2004 Range Rover L322 Stereo Upgrade? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2004 Range Rover L322 Stereo Upgrade?

MrE
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2004 Range Rover L322 Stereo Upgrade?

The reason I asked, is that I read some of the negative reviews for previous models from Eonon that were on the GA9201A review page. Most of those complaints would be apparent almost immediately.

https://www.amazon.com/Eonon-GA9201A...ustomerReviews
    2004 Range Rover HSE
    1986 Newell Motorhome w/2001 Cummins ISM

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Rattler1975 thank you for this write-up. I also own a 2004 L322 (for about two weeks now) and I was hoping for a stereo upgrade, but most of my search results came up with negative reviews with the aftermarket radios offered by other companies (only 4 speakers work after the upgrade) so I was skeptical. Your write up answered all of my questions and will probably save me hours in installation "figure this out" guess-work. I'm going to purchase one soon, thank you so much!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quick update. Stereo still running fine. Happy with the upgrade. If I was any negative thing, the screen is somewhat hard to see on sunny days when trying to navigate via GPS. There is a glare. Other than that still a solid buy and I'm happy with it.
    Ranger Rover L322 2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

hi there...still happy with your Eonon upgrade? I saw your write up and video (nice job!) but apparently, Eonon no longer carry the same model number you purchased. Any idea if their newer model works the same?
    1991 Range Rover SWB
    2016 Land Rover LR4 Landmark

MrE
    FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm in the process of finishing up my Eonon GA9301B (A0582 wiring harness) install. Everything works great, I also installed a backup camera with mine and got it working too, had to excite a wire on the CanBus adapter to get it to work correctly but not a big deal. I wasn't happy with the built in AM/FM antenna and the separate WiFi and GPS antennas so I bought a shark fin antenna that has AM/FM, WiFi, GPS and LTE antennas. Haven't decided on which LTE booster (amplifier) to use yet but it will go where the old CD changer was. Also adding a 12v USB hub so I don't have to use the 2 loose USB adapters.
    2004 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by MrE View Post
    I'm in the process of finishing up my Eonon GA9301B (A0582 wiring harness) install. Everything works great, I also installed a backup camera with mine and got it working too, had to excite a wire on the CanBus adapter to get it to work correctly but not a big deal. I wasn't happy with the built in AM/FM antenna and the separate WiFi and GPS antennas so I bought a shark fin antenna that has AM/FM, WiFi, GPS and LTE antennas. Haven't decided on which LTE booster (amplifier) to use yet but it will go where the old CD changer was. Also adding a 12v USB hub so I don't have to use the 2 loose USB adapters.
    Can you elaborate on the backup camera wiring hiccup? Which sharkfin antenna did you go with? I am a newbie when it comes to electronics so i am hoping to replicate someone else's success...thanks!
    1991 Range Rover SWB

MrE
    FRESHMAN ROVER

With the backup camera hooked up I was not getting an image on the head unit when I engaged reverse. I looked at the wiring diagram and saw pin 6 on the back of the head unit was labeled 'rearview control wire'. On the A0582 wiring harness, that wire was controlled by the CanBus adapter. I just ran a jumper wire from my backup lights to that wire and it worked. I'm assuming that any vehicle that came from the factory with a backup camera wouldn't need this modification and it would already be getting the signal from the CanBus.

Shark fin antenna link. You will have to specify which 4 antenna leads you want and what connectors you want on them. DAB is for digital audio broadcast, a standard that is used in Europe but not the US, here we use HD radio instead. If you need more information PM me your email address and I'll forward the email I sent to the factory specifying what I needed.
    2004 Range Rover HSE

Do you still have the hands free phone function ? can the vehicle still transfer your calls via the new stereo like it did with the old unit? does your new stereo allow for hands free calling via your stereo screen?
    245,000 miles and counting....
    "Stable genius?"

FRESHMAN ROVER

also...what is the reason after this upgrade the stock clock becomes inoperable?
    1991 Range Rover SWB

MrE
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by pontoon View Post
    Do you still have the hands free phone function ? can the vehicle still transfer your calls via the new stereo like it did with the old unit? does your new stereo allow for hands free calling via your stereo screen?
    My 2004 did not have bluetooth from the factory. My Eonon does have hands free bluetooth. My steering wheel does not have the 'phone' button, but all the buttons used to control the factory stereo function correctly with the Eonon. The radio also has streaming bluetooth so I can play music off my phone without having to connect to the radio USB port.
    2004 Range Rover HSE

Thanks Rattler, MrE and the others for your informative posts. I have a Dynavin in Rover 2, but Rover 1's BM54 just died due to water ingress, so I decided it was time to do an upgrade. The new Dynavin N7 is overpriced for what it is, so I just picked up the Eonon GA9201A with an A0582 harness, which I'm hoping will work fine.

My first question is: seeing from Rattler's pictures of how the harness plugs into the existing BM54, do you need to have a fully functioning BM54 for the EONON to function correctly? Or can the Eonon work without a BM54 even present?

I'm also planning on wiring up a rear reverse camera in addition to a front bumper cam.

Lastly, I'm an audiophile and have another life in home Hi-Fi, building speakers and such. So I have enormous respect for Harman and the work Dr. Floyd Toole has done in quantifying loudspekaer measurements. I'm also impressed by the work Harman did on the Logic 7, I think the factory amp and DSP setup sounds great in the car and I wish to keep every aspect of it. I want to keep the DSP and ensure that the Eonon uses the Logic 7. Any further tips on interfacing on the Logic 7 would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    MJR
    2004 Range Rovers, HSE (L322, M62TUB V8 4.4L)
    Rover 1: Java Black,
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Cherry Trim, Tow Package [Rescue work in progress]
    North American Spec

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quick update. I have the Logic 7 and it worked fine with the amp and everything, which was one of my initial concerns as well. Everything is still working fine. I'm not 100% sure about the new models offered, but I'd just see what the old models were updated to and get one of those. Make sure you get the wiring harness. I don't have the backup camera...

Everything is still working fine.

The only thing I have a slight problem with is on really bright days it's a little difficult to see the map if I'm driving. I haven't changed any of the default settings, there may be a way to adjust this...
    Ranger Rover L322 2003

MrE
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by mjrgroup View Post
    My first question is: seeing from Rattler's pictures of how the harness plugs into the existing BM54, do you need to have a fully functioning BM54 for the EONON to function correctly? Or can the Eonon work without a BM54 even present?
    You will need a functioning BM54 for it to work.
    2004 Range Rover HSE

MrE
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rattler1975 View Post
    The only thing I have a slight problem with is on really bright days it's a little difficult to see the map if I'm driving. I haven't changed any of the default settings, there may be a way to adjust this...
    With the GA9301B they added a 'DIM' button for adjusting the display brightness, you should be able to adjust yours through settings.
    2004 Range Rover HSE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now