My First Rover purchase....
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My First Rover purchase....

FRESHMAN ROVER

My First Rover purchase....

Hello Everyone,

As you already know, I have been on the market for an L322. This forum has a lot of great info regarding maintenance, repairs and model differences from year to year. I narrowed my search down to two possible vehicles, and Im hoping you can help me decide:

2005 L322 with 104,000 miles on it. $6,500
    The RR is a little rough on the outside, with few nicks and a cracked rear bumper. However, its a 2 owner car. The seller has had it since 24K miles, and came out with a folder full of maintenance records from both the dealership and an independent shop.
    The big plus with this one is that big ticket items like air suspension and transmission rebuild has been done. As far as I know timing chain guides or tensioners have not been replaced.

2008 L322 with 91,000 miles on the car . $10,000
    Based on carfax, the car had three owners
    -First owner had it for 2.5 years and 37K miles. Corporate, was it a dealer loaner?
    -Second owner had it between 37-72K miles. Carfax shows rear end collision. Current owner claims, someone hit the car from the back during stop and go traffic.
    Carfax shows "involved in rear impact with another vehicle. Rear primarily damaged, vehicle derivable"
    Otherwise the car shows maintenance inspections at a LR dealership roughly every 4K miles.
    -Third owner is the guy Im considering buying from now. He had the car for two years and put less than 20K miles on it. (8977 average). However, he has absolutely no maintenance records.
    I asked about the typical items for this year like compressor, suspension, water pump, expansion tank....nothing. He claims that regular maintenance was done at his local mechanic but has no receipts.
    The car is not registered now, and the last entry on carfax is 08/03/2015 Listed as dealer vehicle sold at auction. Which leads me to believe he is not an actual owner but just got it at an auction to make a quick buck

Regardless of which car I go with, I will not buy it without having a PPI done at a local dealership.
    The 2008 RRSC seems like a better deal, it also looks really nice, despite the shady history. Assuming the local dealership does not find anything major during PPI, should I go with that one?
    Should I go with 2 owner 05 which has good maintenance history, but according to everything I read are much less reliable?
    Thank you in advance for your valuable knowledge and advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

If I had $10k, I would go with the 05 and spend money doing the timing chain and guides and small ticket items needed. That should set you back close to $8K while knowing the vehicle is well maintained and documented. The extra $2k can be put in savings for when something else goes wrong. The 08 is a low mileage which is great but at $10k and undocumented services it sounds too shady to even consider as an option.
    2005 RR HSE 4.4 Java Black
    2004 RR HSE 4.4 Zambezi Silver

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I think you should go for the 2008. It has a newer interior and is better looking on the outside. However after driving the car you can find out whether it’s been maintained or not. I have a 2007 HSE and they’re amazing. Way better than the 2005 so I’d suggest going for the 2008. Go to the dealership and show them the car. They can help you find any issues

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I have been regularly looking at this forum for over a year and it seems to me that the majority of L322 owners that report problems are those with pre-2007 cars. If that 10k car is a supercharged version you will be getting all options and the performance will be better. I have a 2008 RRSC and like it very much. Previous owner did install a rebuilt transmission at the 10 year mark but otherwise no major issues. An LR dealer should be able to tell you what shape it is in.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: My First Rover purchase....

I see Rovah's point, it is smart to have few bucks put away for that emergency repair...or three. I also agree with Gordo and 2010. The weeks of research online point to a lot of issues in 03-05s. You dont hear as much from 07-09 owners. HOWEVER, is the dealership competent and trustworthy enough for me to base my decision on if I go with the 08 and no history? I drove the car, it sounded and felt ok. Im just afraid of the big ticket maintenance items not being taken care of.

SOLIHULL ROVER

Find a cleaner 2007+ do not buy a 2003-2006

Be patient and keep your search on going.

Sent from my iPhone X
    08 Range Rover Supercharged (stock)
    02 Range Rover Westminster (stock)
    98 Discovery LE Tdi 5 speed, Warn winch, OME.

My 06 was an auction vehicle, it was traded in to a Toyota dealer (YES, a Toyota dealer) and they just rolled it over to an auction house about a week later, where the independent dealer I bought it from picked it up. Auction cars do not necessarily mean anything bad. Bought mine at 113K as the 4th owner (not including the toyota dealer, auction house, or the dealer I got it from), and its at 196K now 4 years later. No real issues (knock on wood), to date just keep up with the maintenance, keep the interior dry, and don't let stuff go and the trucks treat you pretty well. No complaints on mine, except I have some DS rear wheel well rust that needs attention, wen't from a little bubble to a bunch of bubbles pretty quick. I would definately be looking in the 06 to 09 range, even though the 06's appear to be everyone's favorite red headed stepchild. 2010's and up are only an option if the timing chains have been done, or they are going to give it to you.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA
    2006 HSE Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior

FRESHMAN ROVER
    A further thought is that buying an RR with dents will detract from the pleasure of ownership. My 2008 has a few door dings and it annoys me whenever I happen to see one. I would pay an extra $2k to get a dent-free body that shines up nicely. Based on my readings the 2007-2009 years are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
    Be patient and keep your search on going.
    I second this recommendation.
    2010 RR SC
    2007 RR SC

Yes keep looking. Neither of these is ideal, unless you try to choose the lesser of two evils
    Only consider the 2017-2012 L322's and only from private sellers with recent service records.
    Keep in mind to factor in $5k timing chain for 2010-2012.
    ---
    2011 RR SC
    2014 F-Type S
    2006 RX400h
    2005 XJ8L
    2016 Prius

I'd like to mention that even updated AJ133 5.0s have timing issues

no getting around it

everyone even with a 2019 will need tensioners at some point near 100k, especially if 10,000-15,000 miles oil changes are used

and now PCV valves are getting to be a larger issue, as well as high pressure fuel pumps

My 50k miles L494 has very quiet timing chain clatter, and without vacuum a LOT of cam phaser noise.

I'd say stay away from 10-12 unless it has JUST gotten its timing gear redone, 3rd generation timing gear will last 100-150k miles.

07-09 is the most reliable, my friend had 270k miles on his 2006, and besides dozens of electrical problems that were left alone, it ran great. It finally died when all of the coolant puked and severely overheated.

It still runs. Just hard to start due to low compression. Timing gear looked PERFECT. Barely any wear on the plastic guide portion, and the tensioners were fine. Phasers were fine as well.

Oh cool, this is my 1000th post.
    I'm the guy that buys a chicken salad to only eat the chicken
    2017 Range Rover HSE
    2014 Range Rover Sport Dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by Keralis View Post
    I'd like to mention that even updated AJ133 5.0s have timing issues

no getting around it

everyone even with a 2019 will need tensioners at some point near 100k, especially if 10,000-15,000 miles oil changes are used
    If that's the case, why don't I see any timing chain threads on the L405 board?
    ---
    2011 RR SC
    2014 F-Type S
    2006 RX400h
    2005 XJ8L
    2016 Prius

too new.

My indy shop has done a couple 2013 FFRRs, and several 2014 V6 L494s with the updated timing chains. When you start talking to the mechanics doing the work, you'll see that is is much less widespread at this moment, but will eventually catch up. A couple Rover dealer techs on the Facebook forums have also been show casing failures on even newer trucks, with relatively low mileage.
    I'm the guy that buys a chicken salad to only eat the chicken
    2017 Range Rover HSE
    2014 Range Rover Sport Dynamic

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thank you for all the responses. I would like to stay with the older body style so 09 is as high as Im willing to go. I am really on the fence here. I can have the 05 with records for about 6K. Ideally I would like a 07-09 supercharged, but with 10k budget and 2-3K left over for incidentals finding one with less than 100K might be hard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now