Range Rovers Forum banner

2004 Range Rover L322 Stereo Upgrade?

47K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  sharpfork 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the site and just recently got my first range rover. Any help would be much appreciated!

I am looking to upgrade from the stock sat/nav screen. I have read several threads about installation but moreso looking for suggestions on what type of units I should look for. I have read about the Eonon 7" unit, the Dynavin, and the Pioneer NEX, any other suggestions or links for compatible units?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I too am new to this site with a newly purchased 2004 Range Rover L322 looking to upgrade my stereo. I normally use Crutchfield for my car stereo upgrades, but they don't have any information on Range Rovers. I will never buy a system with built in navigation, my Infiniti, Mercedes and Ford truck all came with factory nav and I won't spend $200 each year to upgrade to the latest DVD every year.

Does yours have the Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 system? Mine does and it actually sounds pretty decent with 14 year old speakers. I think for now I'll keep the factory amp and speakers and just upgrade the head unit with an Android device. I've had a proprietary Kenwood system before, and they dropped all support.

#4 ·
I won't spend $200 each year to upgrade to the latest DVD every year.
Map updates are not created by the manufacturers of the cars. Maps are produced by a couple of large mapping companies and offered to car makers under contract and licensing.

Map updates are not available every year either... never have been. Map updates average out to every 2 or 3 years.

DVDs have not been used by mapping companies for quite awhile. LR ditched DVDs then had a brief period of direct to harddrive updates. They then followed industry standard of USB updates. Yes there are also some over the air update car companies out there but it is not a standard yet.

#3 ·
I just bought the GA9201A (with extension cable assy A0577) from Eonon. Total cost with shipping was $409.

I hope to install in the next couple weeks. I'll lose the analog clock, can't recall the last time I actually read it so I don't think I'll miss it. There's a Youtube video out there on a prior model (android version 6), it looks like it installs well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wScLS-iv_LE

#5 ·
I just bought the GA9201A (with extension cable assy A0577) from Eonon. Total cost with shipping was $409.
That looks like an awesome unit! I really like the fact that they have the extension cable that's plug and play. It hits all my desires, hands free and streaming Bluetooth, backup camera, dash camera, steering wheel control interface, Android 8.0... You'll have to update this thread when you've installed the unit.

#6 ·
I'll try to get some photos and details. I'm curious how difficult it will be to hide the cable assembly... I hope it's all plug and play. I've been emailing back and forth with the customer service and they said they couldn't guarantee it would work 100%, but I'm hopeful. Worst case... I'll have to buy a BMW to put my stereo in... :)

#7 ·
Physically it's in. Electrically I have some work to do. I think I bought the wrong wiring harness. I ordered another and will look through Rave to see if I can figure it out. I also contacted them so we will see. I also have the Logic 7 system. I have some learning to do...

I had to do some manipulation to get this to fit physically... not hard. I have some photos if anyone needs them.

Car Vehicle Luxury vehicle Multimedia Center console

#8 ·
Thanks for the update. I also own a 2004 L322 with the Logic 7 system. I am also looking to upgrade to the Eonon GA9201A. Did you get the system working? Did you need the A0579 extended harness instead of the A0577?

I would really appreciate any advice you have installing the system. Thanks in advance for the info.

#12 ·
Finished the install today. Wasn't hard because the A0577 cable worked fine. Also, all my speakers work and the sound is great! I have the logic 7 system and I'm not sure if the amps are working, but it's so LOUD I can't imagine they aren't working. I hooked up the OBDII Bluetooth dongle and the Torque works perfect. I put some songs on a microSD and they sound great. Turned my phone into a hotspot... steering controls work by default. I did have to change bootup logo from BMW to Land Rover, the Land Rover logo is already built in... settings->additional car setting->enter password "8888" -> change logo... or put on a custom logo from you SD card. All the controls on the dashboard still works, like miles to empty. I don't think the analog clock will work, but I didn't unplug my battery when I installed everything so it's still set fine. I installed Sygic, which supports offline maps and the included GPS sensor. Overall, if you are not trying to maintain the original feel, I highly recommend this update.
Text Organism Tree Adaptation Illustration
Organism Adaptation Digital compositing Animation Fictional character
Vehicle door Transport Auto part Vehicle Seat belt
Vehicle door Hand Font Textile Auto part
Text Font Black Organism Line

#17 ·
Rattler1975 thank you for this write-up. I also own a 2004 L322 (for about two weeks now) and I was hoping for a stereo upgrade, but most of my search results came up with negative reviews with the aftermarket radios offered by other companies (only 4 speakers work after the upgrade) so I was skeptical. Your write up answered all of my questions and will probably save me hours in installation "figure this out" guess-work. I'm going to purchase one soon, thank you so much!

#19 ·
hi there...still happy with your Eonon upgrade? I saw your write up and video (nice job!) but apparently, Eonon no longer carry the same model number you purchased. Any idea if their newer model works the same?

#20 ·
I'm in the process of finishing up my Eonon GA9301B (A0582 wiring harness) install. Everything works great, I also installed a backup camera with mine and got it working too, had to excite a wire on the CanBus adapter to get it to work correctly but not a big deal. I wasn't happy with the built in AM/FM antenna and the separate WiFi and GPS antennas so I bought a shark fin antenna that has AM/FM, WiFi, GPS and LTE antennas. Haven't decided on which LTE booster (amplifier) to use yet but it will go where the old CD changer was. Also adding a 12v USB hub so I don't have to use the 2 loose USB adapters.

#21 ·
Can you elaborate on the backup camera wiring hiccup? Which sharkfin antenna did you go with? I am a newbie when it comes to electronics so i am hoping to replicate someone else's success...thanks!

#22 ·
With the backup camera hooked up I was not getting an image on the head unit when I engaged reverse. I looked at the wiring diagram and saw pin 6 on the back of the head unit was labeled 'rearview control wire'. On the A0582 wiring harness, that wire was controlled by the CanBus adapter. I just ran a jumper wire from my backup lights to that wire and it worked. I'm assuming that any vehicle that came from the factory with a backup camera wouldn't need this modification and it would already be getting the signal from the CanBus.

Shark fin antenna link. You will have to specify which 4 antenna leads you want and what connectors you want on them. DAB is for digital audio broadcast, a standard that is used in Europe but not the US, here we use HD radio instead. If you need more information PM me your email address and I'll forward the email I sent to the factory specifying what I needed.

#32 ·
MrE - would it be possible to show how you made the reverse camera work? I just got done installing the Eonon GA9301B in the dash and will be tackling the wiring later on. I did purchase the backup camera and would very much like it to work. Do you have any additional notes on the camera install? Thanks!

#23 ·
Do you still have the hands free phone function ? can the vehicle still transfer your calls via the new stereo like it did with the old unit? does your new stereo allow for hands free calling via your stereo screen?

#25 ·
My 2004 did not have bluetooth from the factory. My Eonon does have hands free bluetooth. My steering wheel does not have the 'phone' button, but all the buttons used to control the factory stereo function correctly with the Eonon. The radio also has streaming bluetooth so I can play music off my phone without having to connect to the radio USB port.

#26 ·
Thanks Rattler, MrE and the others for your informative posts. I have a Dynavin in Rover 2, but Rover 1's BM54 just died due to water ingress, so I decided it was time to do an upgrade. The new Dynavin N7 is overpriced for what it is, so I just picked up the Eonon GA9201A with an A0582 harness, which I'm hoping will work fine.

My first question is: seeing from Rattler's pictures of how the harness plugs into the existing BM54, do you need to have a fully functioning BM54 for the EONON to function correctly? Or can the Eonon work without a BM54 even present?

I'm also planning on wiring up a rear reverse camera in addition to a front bumper cam.

Lastly, I'm an audiophile and have another life in home Hi-Fi, building speakers and such. So I have enormous respect for Harman and the work Dr. Floyd Toole has done in quantifying loudspekaer measurements. I'm also impressed by the work Harman did on the Logic 7, I think the factory amp and DSP setup sounds great in the car and I wish to keep every aspect of it. I want to keep the DSP and ensure that the Eonon uses the Logic 7. Any further tips on interfacing on the Logic 7 would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

#27 ·
Quick update. I have the Logic 7 and it worked fine with the amp and everything, which was one of my initial concerns as well. Everything is still working fine. I'm not 100% sure about the new models offered, but I'd just see what the old models were updated to and get one of those. Make sure you get the wiring harness. I don't have the backup camera...

Everything is still working fine.

The only thing I have a slight problem with is on really bright days it's a little difficult to see the map if I'm driving. I haven't changed any of the default settings, there may be a way to adjust this...

#29 ·
The only thing I have a slight problem with is on really bright days it's a little difficult to see the map if I'm driving. I haven't changed any of the default settings, there may be a way to adjust this...
With the GA9301B they added a 'DIM' button for adjusting the display brightness, you should be able to adjust yours through settings.

#30 ·
rattler1975 and MrE, thanks again for your replies.

Eonon contact me and noted that GA9201A was out of stock, but their replacement model is GA9201B. Among some of the changes, GA9201B no longer has the EONON logo on the front, so it can blend it better with the rest of the dash. They are sending it with an A0582 harness. I can't wait to install it!

#34 ·
I am in the process of installing this into my 2003 Range Rover G4 and I am stuck - I wired everything up and before running the A0582 harness from back to front, I decided to plug in the head unit just to make sure everything is working. It's not. The head unit powers on but I am getting zero sound. The radio also failed to pick up any station while auto scanning. Am I doing something wrong? Here are some pictures of my install so far.

A0582 plug into stock BM54 radio and the stock BM54 harness is plugged into A0582
Wire Electrical wiring Electronics Technology Cable

Unplugged radio antenna from BM54 into A0582 radio jack
Auto part

Plug A0582 into Eonon Canbus decoder that came with the Eonon unit. When I plugged this in, the lights in the car would turn on (I did not disconnect battery).
Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Cable Technology

The front end of A0582 plugged into Eonon unit. It powers up but there is no sound at all and doesn't seem like it's picking up any radio stations. Bluetooth connects from my phone to Eonon but again no sound when playing music.
Auto part Vehicle Space Machine Wheel

I did not connect the center speaker on top of the dash. What am I doing wrong???

#36 ·
Looks like you're missing all the speaker wires where you're plugged into the BM54. You need to grab them from the original BM54 plug, the way you have them running into the A0582 harness they not connected to wires. I tried to get a decent picture of mine, but the interior is all assembled now. They're two plugs, one white and the other is black.

It also appears that you're using the can bus decoder hooked to either the BMW E46/E39 (A) or the BMW E46/E39 (B) adapter that ships with the radio. They're not used, you have a plug on the A0582 harness for the can bus decoder.

#38 ·
The speaker wires, the black and white plug is plugged into the A0582 adapter and the canbus decoder is also plugged into the A0582. I reconnected everything and was able to get bluetooth music for about 20 seconds before the music went away again. Starting to question the integrity of the harness...I've sent an email to Eonon and hoping to get a response.

However, still no radio signal and it doesn't pick up any stations at all. Again, I plugged the radio antenna from the BM54 into the A0582 radio jack...that should be the way to do it right? I thought perhaps I had blown a radio fuse but when I plugged in the factory unit, everything works. So puzzled and kinda frustrated...I thought this was a simple PnP set up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.