L322 2002-2005 Fuel pump - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: L322 2002-2005 Fuel pump

Re: L322 2002-2005 Fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    @Mark C: @diff: Thanks for your feedback. I'm very familiar with the oetiker clamps and have my pincer handy if necessary, however, which hoses are you refering to? All of the external hoses going to the pump assembly on my 2004 are hard, but flexible plastic with plastic snap terminals on all of the fuel lines. Even inside the tank, the two crossover hoses from the second float assembly have a plastic connector that connects to the main pump assembly. Any insight would be appreciated on what specific lines requiring oetiker clamps would be appreciated.
    In case diff doesn't revisit this thread, the Oetiker clamp is the one inside the fuel pump assembly, where the pump itself connects inside of the assembly.
    If you're replacing the whole pump assembly and not just the (much more reasonably-priced) pump itself, then you won't need to worry about it.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOLIHULL ROVER
    It is the line that the actual fuel pump is connected to. In other words pressure out. Perhaps i misunderstood and you are changing the whole assembly. Mine bled off quickly as a regular type hose clamp will not properly tighten the line. Yes the hose from opposite side of tank clips in and has o rings so no change or issues there.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE sold
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

SOLIHULL ROVER
    Thanks 03. I did not see your post so excuse thd redunancy. One other point i found while testing the pump is that with a guage on the fuel rail when the key is turned (but not to start)the pressure comes up but the pump will shut off. If the pressure drops off quickly you will know that the line is bleeding off. Might be worth checking it before you close everything. As an fyi the pump will shut off without the engine running once up to pressure. Not sure what signal keeps the pump running when the engine is running.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE sold
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

@Mark C: Thank you again for your detailed and clear explanation. I now understand the principle of the jet operation and how those two connecting tubes work. You also helped give me the confidence to dive into the fuel tank once again. When I got in there, I discovered the problem, the jet pump hose and lead connection to the main pump assembly had worked themselves loose and were disconnected. This was due to an installation error on my part a few months ago when I installed the new pump; I almost certainly did not push the hose/lead connection onto the main fuel pump assembly deep enough so it didn't lock.

Well, although the old sender is still good, while I had the tank seals open, I replaced the sender with the brand new Pierberg unit that came with my Pierberg pump combo from AutoHausAZ. It was simply to locate the tank molding location where the jet pump/second float assembly fits into and this time I had the luxury of only having to deal with half a tank of gas instead of a near full tank that I had last time when my fuel pump failed.

I had enormous difficult pushing the new sender hose/lead connection from the jet pump onto the main fuel pump assembly, though. It did not want to go on, but with careful pressure I was able to get it fully seated eventually. Unfortunately, when wrestling with it, the fuel pump assembly got caught on the side of the fuel tank opening and the plastic lock lever on the main fuel pump assembly that locks the jet pump host/lead connection on, snapped off outside of the tank, so I just made sure I fully seated the jet pump in hopes that it won't come back off.

Anyways, upon startup, my fuel gauge returned to the correct level. After checking for leaks (none), I filled the tank up and it reported a full tank, so mission success! Thanks again.

BTW: When removing the fuel pump plastic hose connections, it is a nerve-wrecking endeavor, as I snapped my original fuel pump plastic hose barbs months ago which lead to me replace the entire assembly. I found some suggestions in other posts here that the best way to remove those squeeze and snap on connections is to use the sharply angled-end of a plastic trim removal tool like this. Using a tool like this applies even upwards pressure that, I believe, puts the least amount of lateral force on the plastic hose barbs, minimizing the risk of snapping them.

PSA: If you snap a hose barb connection, a near $700 fuel pump assembly becomes useless.

Trim Removal Tool; Safe Way to Remove Land Rover Plastic Snap on Fuel Connections by M J R, on Flickr
    MJR
    2004 Range Rovers, HSE (L322, M62TUB V8 4.4L)
    Rover 1: Java Black,
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Cherry Trim, Tow Package [Rescue work in progress]
    North American Spec

Well irony it seems was out for me! Despite my best efforts, today Rover 1 stalled due to lack of fuel pressure. As soon as the engine stalled while moving, I immediately shifted to neutral and coasted to the shoulder. When I pulled over and looked under the car, saw fuel leaking from the passenger's (pump assembly) side. So I pulled the fuses and relay for the fuel pump and called a tow truck, luckily I was only 5 minutes from home. Why did I pull the relay and fuses? Because I didn't want the fuel pump trying to prime and push more fuel out of the fuel tank into the road when the key was inserted, in order to get the car into neutral for the flatbed tow truck.

The orange plastic fuel pipe connector that attaches to the pump and to the blue line is damaged internally and bits of orange connector have broken off. As a result, when I push the connector onto the fuel pump plastic hose barb, it clicks, but with minimal effort, it can be pulled right back off. The black line is okay, but the blue line is affected. Under the pressure of the running pump, the blue line connector just pops right off and that's the source of the fuel loss.

Below is a video (yes I know it's in portrait but it was one handed and I was stressed) showing it in detail and some pictures.

I've read that the book procedure is to drop the tank and replace the entire line, have anyone has had any experience repairing/replacing the connector itself? If possible, I would like to retain the blue line and repair the connector without having to drop the tank.

2004 Range Rover HSE L322 M62 Broken Fuel Pump Connector
    by M J R, on Flickr

by M J R, on Flickr

by M J R, on Flickr

by M J R, on Flickr

MJR
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Cherry Trim, Tow Package [Rescue work in progress]
    North American Spec

From reading some of the other threads, I see that an entire new black and blue pipe section with orange fittings can be sourced through LR part # WJP000480, however, I just found this thread, and I think i'm going to go the route of replacing the connector itself.
    MJR
    North American Spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

Not that it helps you but maybe will help others in the future, but is there a special tool that removes the "not so quick disconnect" fitting of these fuel hoses? Seems like a horrific design and very much prone to breaking unless there's a special tool that unlocks it safely.
    On a topic at hand, fuel pump nipple seems to be a standard size, so theoretically, you can just cut off the quick disconnect fitting and make a standard 90-degree elbow with regular rubber fuel hose line and use a standard screw-on clamp. Just an idea if all else fails..
    2004 Range Rover HSE

Thanks dlimanov. We have a temporary solution until we get a chance to splice a male-to-male hose barb union into the factory line. In the long-run I intend on dropping the tank and building new, custom nylon fuel lines with Dorman 5/16" right angle connectors and plenty of slack in the fuel line. The factory solution is built for longevity with its quad locking teeth, but not friendly for service. I do not believe there is any special tool to remove the orange fittings, they are most likely meant to be replaced when removed.

Here's my video describing an emergency fix.

Also, just to document the fix for transparency, here's a link to another thread covering the same problem. I'm also posting my video there so anyone who needs the info can have easy access.
    MJR
    North American Spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    Thanks dlimanov. We have a temporary solution until we get a chance to splice a male-to-male hose barb union into the factory line. In the long-run I intend on dropping the tank and building new, custom nylon fuel lines with Dorman 5/16" right angle connectors and plenty of slack in the fuel line. The factory solution is built for longevity with its quad locking teeth, but not friendly for service. I do not believe there is any special tool to remove the orange fittings, they are most likely meant to be replaced when removed.

Here's my video describing an emergency fix.

Also, just to document the fix for transparency, here's a link to another thread covering the same problem. I'm also posting my video there so anyone who needs the info can have easy access.
    Thanks for the video! it will be useful for the community in the future!
    L322 RR Vogue 2004 4.4L V8 Petrol engine

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now