Guys I'm Stuck on road Right Now plz help - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guys I'm Stuck on road Right Now plz help

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thank you I'll start there! I said no codes - my mistake - I don't have a code reader, I meant no dash notifications, messages etc.
    2012 SC L322

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Guys I'm Stuck on road Right Now plz help

The transmission was flawless before this? no hesitations or odd shifts? Perhaps your shift cable came loose. 2012 still has the lever shifter, not the pop up dial right?
    Have you checked all the fluids yet?
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

Should still have the shifter, think 2014 was the first year of the rotary shifter in the RR's. You're going to have to get a code reader on the truck, even a generic one to see if there is anything there, then inspect the CV joints, check your fluid levels, etc. Does it grind if you start it in park and don't shift it into any gear? Does it only start grinding after you put it in either drive or Reverse (if so shut the engine off before putting it back in park or you may break the parking pawl off inside the transmission if its still spinning)? Can you spin any of the wheels while the car is on the lift in park?
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA
    2006 HSE Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Yup shifter not dial. We have storms rolling through tonight so I left it on the flatbed (indoors) for tonight. I have to give the guys their flatbed back so I'm going to take it off tomorrow morning. Won't be able to look at it until after work. I'll check fluids.
    2012 SC L322

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Mark - it only grinds when put into D or R. I hope I didn't break the pawl cuz I had my wife shift to D then to P when I was under it (on the road where it stopped) so I could listen. Crap really hope I didn't break that. Not sure if I can spin the tires I'll try tomorrow after work. If I can what does that mean? If I can't what does that mean?
    2012 SC L322

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am so sorry about your truck. I have a 2004 RR HSE and had to replace my transmission two years ago at 140k miles. The dealer quoted 12+K for a new transmission + labor and told me my car was totaled. I contacted an independent just outside of Chicago and they put in a rebuilt transmission with a 1 year warranty, installed for 5.5k. I have the BMW 5 speed automatic transmission. You may have an 8 speed transmission. Please let me know if you would like the name of the shop I used;they are very reasonable with pricing. Good luck!
    2 0 0 4 L 3 2 2 / H S E L U X E p s o m G r e e n / S a n d

FRESHMAN ROVER
    jmod - thx! I'm hoping it doesn't need a new one but... Absolutely would appreciate the tranny shops info.
    2012 SC L322

If the transmission is quiet when the engine is started and the gear selector is in park, and then starts grinding when you put it in drive or reverse I would look at eh CV joints/transfer case as the culprits. If the transmission makes a whiring/clicking noise that slows down after you put back into park, thats a sign that the transmission output shaft are still spinning, and the parking pawl is trying to extend. The parking pawl is just a pin that goes into a notch on the output shaft of the transmission to hold the truck in one place. Thats a definate sign your issue is somewhere after the transmission, either the transfer case is stuck in neutral, which should have an error message displayed on the dash, and maybe a flashing mountain looking light on the bottom right side of the dash. After that is could be any or the numerous CV joints, there are three on the rear driveshaft, 2 on the front and two on each wheel axle shaft. Anyone of those could have come apart, or one of the shafts could have backed out of the axle housings. Not common but it does happen. There was also some kind of a recall on the front driveshaft joint at the front differential. don't know if that extended all the way up to the 2012s or not though.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

If you have access to a lift. There is always the option of buying a transmission from a wrecked vehicle, and installing it yourself. If you can't do it an independent transmission shop could install a salvage transmission, and they often offer a warranty.

I have done this on several cars, but not a Range Rover.

Hopefully it's something simple.
    2006 Range Rove SC Bonnati Grey/Charcoal Interior
    Covington, Ky

FRESHMAN ROVER

Can a transfer box be stuck between H/L

2012 RR L322 Supercharged this is a follow-up to my post yesterday...quoted here..."What happened is - I stepped on gas to accelerate - it responded as if it were in neutral and the engine revved but did not go forward - if I put in D or R it makes grinding noise - no movement, cannot D or R. No codes before no issues before it just happened." This thread today is to ask...it seems the transfer case / motor? Is stuck between gears. Can that happen? How do I further diagnosis / determine? Thank you for your suggestions and information.
    2012 SC L322

Re: Can a transfer box be stuck between H/L

You should keep everything together in the same thread, easier to follow when these two different threads get separated. But saying that, yes they can get stuck in neutral, but unless you were trying to shift between high and low ratios when this happened it wouldn't be trying to change gears and should not get stuck. It shouldn't happen out of the blue while your driving along, and you can't shift from high to low (or low to high) unless the transmission is in neutral. If you can turn either driveshaft by hand, with the transmission in park then either the transfer case is in neutral or your front CV joint on the rear driveshaft (or rear CV on the front driveshaft) has failed. Any failed CV joint will allow all of the engine power to go to the broken CV joint axle or driveshaft and the truck won't go anywhere.
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by arukiddenme View Post
    jmod - thx! I'm hoping it doesn't need a new one but... Absolutely would appreciate the tranny shops info.
    I hope you don't as well. The shops info: Lars Worldwide in Mokena, IL.
    https://www.larsworldwideautomotive.com/

Call Today (815) 464-03948431 West 191st Street Mokena, IL 60448
    2 0 0 4 L 3 2 2 / H S E L U X E p s o m G r e e n / S a n d

FRESHMAN ROVER
    CV joints, etc. all good. Sounded like noise was coming from transfer case so I took it apart everything seems okay. Transmission? If I take off the pan and look for metal and don't find metal fragments can I rule out transmission?
    2012 SC L322

With all 4 wheels hanging (not on the ground) on a frame lift or jack stands none of the wheels or driveshafts can be rotated with the trans in park? Gear indicator on the instrument cluster matches the position the shift lever is in on the console, P=P, R=R, N=N, etc. thru all the gears? Can you cycle the transfer case from low to high and back again from the switch on the console? Do you know if the truck was towed anywhere just before you picked it up? Check to see if there is a fuse in position 37 in the glove box fuse panel (there shouldn't be one - thats the one that forces the transfer case into neutral for towing). Did you get anykind of code reader on it to see if it has any DTC codes?
    M Canning
    Massachusetts, USA

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Mark hey thx for info. The shift matches console. Other questions I'll have to double-check after work. This morning I was looking at transfer case b4 work and the noise is in the case. Verified with another mechanic that the tranny is trying to shift don't think it's tranny hopefully. So me and another mech took the clutch assemblies out of case and opened up the planetary gear assembly. On the schematic it shows that as one unit but it only had few bolts so I figured I'd take it apart. Inside one of the (rods? there are 3) one was down others were up. And two little ball bearings fell out. One of the mechanics (here at my work, they've all been helping after work to try and fix it.) Anyway he asked me to put it out here on the forum to see if anyone can tell us how far apart the clutch assemblies need to be spaced? How much play? Thank u Mark and everyone
    2012 SC L322

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now