2003 HSE fuel line "quick-connect" damaged
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 HSE fuel line "quick-connect" damaged

FRESHMAN ROVER

2003 HSE fuel line "quick-connect" damaged

Hey guys, I'm in dire need of assistance. I'm in the middle replacing my fuel pump assembly. I have removed the assembly. However, I have damaged the two "quick-connect" fittings (the orange piece) that connects to the fuel lines.

Question: Can purchase only the "quick-connect" fittings or do I have to purchase the entire fuel line?

I have to get the rover back on the road!!!!!

Thanks fellas!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003 HSE fuel line "quick-connect" damaged-77057d1402348235-l322-03-05-fuel-pump-rebuild-question-wp_20130526_005.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 2003 HSE fuel line "quick-connect" damaged...NEED HELP A

The quick connects are universal and can be purchased at any local parts house. Take one of the old ones with you to verify proper fit.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    The quick connects are universal and can be purchased at any local parts house. Take one of the old ones with you to verify proper fit.
    Thanks for the response RRToadHall. But, I've been to my local Advance Auto, Auto Zone and Napa Auto Parts. Neither had it (at least I don't think so).

Question: Is there a specific size I need to look for? Maybe a 3/8"? Also, could you possibly show me picture of a quick connect that I need to look for? My poor Rover is in the garage, dismantled and looking sad....lol,lol

Once again, thanks ALOT for the assistance. I really appreciate it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I grabbed them from Oreilly's. Sorry I don;t have a part number. THey are a Dorman item, bubble backed card on the spinning wrack of repair bits.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    I grabbed them from Oreilly's. Sorry I don;t have a part number. THey are a Dorman item, bubble backed card on the spinning wrack of repair bits.
    Thanks. I'll check them out tomorrow. **thumbs up**

Banned
    You can get that fuel line separate it goes down to the fuel filter it's a 2 foot long fuel line not hard to change try these guys there website is theroverspot.com see if they have a good used one or you can contact your local dealer they should have them as people break them all the time changing fuel pumps

Did you ever find the quick connects?

Re: 2003 HSE fuel line "quick-connect" damaged

Since the OP didn't follow-up on this thread, I just went through the same ordeal and found the products.

At least on the 2003-2005 L322s, the fuel line used to connect the filter to the fuel pumps (the blue and black lines that are visible from the pump/top of the tank as pictured above) is 8mm nylon fuel tube, that is factory pre-formed into a perfect fit and mounted onto the outside of the tank. There is very little extra slack. If you do want to replace the factory connectors, you'l have to replace both the black and blue lines entirely with new connectors, which is all part of Land Rover part # WJP000480. The tank would need to be dropped for that.

The Problematic Factory Connectors
    The orange-tipped connectors appear to be a one-way snap-on design with 4 locking "teeth" inside. There does not seem to be any way to expand those teeth out. The only way to remove the connector is to force it off, and you have to be very careful doing it to not snap off the plastic hose barb on the pump. The best way is to use a near-right-angle trim removal tool (like the blue one pictured below) and pop the connector off. Doing that does not ensure that you will be able to put the connector back on as the orange locking tabs could be damaged and not seal properly every again. Most people are able to get it off and back on once. But if you have to go back into and do it a second or third time you will be pressing your luck.

2004 Range Rover HSE L322 M62 Broken Fuel Pump Connector
    by M J R, on Flickr

Trim Removal Tool; Safe Way to Remove Land Rover Plastic Snap on Fuel Connections
    by M J R, on Flickr

If you do break the connector, cut it off cleanly just passed where the end of the barb is on the nylon fuel line, with a hose cutting tool or a razor blade (as flatly as possible). DO NOT USE dull scissors, or any scissors for that matter. If you don't have a clean, sharp cutter, go buy one from a hardware store.

The Temporary Repair
    The SAE equivalent to the 8mm nylon fuel tube in the rover is 5/16" nylon fuel tube. At our local Advance Auto, we found a product, part # Dorman 800-051, Nylon Fuel Line Repair Kit (here's a link). We also used a second product, part # Dorman 800-191, Fuel Line Unions (pack of two) (here's a link).

The fix is simple, after cutting off the factory connect, leaving as much slack as possible, install one of the Dorman 800-191 5/16" nylon fuel unions onto the Rover's 8mm nylon fuel line and connect it to the Dorman 800-051. I chose to leave the full length of the Dorman 800-051 and just gently bend and loop it around. There is a reason for this. The end of that Dorman 800-051 fuel line that's included in the repair kit is perfectly cut and will seal perfectly into the 800-191 union. If you decide to shorten it, you would have to make a precise, straight cut with no burrs to ensure a completely leak-free connection. Push it in all the way, and while still applying pressure on the nylon line into the union, pull out the blue locking connectors. They help lock the nylon line in place to avoid leaks.

Next I would just prime the fuel pump several times (turn the key to ignition 2, but do not crank, turn back, take out, repeat, and then eventually crank, while having your buddy, or running back to the tank to monitor for leaks). I would wrap a blue shop towel under the connections and drive around with the access hole cover open for a while to ensure you don't have any leaks.

I would not recommend leaving the push-fit union in there permanently. IMHO, the best option would be to drop the tank and make completely custom 5/16" nylon fuel lines with those Dorman quick connectors, which are so easy to put on and take off. But if you cannot drop the tank, get someone who has a nylon fuel fitting tool, to push the factory Rover nylon tube over a proper nylon union (like the Dorman 800-012, here's a link), and then add the Dorman 800-051 repair line to that union.

Finally, I made a quick video which describes nearly everything you need to know.

MJR
    2004 Range Rovers, HSE (L322, M62TUB V8 4.4L)
    Rover 1: Java Black,
    Sand Interior, Piano Black Custom Trim, Heated Steering Wheel and Heated Comfort Seats Retrofit
    Rover 2: Java Black, Charcoal Interior, Cherry Trim, Tow Package [Rescue work in progress]
    North American Spec

What's wrong with using a fuel line "disconnect" or removal tool?
    They're made for this.
    These are serviceable connections.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

FRESHMAN ROVER

Mark, do you have a tool/part number that is proven to successfully remove these? I’ve tried a number of fuel line quick disconnect tools st the shop, from cheap Autozone 8-pack universal kits to BMW’s specific Baum Tools one, and not a single one worked. If there’s a tool that does, I’d love to know what it is.
    MJR, thank you for the solid write up!
    2004 Range Rover HSE

Quote Originally Posted by dlimanov View Post
    Mark, do you have a tool/part number that is proven to successfully remove these? I’ve tried a number of fuel line quick disconnect tools st the shop
    I wish I could recall which I used for the fuel lines at both the fuel pump and the filter, but I've got the cheap plastic kit from (I think) Harbor Freight, and the nicer set from Harbor Freight too:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...set-98118.html

It seeks like it was the one that the link goes to.
    I also used them for the transmission cooler line QDs, which were a bit of a pain and broke, but luckily the QD there was replaceable.
    But the fuel pump and filter QDs were unremarkable at the time.

It seems like when I did the work, I posted pics of the QD tolls that I used, but maybe not.
    '03 Range Rover HSE
    Black
    '12 Range Rover HSE 'Lux'
    White

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now