Guys I'm Stuck on road Right Now plz help - Page 3
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Guys I'm Stuck on road Right Now plz help

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Mystery solved. Bad news. The output shaft on tranny and input shaft on transfer case are stripped. I need a new transfer case and tranny. Just really crappy news. Haven't even made the first payment on the Rover yet. Really bummed.
    2012 SC L322

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Guys I'm Stuck on road Right Now plz help

That blows. Maybe this will help with the output shaft, but I don't know what it takes to dig down to the it to get it out, or the new one back in. I'm assuming if you can get a new input shaft for the TC rebuilding that wouldn't be that big of a deal.

https://cobratransmission.com/ZF6HP2...SABEgJIPfD_BwE
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA
    2006 HSE Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks Mark
    2012 SC L322

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Might be cheaper to by a salvaged RR and take the trans and t/c from it and part out the rest. Probably should be exact same year to keep the computers from freaking out though.
    2006 HSE 4.4L Giverny Green

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Gadzooks yeah I was thinking about the possible computer issues. I also thought about even selling parts that are still good of the stuff I need to replace cuz it might help someone who needs to find a used part but I would have no idea how to get that stuff out on web or whatever where anyone who needs it could buy it. Craigslist doesn't cut it for that. LOL
    2012 SC L322

FRESHMAN ROVER

This JUST happened to us 3 weeks ago. Transfer case is "bald" inside and the output shaft is damaged. Used transfer case and transmission installed by local independant shop. Now it will not go into gear. Does anyone know if the newer transmission has to be programmed to work?

Thanks in advance!

What year? Typically yes they do, the Mechatronics unit (the electronics part on the valve body inside the pan) is matched to your VIN. You can use your old one in the new transmission to avoid this kind of problem. I don't know if you can program a new VIN onto one already containing a different VIN.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA
    2006 HSE Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior

My 2012 may have had the same problem, but I'm waiting the dealership's prognosis. It does sound like the same symptoms though.
    I was pulling out of one parking lot at work with no problems. Came to a stop where the parking lot goes to a roadway. As I began to pull into the roadway, the engine rev'd freely and I was able to coast to a safe place about 40 feet away.
    After stopping I shut it off, with no dashboard fault indications at this point.
    I then started it up, and when I put it in gear, I just get the ratcheting sound in reverse, and a slightly different ratcheting sound in drive, but no movement.
    When I put it back in park, I can hear it slowly ratchet against the parking pawl until it what ever is ratcheting slowly comes to a stop.
    It sounds like something's broken in there to me, but I'll see what the dealership says.
    The service advisor took a listen to it when I got it to them, and said it sounded familiar to him, like when there's a parking brake failure. Not the case here though, since it rolls freely in neutral (and maybe when in gear too?).
    But they'll be able to look at it in more detail on Monday.

How can a transmission break like arrukiddenme (and maybe me) experienced?
    In my case, no aggressive acceleration at all, no rough terrain, nothing other than low speed, calm driving in my case, and just driving on the highway in arrukiddenmes case.
    Why would his trans output and transfer case input shaft strip out? Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Granted, I've only had this for almost 3 months, but it's otherwise in good shape and well taken care of.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

Quote Originally Posted by arukiddenme View Post
    Mystery solved. Bad news. The output shaft on tranny and input shaft on transfer case are stripped. I need a new transfer case and tranny. Just really crappy news. Haven't even made the first payment on the Rover yet. Really bummed.
    Sorry to hear that!
    May I ask where did you purchase the vehicle and did you check the Carfax, service records and get an inspection?
    ---
    2011 RR SC
    2014 F-Type S
    2006 RX400h
    2005 XJ8L
    2016 Prius

As it turns out, it looks like the same thing is what happened to mine.

Not real happy with LR if a 2012 can have something so basic fail under normal or even light use.

Please, anyone that experiences this, report it to the Department of Transportation. It is a safety issue to suddenly lose propulsion in traffic.

Report it or any other potential safety-related failure to the NHTSA here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now