Water Pump Replacement for 5.0L RR SC
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Pump Replacement for 5.0L RR SC

Hi folks,
    I have a couple questions regarding the water pump replacement procedure on the 2010-2012 Range Rovers w/ the 5.0L motor.
    (FYI, I have the workshop manual docs already)

1) Are the two metal water pump gaskets (included with my Beck-Arnley pump) installed dry? Or is some sealant or dressing preferred?

2) When refitting the Pump, is it easier/best to fit the plastic oil cooler pipe adapter onto the water pump first or install it onto the metal tube on the engine first? Of course I will use a silicone o-ring lubricant on the two o-ring to ease assembly and avoid damage.

3)On that same plastic oil cooler adapter, there is an asymmetric round “disc” in the middle with a ridge on it and a generally odd profile. Does this need to be oriented in a specific way? It appears to fit in any rotational orientation on the water pump but perhaps there is a feature on the engine that will make its alignment more apparent when I actually have the old pump off.

4) Is it preferred to install the Water pump mounting bolts dry or with a dab or anti-seize on them?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I will be tackling this job tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Replacement for 5.0L RR SC-05f47cad-a630-4613-a470-91906e99d9dd_1542653763854.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Anybody?
    With the high failure rate for the water pump on these engines, I figure somebody would have some insight.

So what are you all using to counter hold the fan pulley? I have a proper 36mm wrench but can’t properly hold the fan pulley while loosening (reverse threads) the fan nut. Do I actually need the Land Rover tool to accomplish this? I’ve seen pictures of it and it looks pretty different to the tools I’ve got on hand.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Water Pump Replacement for 5.0L RR SC

I just did replace my fan and fan clutch and borrowed for O'reilly's their fan clutch tool.
    I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BillConn View Post
    So what are you all using to counter hold the fan pulley? I have a proper 36mm wrench but can’t properly hold the fan pulley while loosening (reverse threads) the fan nut. Do I actually need the Land Rover tool to accomplish this? I’ve seen pictures of it and it looks pretty different to the tools I’ve got on hand.
    Well I just wasn’t paying close enough attention to the service manual. It clearly states RH threads for the fan. I was treating it like LH ( reverse threads). Fan came out easily once I tried actually loosening it as opposed to tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by armozo View Post
    I just did replace my fan and fan clutch and borrowed for O'reilly's their fan clutch tool.
    I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the tip. I managed to make my on-hand tools work once I started turning the nut the tight way...

Still looking for insight regarding my original questions, though.

Well since none of the resident experts chimed in, I’ll share what worked for me.

1) Install the metal water pump gaskets “dry”

2) Plastic oil cooler adapter should be installed on the engine side first to ensure proper orientation. (See item 3)

3) It will only fit one way on the engine due to the engine block casting. It is pretty obvious once the water pump is removed. (See attached photo)

4) A little anti-seize on the Water Pump bolts is a good idea for the aluminum engine block to prevent corrosion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Pump Replacement for 5.0L RR SC-89d2bfb1-62b3-4974-a953-bc9038f4ad04_1542842418516.jpg  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now