2004 L322 M62TU Vanos Problem [Videos embedded]
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2004 L322 M62TU Vanos Problem [Videos embedded]

2004 L322 M62TU Vanos Problem [Videos embedded]

I'm in the process of dismantling one of my M62TUs to replace timing chain guides and noticed a weird problem with one of the VANOS units. Please see the videos below, you can see the passenger's side bank (CYL 1-4) Vanos unit extending out on a manual (clockwise) turn of the crankshaft, where the driver's side bank, CYL 5-8 Vanos unit stays in its place. Every rotation or so, the passenger's side bank Vanos snaps back and oil spurts out of the seals.

Is this a stuck Vanos solenoid Non Return Valve? (post by ddillenger)

Please review the video below, note that the problem Vanos is the first video for CYL 1-4, Passenger's side bank. First major spurt is ~45 seconds in.

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 M62 CYL 1-4 Bank Vanos on Manual Clockwise Crank
    MJR
    2004 Range Rovers, HSE (L322, M62TUB V8 4.4L)
    Rover 1: Java Black,
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit, Factory Front Brush Guard and Fixed Side Steps
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Tow Package, Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit
    North American Spec

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 2004 L322 M62TU Vanos Problem

For completion, here's a short video of the other side, which doesn't appear to suffer from the same problem.

2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4 M62 CYL 5-8 Bank Vanos on Manual Clockwise Crank
    MJR
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit, Factory Front Brush Guard and Fixed Side Steps
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Tow Package, Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit
    North American Spec

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I did not observe oil spurting like that when I did my chain and guides two years ago.

You our might as well replace the return valves when you’re in there. Cheap insurance.

I also rebuilt the Vanos units with the Beisan kit.
    2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4L AJ41
    2004 Range Rover HSE 4.4L M62

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Absolutely do the Beisan systems rebuild kit on both banks, if there is oil there it means oil is being kept up there by the NRV. Good thing. Oil leaking out, rebuild kit time. That's where the seals have failed and letting pressure out. Pressure is obviously what powers the phasers, so as soon as this job is completed you'll note more low end torque and higher end power. Think Honda V-Tec, you'll notice that.

Replace both NRVs BMW part #11111734667, obviously bank 1 NRV is leaking.

To remove the NRV use a 10mm 1.00 pitch bolt, or a
    10mm 1.25 pitch bolt will work to thread some into the NRV.

Bank 2 is normal operation, NRV closed with no oil pressure. Letting oil stay in the VANOS unit to stop startup phaser rattle.
    I'm the guy that buys a chicken salad to only eat the chicken
    2017 Range Rover HSE
    2014 Range Rover Sport Dynamic

Keralis and all,

Need your help. I've rebuilt both Vanos units with the Beisan systems full kit and pressed them to spec. I also bought a third Vanos unit off eBay and did the same to have a spare.

I replaced both NRVs, did the full timing chain job, Replaced the Vanos Distribution Piece Gaskets, torqued everything to spec, cleaned up everything and lubed it all in a synthetic assembly lube (liquid), but I'm encountering the exact same issue on the passenger's side CYL 1-4 bank on manual crank.

I assumed the CYL 1-4 bank Vanos was bad, so I swapped it over for the 3rd unit I have (also replaced the seals and pressed it) and it's doing the same thing. Is this due to a lack of any oil pressure since the full system is dry? Will it operate normally when there is oil pressure? Or is there something wrong with either the Vanos or something else in that bank?

Please review the videos below. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

2004 Range Rover HSE M62 CYL 1-4 Bank Vanos on Manual Clockwise Crank (After Rebuild)

MJR
    North American Spec

Once again, for completion, here's a video showing the other side.

2004 Range Rover HSE M62 CYL 5-8 Bank Vanos on Manual Clockwise Crank (After Rebuild)

MJR
    North American Spec

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now