Front Left Air Strut Leak Question
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front Left Air Strut Leak Question

FRESHMAN ROVER

Front Left Air Strut Leak Question

I took my kid skiing to NH and had to leave the truck outside overnight both nights, as hotel didn't have indoor parking. It was very cold every night, anywhere between -5 to -10 degrees F, and in the morning left front corner was maybe an inch or two lower than the rest of the car. It was never completely down to the ground, like a totally leaked out air strut. Upon start, it would pump up instantly and retain air pressure and maintain height throughout the day, even with the car was parked during the day for a prolonged periods of time. Also, air pump doesn't appear to be running constantly during the day, as it would with a big, persistent leak.
    At home car is parked in a climate-controlled garage and this doesn't happen, even when it sits for a week or more. I'm trying to figure out if the failure of this type is necessarily is in air spring itself or it could be the distribution block or something else. I don't mind replacing struts, just need to confirm them being the cause, and also what aftermarket options aside from Arnott are available out there if they need to be replaced.
    Thanks everyone in advance!
    2004 Range Rover HSE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOLIHULL ROVER

Re: Front Left Air Strut Leak Question

I bought a Max Speeding Rods bag only out of California-about 230 can. to Toronto. I had paid 600 for an Arnott bag only a couple of years ago which lasted just that. The cheap one is a Continental bag i think but the retaining assemblies obvious difference from oem is that the 3 studs are and nuts are about 1mm smaller in dip. than original or Arnott. I think i missed the inner steel washer that sits on the shock tube but it worked for a while. Now I lose air over a few days in near identical temps to what you are in. So my guess is a leak somewhere and most likely in the bag somewhere at some height. The arnott crimp ring somehow allowed the bag to slip out as it is still intact but with age its more likely the bag leaking. A good idea, if you can stockpile, is to find an economical replacement of the bag or assembly and do the job when its comfy. Ours blew in the driveway, while parked, on the hwy at 70 mph is another story but honestly that could happen to any assembly-its just not likely-but someone on here did experience that at speed so we are all at some sort of risk with these things. Perhaps we would not drive if we knew all that could happen. Try to do leak tests, you may get lucky. Check under battery for pin hole leak from acid burn-maybe your battery is working harder in this weather and pushed out some extra acid. That is on here. I just changed the 2 main front to rear brake lines that in spite of being in plastic retainers and protected were horribly rotted at the drivers seat position as if salt water had accumulated there which was the low spot. If front down I would start at the front and work back. I also think the line from the reservoir tank should be checked. Good luck and keep us in the loop.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2000 kent green 4.0 SE sold
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I am in Minnesota, where the temperatures you mention are not uncommon. Never had an issue like you describe except when I had a bad Arnott bag. Replaced it with an Ebay cheapy and never had the issue again.

You need to find the leak - usually start with a visual inspection looking for obvious issues, then pull out the water/soap bottle mix and start digging.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks guys! I'll keep an eye on it and once the weather gets warm enough, will spray the struts with soapy water to locate the leak. Only 60k mi on the Rover but it's 15 years old, so I'm not terribly surprised.
    2004 Range Rover HSE

SOLIHULL ROVER

An update on my slow leaking replacement bag from max speeding rods. I think i found the leak which is my fault because when i assembled the new air spring kit i neglected to add the 2 small diameter o rings that seal the shock shaft to the air chamber. I took apart the other day and i still had the o rings in my kit so installed. I never got an exploded view of the strut or assembly instructions. I also had a closer look at my failed Arnott. It turns out that when the crimp ring was crimped around the bag the bag was improperly placed so was not fully encased by the crimp ring-hence the reason for it blowing out. I must say that the assembly is beautifully made otherwise with the aluminum upper rotating portion and the single o-ring that seals the shock shaft is twice the thickness of the cheap assembly i replaced it with, and it sits in a solid groove vs the cheapo which just has a larger diameter bore the 2 o-rings fit into. As a further point the plastic portion that supports the lower 2 sealing o-rings has almost double thickness plastic webbing compared to the cheapo. Hope this helps someone but at least ours should stay up now. Surprising that without the o rings in place it took a week or more for the air to leak out when warm but one day or so when 0 F.
    2008 Alaska white SC with 128,000 mi. latest diff folly. 2004 Epson green 275k kms now for sale. also 1952 Hough payloader 1959 Nuffield 4DM
    2003 GMC 1500 AWD window van 5.3 L love it in the snow & rain-anytime [on mich ltd m&s ll] 200 plus K miles. getting very rusty.

Mine just started to leak, front left strut was obviously low after sitting all night. Vehicle wouldn't raise, got the standard messages about "vehicle raising" and "suspension will raise when system has cooled". Stepped out of the car to the distinctive sound of hissing from the front left wheel well. No real troubleshooting required! Car has a warranty so I'll take it in for a fix - otherwise I would have done it myself.
    Range Rover HSE 2010 (5.0L V8 NA) with Factory Roof Rack - Zermatt Silver, Black Interior.

SOLIHULL ROVER
    What a luxurious thought. I've been under ours for a week on our lovely gravel drive with rain to boot. Must not be living right. On the upside my code reader just turned green after p0128, p131 1175 and 1172 had been giving me a hard time. Really hope it will last for a while.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now