Removing the transmission & transfer case
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing the transmission & transfer case

Removing the transmission & transfer case

Has anyone had to remove their transmission & transfer case?
    I'm at a point where the transmission will have to be dropped & evaluated. The dealership's prognosis is that the transmission & the transfer case need to be replaced.
    Although I'd like to remove it myself & take it apart, I'll likely have a local Aamco that seems like my best option take them apart & rebuild them. There are risks with that.

Other options are to buy a rebuilt set - ZF Eriksson has them for ~$3k + $400 shipping.
    Rock Auto has rebuilt transfer cases for ~$2k.
    The dealership would R&R them for ~$1500 to $2000.
    But I'd rather repair the originals and use better parts, like Sonnax bushings, accumulator piston kits, new clutch plates & disks, new solenoids; and be able to see and have the parts that failed in the first place, to make sure it's the shafts.

I've rebuilt a couple of engines, but I've never worked inside a transmission larger than that of a motorcycle.

Any ideas, experience or advice?

How high does the RR have to be off the ground for the transmission to clear (I can add jack height)?
    I do NOT have a lift, I've got a floor jack, wheel ramps and jack stand, but no lift.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Removing the transmission & transfer case

It's the 2012 by the way.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    White

I have the 2005 l322 and a month ago i dropped my transmission to change the torque converter.

I actually dropped the transfer case and tranny at the same time by uncoupling the 6 bolts between the transfer case and the rear shaft and the bell housing bolts.
    I found it easier to do that just dropping the transission solo.

I also did not have to touch the exhausts to do this, the protective frame for the transmission comes off easy even with the exhausts in place.

I also opted to do this as close to the ground as possible so i jacked the front up so that the bel housing clears and used a floor transmission jack. it all took just under 7 hours to do.

I replaced the torque converter with a refurbished one i purchased via rock auto and that was a bad move becasue the refurbished one is actually just as bad as my original one . I am now preparing to purchase a new TC and repeat the whole process all over again only this time i will be performing a complete tear down of the whole tranny , changing the A clutch , seals and any worn bearings etc.....

lESSONS I LEARNED
    Do not buy refurbished electronics of components for your car , most of them are scams (includes alternators)
    Do not trust cheply priced item that you see online. They are cheaper for a reason and its not because they like you and just want to do you a favor.

If you can DIY , that is the best option, take your time and do it right...

I hope this helps.
    245,000 miles and counting....
    "Stable genius?"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Thanks Pontoon - very helpful info. How high did you have to lift the front end to slide the tranny out? I'd guess maybe 18 - 22" + what ever it's sitting on?
    Did Rock Auto take the TC back? They're pretty good at supporting their products, on the very few instances I've had, but I've never had a TC from them.
    Did you look for a replacement from ZF Eriksson or somewhere known to have good TCs?

After getting the 6HP28 on the 2012 squared-away, I really should get to the 5HP24 in the '03. It needs a bit of work, a new chain, probably bearings in the transfer case, a new torque converter.
    I just don't have enough time lately.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    White

Quote Originally Posted by 03rangiemark View Post
    Thanks Pontoon - very helpful info. How high did you have to lift the front end to slide the tranny out? I'd guess maybe 18 - 22" + what ever it's sitting on?
    Did Rock Auto take the TC back? They're pretty good at supporting their products, on the very few instances I've had, but I've never had a TC from them.
    Did you look for a replacement from ZF Eriksson or somewhere known to have good TCs?

After getting the 6HP28 on the 2012 squared-away, I really should get to the 5HP24 in the '03. It needs a bit of work, a new chain, probably bearings in the transfer case, a new torque converter.
    I just don't have enough time lately.
    Hi , i decided not to send the TC back as i imagine it will be sold to someone else and the issue will just keep circulating while they profit so i made sure it will never be used again. I'll eat the $250 loss but i am never buying another item from there if they are selling shoddy parts , they know you can't open a TC to insect it.

I am sick of being ripped off by sellers of remanufacted stuff .

Erickson industries will be where i purchase the brand new TC , I lidted the front up about 8 inches, Northern tool has a really nice floor TM jack but is is costly $329, obviously i got ripped off on that price because i just saw the same jack going for $160 online. I bought it aND can use it in other functions in my line of work too.

The TM jack lies low 6" from the ground but can travel up to about 24".. or thereabouts , plently of travel to make adjustments for re- fitting when you are done...
    245,000 miles and counting....
    "Stable genius?"

I replaced my 2003 RR transmission 2 years ago, and did it in my garage with a jack and engine hoist. I jacked up the front and had around 20 inches of room from the floor to the bottom of the running boards. Dropped exhaust, disconnected all electrical connectors, and disconnected the driveshafts. I used the engine hoist over the engine bay with a ratchet strap attached and wrapped around the bellhousing and used the jack on the rear. I had to get a bigger jack from harbor freight that had a high lift capacity 22" i think ($80 and i was due for an upgrade anyway). A friend was in control of the engine hoist and i was under the car with the jack. After removing torque converter bolts and bellhousing bolts, i pulled the transmission away from the engine and then we slowly lowered the transmission via the hoist and the jack an inch or so at a time. This also made installing it much quicker as well.

Your 2012 may be a bit different, but i'd say its a very similar procedure. I took my time and i think it took around 4 hours to remove and another 4-5 to install.
    Ryan
    2003 Range Rover 4.4
    w/2012 Autobiography Conversion - Upgraded BM53, MK4 Navigation, Aux input & Sirius. Full Westminster Interior
    2003 Land Rover Discovery II
    2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L 5-speed
    1973 Jaguar XKE V12

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now