Another 'Trans Fail Prog' Error - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another 'Trans Fail Prog' Error

Re: Another 'Trans Fail Prog' Error

Confirmed the car is going into 4th gear when I get the 'Trans Fail Prog' error. I was driving the car in manual mode so I can see which gear is selected and as I was going up through the gears it jumped up to 4th and locked.

Stu

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LEGACY VENDOR

Yes, so that doesn’t sound like the A-clutch O-ring issue. You just need to get the ‘Solenoid B error’ validated now. In particular, you need to be looking for any DTC which reads “noise on actuator signal” or similar. If the higher-end diagnostics kit still gives the same solenoid error then it might be worth swapping the complete valve body assembly. After that, it becomes more difficult as you’re involved in trying to trace an electrical/electronic fault.

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER

This is actually insane. You have literally described the problem I am currently having down to the exact detail. My 2003, with 205xxx KM works great for 10-15 minutes upon cold start, shifts smooth like butter, RPM' are normal and shifts are normal. My reverse also " thuds " about 2 seconds after shifting into reverse. Once the range rover has got to normal operating temperature the trans fail safe message appears on the dash ( usually 10-15 minutes into driving off a cold start ).

The past few days It didn't pop up, but after literally just going and driving the Range Rover around the block it decided to show it's ugly pixelated text.
    2003 L322

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I feel you pain mate. I will keep this thread updated until I hopefully get the problem resolved. Hopefully the thread will help yourself and other people get to the bottom of some of their transmission issues. What is it with these cars? Its a definite love hate thing!

LEGACY VENDOR

Quote Originally Posted by 03l322 View Post
    This is actually insane. You have literally described the problem I am currently having down to the exact detail. My 2003, with 205xxx KM works great for 10-15 minutes upon cold start, shifts smooth like butter, RPM' are normal and shifts are normal. My reverse also " thuds " about 2 seconds after shifting into reverse. Once the range rover has got to normal operating temperature the trans fail safe message appears on the dash ( usually 10-15 minutes into driving off a cold start ).

The past few days It didn't pop up, but after literally just going and driving the Range Rover around the block it decided to show it's ugly pixelated text.
    Over half of the 5HP24s that I re-manufacture have been removed from the vehicle because of precisely these symptoms, and it’s almost always the failed O-ring on the A-clutch causing this. The O-ring splits because the axial bearing between the B-clutch hub and the C-clutch drum has failed, allowing the A-clutch drum to slide within the B-clutch drum. The transmission will failsafe to 5th gear if this is the cause.

Stufal69’s issue appears to be different because his transmission selects (the default) 4th gear for limp home, not 5th, and the diagnostics is telling him it’s a solenoid fault.

The chances are that your fault is ‘the usual’ O-ring failure.

Phil

OK so here is what I hope is the final update. The car has been with a different mechanic (James at Henshall Engineering) who had previously repaired the timing chain guides after they decided to disintegrate. He plugged in his diagnostic kit that is capable of reading Land Rover codes and he also read a code stating that Shift Solenoid B was the issue which confirmed my iSoft reader code. He then checked for any continuity issues with the main transmission wiring harness but found nothing. He then dropped the transmission sump to investigate further but found nothing. Next thing to try was to swap solenoid B with one next to it. After swapping the solenoid the error returned and he read the code, the error had followed the solenoid to solenoid C. I was surprised to hear this since I had recently paid someone to change the solenoid for me. We ordered and fitted a new solenoid from Land Rover and the car seems to be running OK now with no Trans Fail Prog errors or limp home mode. Looks like the previous garage replaced the wrong solenoid .

I just want to say a big thanks to RRPhil for his advice, top bloke!

If you are in the Manchester area I highly recommend using Henshall Engineering in Chelford, James is very knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to Range Rovers.

Hi i too having same problem but mine locks to 3rd gear i did today at the traffic lights turn off ignition and remove key then re inserted key and stared it in park and it cleared but again im in same boat 10/15 mins driving and pops back up again is there diffrent levels of fualts dependant on which gear it locks into ?
    Ant help adive would be greatly appreciated
    Just though ide mention its a 55 plate vogue 3ltr td6

Quote Originally Posted by Tango1963 View Post
    Hi i too having same problem but mine locks to 3rd gear i did today at the traffic lights turn off ignition and remove key then re inserted key and stared it in park and it cleared but again im in same boat 10/15 mins driving and pops back up again is there diffrent levels of fualts dependant on which gear it locks into ?
    Ant help adive would be greatly appreciated
    Just though ide mention its a 55 plate vogue 3ltr td6
    Have you had the error codes read?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now