Stupid Stupid Bongs and Beeps - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stupid Stupid Bongs and Beeps

Re: Stupid Stupid Bongs and Beeps

My RR scared the crap out of me yesterday...

I was driving through a flooded roadway, about 2 ft deep (roughly the max wading depth in the manual, but I've read of people going deeper so I felt confident) at the deepest spot and about 100 yards long with a couple abandoned vehicles in the water that I had to drive off the road to go around (yes I got out to check the depth because the alternate route would have added about an hour to my trip, but I would rather spend an hour than find out it was 3ft+ deep in the middle only after a failure). About halfway through near the deepest part, my RR decided it was time to let me know that the air temperature had dropped to 37 degrees!!! My wife had already protested both when I drove around the barriers where the road was closed, and when I suggested we could drive through the water. I would have never lived it down if something went wrong. The fear induced adrenaline surge when that bong sounded was pretty intense.

There really should be a way to disable that silly warning. The RR performed flawlessly, and I feel guilty for even thinking for a split second that it would have failed to cross this relatively simple obstacle.
    2004 Range Rover Westminster (sold)
    2007 Range Rover SC (sold)
    Arizona, USA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LOL every time I hear that temperature chime I think, crap what now.
    2016 Range Rover HSE TD6
    2012 LR4 HSE Lux
    2010 Range Rover Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover HSE

JUNIOR ROVER

On the other hand we could really use a bong that says "Your front brake caliper is about to give out and it would be unwise to start off on a 200 km trip into the wilderness without fixing it first.."

Ask me how I know.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Hi All,
    BMWs have the **** 37 degree Bong and the Range Rover has a lot of BMW influence built into it.
    2002 Range Rover P38 4.6 HSE LHD Petro
    2013 BMW F10 528i
    1986 Jaguar XJ6 4.2 (Federal)

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it think.

Funny thing is mine does not do an audible signal when the snowflake comes on - and that snowflake comes on a lot during my winters.
    Range Rover HSE 2010 (5.0L V8 NA) with Factory Roof Rack - Zermatt Silver, Black Interior.

FRESHMAN ROVER

LOL every time I hear that temperature chime I think, crap what now.
    I have the same feeling whenever I hear the bing - usually followed by a four letter word that I shouldn't use in front of the children!
    I couldn't agree more. GULP !!!
    2009 R/R HSE
    2001 R/R HSE
    1971 SER III
    2006 Jaguar Super V8
    1990 R/R Classic (dearly missed)
    1990 Jaguar XJ-40 VDP (RIP)

Cool story bro, BUT I would not attempt to drive in deep water with my truck,
    it may be possible but its a sure fire way to reduce the service life,
    Oh I would stay out of mud/clay as well
    Stan

2010 Supercharged, Santorini Black/ BlackLeather/Piano Black wood

SENIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmerlin View Post
    Cool story bro, BUT I would not attempt to drive in deep water with my truck,
    it may be possible but its a sure fire way to reduce the service life,
    Oh I would stay out of mud/clay as well
    said case what is the use of owning a premier 4x4 if it will never see of road use?
    2k p38 4.6
    95 lwb 4.6
    01 d2 4.0

well you seem to have missed my point
    I suggested to Stay out of deep water and stay out of mud and clay.

Going off road is a lot of fun but subjecting the machine to these things I listed will cause damage later on.
    and it could be very expensive.

The water will get everywhere, if it has salt in it things will be even worse.

Go remove a few of the fender liners and you will find all kinds of cool things attached to the chassis, suspension air hoses and tanks and valves
    lots of electrical parts like parking sensors, height sensors, ABS fuel system parts.

Later trucks have a nifty electronic parking brake unit and if its been in a damp environment,
    the chances are good the cable housings have holes in them, and the water will leak into the 1200.00 EPB unit.
    Not to mention filling the E brakes with water

Mud and clay will fill the brake rotors and calipers, and hubs,
    it can ooz into and clog into the belly pans and the exhaust pipes ,
    the cats will bake the stuff into brick like material.
    you could spend days getting the dried mud out of your brake rotors if they get filled, BTDT.

AC compressor clutch bearings and alternator bearings as well as serpentine belt rollers wheel hub bearings ,
    will soon show signs of fail after being immersed.
    polished metal surfaces at the trans input shaft and engine main seals will start corroding

Really no upside that I can see,
    and unless its an emergency,
    their is really no good reason to take a chance of a deep water crossing.
    as stalling the vehicle and causing harm to the occupants could occur.
    really just because you can doesnt mean you should.

Let the guys with the throw away jeeps go muddin and deep water diving as thats about where you can end up if you try this.
    Stan

2010 Supercharged, Santorini Black/ BlackLeather/Piano Black wood

JUNIOR ROVER

Cut the guy some slack!!

He used his Range Rover to it's potential. Not even it's full potential.

It's made to take you where you need to go. He needed to go through the flooded part of the road. He didn't even exceed the wading depth it's rated for.

Now on the other hand, if he was in the middle of a swap playing with the jeeps, rip him a new one!

I've been everywhere with my L322. With the jeeps on rocks, sand, swamps, you name it.

I had to pay a zoom boom to drag me out of a swamp once because my air compressor overheated and dropped the suspension. Bottomed out. Nobody else could get near me. Truck was fairly new to me. I knew it had a leaky bag in the front. Mud was as deep as my tires. Water was deeper than the mud. I was a half km off the trail into a swamp, just being a retard trying to show off. Would have made it if it wasn't for the leaky bag tho. Took hours and hours to get me out. Chain to the forks, retract the forks, dig them in to the ground to push the off-road boom back, pull the forks out and pull me the length of the arm extension, dig them into the ground again and push the zoom boom, pull the Rover some more. My friend HATED me for that.

That's the kind of stupidity that you can rip someone for. Lol. I was very stupid.

And yeah, THAT kind of abuse can be rough on a Range Rover vs. a throw away Jeep or pickup.

My truck still smells like swamp on rainy damp days but I don't regret it. Yes, there was mud and swamp and grossness in everything, everywhere. But not in the vehicle.

I'd make sure to spend $20 and pressure wash everything any time I do that. And no, it'll never get rid of it all. I still find mud and grass etc. in random places under there the odd time.

But I disagree with you somewhat, your over exaggerating the damage. It's not THAT bad.

I have literally been stuck in mud and water 50 times since I've owned my L322. I have done countless stupid things with it. And it has been really really good to me. I have put over 200k on it since I have owned it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2006 L322 4.2 SC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now