving ( and missing). The new fault is:

”ECM self test torque monitor”

I am about ready to give up. I cannot find ANYTHING in the RAV talking about a torque monitor. The description mentions that it is a fault, but says nothing about what it is or causes.
    John
    2004 322 RR HSE
    Southlake, TX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now