Headlamp upgrade options 2002/3 HSE?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Headlamp upgrade options 2002/3 HSE?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Headlamp upgrade options 2002/3 HSE?

I suppose that I really have two questions - what do I already have, and what can I upgrade to......

I assume that I have the base version of Xenon headlights because the high beam is standard halogen. How do I tell if the main beam is Xenon or Bi-Xenon?

The preferred end result is to end up with Bi-Xenon main beam and either Xenon or Bi-Xenon high beam.
    What upgrade options do I have?
    Is a Xenon main upgradable to Bi-Xenon, is the halogen high beam upgradable (and if so then how)?
    Will higher spec units from a later model retrofit?

I don't want to facelift, just update a little

There must be plenty of you who have already done this so please advise me. I did a good search around on the forum, and while there are numerous references to the headlights and various fixes none of the posts really answer my query.

Thanks in advance.
    2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE (gone)
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE (gone)
    2007 Freelander 2 TD4 (gone)
    1998 Range Rover P38 4.6 V8 LPG (gone)
    2002 Freelander 2dr 2.0 TD4 (SWMBO)
    2003 Range Rover L322 HSE 4.4 V8 (I broke it)
    2006 Range Rover L322 Vogue 4.4 V8
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Headlamp upgrade options 2002/3 HSE?

THe main question is why are you wanting to do this? If you are simply looking for improved visibility you will get much farther for a fraction of the cost with a quality bulb upgrade. If you are doing it for cool factor and bragging rights you are forgetting basic things like flash to pass. Stick with a standard bulb on main beam for this reason. Also, if you have fluted lenses so any application with a projector is out the door. Your projected lighting will be scattered all over the road and actually decreases visibility.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    If you are simply looking for improved visibility you will get much farther for a fraction of the cost with a quality bulb upgrade..
    Thanks for that RRToadHall, I just read another post which made me realise that upping the halogen to Xenon is a non starter for flashing etc. so I'll leave that as it is. When you mention a 'quality bulb upgrade' do you mean just the halogen or is there 'better' Xenon?

I could always go down the route of bettering the halogen AND going for Bi-Xenon if that's at all possible.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

From what I understand:
    a) The 2002-2005 L322's had either Xenon dip and Halogen main beam, or Halogen for both dip and main beam. Bi-Xenon is just another name for Xenon lights.
    b) You can tell if you have the Xenon lights as the dip light (the outermost and higher one) should have a central round lens about 6cm in diameter. The Halogen ones you can just see a bulb in the middle.
    c) I don't see any reason why you can't change from Halogen to Xenon lights by changing the whole unit as all the ballast resistor and ignitor needed for the Xenon lights is attached to the light unit. The light units go for anything between £40 and £120 per light on eBay. I assume the light plugs are the same, but not sure.
    d) Xenon lights require a wash feature to pass an MOT in the UK - as dirty lenses can be dazzling for other road users. The 2002-2005 cars used a headlight wiper blade and low pressure water, and the 2006+ cars use a high pressure jet system.
    e) I have seen problems with the 2002-2005 Xenon lights where they power off for no reason, which is caused usually by a faulty ignitor (or sometimes ballast resistor). Switching lights off and back on will normally get them working again, though once this problem starts it tends to get worse and worse. You can change the ignitor, but it means taking the whole light apart and the part is so expensive, it is usually better to find a 2nd hand replacement.
    f) Some change the lights to the later 2006-2009 ones, or the even later 2010+ ones, though this requires changing the whole front end (bumper, grille, mounting brackets etc.). You can see these upgrades advertised on eBay and elsewhere and doesn't really improve the quality of lighting, just modernises the look of the car.

Hope that helps and apologies for any errors....
    current: 2004 4.4 Vogue LPG (BRC sequential)
    sold: 2000 4.6 Vogue LPG (BRC sequential) (bought at 88k, sold at 176k)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks Zebedee

I have the xenon/halogen combination.
    I just need to know if/how to upgrade the xenon to bi-xenon once I can identify if I have bi or not.

As I understand from other threads the bi-xenon has an electric shroud which covers or uncovers parts of the bulb allowing it to have a greater spread of light when in high beam mode (kind of mechanical solution to mimic a dual filament halogen). The standard xenon doesn't have a shroud.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the information.

I replaced my n/s light unit when I had problems. The replacement one had the part number XBC000376 and this had an extra 2-pin socket on the back (similar in size to the indicator/sidelight plugs) - I didn't use it and it didn't seem to affect the light in any way. The o/s light part number is XBC00365 and this doesn't have the extra socket. Perhaps this socket is to power the movable shroud?

Having said that, when I took the original light apart (without the extra plug), this did have a movable shroud inside and you would think this would be powered by the main beam feed.

I think I've reached the limit of my knowledge on this....
    current: 2004 4.4 Vogue LPG (BRC sequential)
    sold: 2000 4.6 Vogue LPG (BRC sequential) (bought at 88k, sold at 176k)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now