** INFO** First Gen L322 Front Differential Issues/Recal - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: ** INFO** First Gen L322 Front Differential Issues/Recal

FRESHMAN ROVER

re: ** INFO** First Gen L322 Front Differential Issues/Recal

Yep, MLR didn't know anything about it unsurprisingly.

I spoke to LandRover Australia directly and they were very very cagey about confirming/denying that they were aware of the recall.

The fact they wouldn't deny knowledge of it makes me think it's on its way but he did say that such things would likely be done here a couple of months behind the UK/US.
    2008 SC Zermatt Silver
    2003 Vogue 4.4 Zambezzi Silver
    1999 Discovery 2 v8
    1998 TVR Chimaera
    1995 Jaguar XJ6 x300
    1972 Jaguar XJ6 s1
    1976 Rover P6 3500
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I rang my dealer this morning and they confirmed the recall will happen and they are going to ring me in the next week or two so i can book mine in for the repair.

I second that without this site i would never have known about this so thanks to all who post on here.

Carl

FRESHMAN ROVER

Took my TD6 Vogue into my dealer today for the diff upgrade; they gave me their TDV8 Vogue demonstrator as a courtesy car to use for a day and a half. Very nice, now I know what my next vehicle will be, and sod the price of diesel...
    2005 TD6 Vogue.
    2007 Freelander 2 HSE
    1965 Series IIA 88"

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi willrob

My dealer said they havent been given the go ahead to start the recall yet so i will have to wait a week or so possibly.

Dont think id want the new TDV8 for a day, id want one there and then and i have a bad track record at saying "no" to car dealers. It would show mine up for being out of date also i think.

Just one thing, did it feel any better when it came to body roll and general handling ?. I read that after 2006 the suspension set up was greatly improved but my local indie said it hasnt been. Is the handling of the TDV8 better than our older ones ?. Mine rolls and bounces a lot and its the only thing i dont like about it. If its better with the change i may get the upgrade roll bars etc (for now).

Thanks

Carl

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Carl,

Yes, compared to the TD6 it's very good; there is no bounce or body roll, the handling is much much better, it's a very smooth ride and after a short stint on the motorway where 90 came up at a much faster rate than my Td6 those brembo brakes certainly slowed it down very quickly. Don't listen to your indie, go try one. Ours is due for a change next year and thats what I'll be getting. High Command permitting, that is.
    2005 TD6 Vogue.
    2007 Freelander 2 HSE
    1965 Series IIA 88"

LEGACY VENDOR

So by my reckoning at least five contributors to this board (Monty, jogguk, robinc, whitesox & willrob) - all UK based - have now had the new front propshaft/final drive conversion carried out on their Range Rovers. More conversions are imminent (e.g. SGW next week).

Because you're not paying for the work I guess the dealer will just hand you the keys back afterwards without any paperwork (listing part numbers) but is there any chance of one of you guys being able to get your RR on a lift to take & post some photos of the new installation, please?

Phil

FRESHMAN ROVER

Add me to the list. I am taking mine into the Oxford dealer on Wednesday and am getting a tdV8 for the day. Phoned them up last week and asked about the 'diff recall' and was told that there was not one. Instead they were doing a 'diff enhancement' programme and I was asked when I wanted to bring the car in.
    2006 td6 Vogue - Buckingham Blue

one more here. I took my Rover in for a 50k km service to the Dubai dealer and was told they would keep it an extra day for a front diff replacement.
    I'll get as many details as I can on collection.
    RR 2004 HSE Chawton White

JUNIOR ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Ezah_Dubai
    one more here. I took my Rover in for a 50k km service to the Dubai dealer and was told they would keep it an extra day for a front diff replacement.
    I'll get as many details as I can on collection.
    Ezah,

Are you sure they are going to be doing the new front diff "enhancement", and not just replacing the front diff because it is worn. I would be mildly surprised if they are executing the program in the gulf so quickly when they are just getting off the ground in the UK and no sign of it yet over on this side of the Atlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Norval
    Are you sure they are going to be doing the new front diff "enhancement", and not just replacing the front diff because it is worn. I would be mildly surprised if they are executing the program in the gulf so quickly when they are just getting off the ground in the UK and no sign of it yet over on this side of the Atlantic
    Norval - the "enhancement" is entirely pro-active on their part as my diff was fine and they had not inspected it. Seems they are waiting for vehicles to come in for service and then adding it to the work order based on a flag in their database (Q041 carry out service action). Bearing in mind that landrover have a massive client base here and that the dealer in Dubai is apparently they busiest globally, its perhaps not that surprising.
    RR 2004 HSE Chawton White

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRPhil
    So by my reckoning at least five contributors to this board (Monty, jogguk, robinc, whitesox & willrob) - all UK based - have now had the new front propshaft/final drive conversion carried out on their Range Rovers. More conversions are imminent (e.g. SGW next week).

Because you're not paying for the work I guess the dealer will just hand you the keys back afterwards without any paperwork (listing part numbers) but is there any chance of one of you guys being able to get your RR on a lift to take & post some photos of the new installation, please?

Phil
    Phil,

when I had mine done I insisted on being given some paperwork to prove that it had been done. The dealer gave me a photocopy of the parts used (including intercompany discounted parts pricing which was quite interesting . Next time I'm home I'll dig it out and post the parts list here.

Regards

Robin

SGW
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Today my wife's 4.4 HSE had the diff 'enhancement' carried out. On returning home the first thing I did was to get underneath and see what had been done. The propshaft has been replaced with a CV type joint at the diff end similar to the later 06 onwards model, and an extra heat shield fitted by the exhaust downpipe. The transfer box end still has the old original rubber coupling. The diff itself has been out and I am not sure if it was modified by fitting the new style coupling or a grimey seconhand unit been put in. Its certainly not a new or reconditioned diff thats for sure, as I can see its not been apart. The car runs nice and smooth no vibrations etc. As this car has over 100,000 miles on the clock mabe I have newer diff than before. This may be something for people with low mileage cars to be aware of, you may end up with my high mileage diff. I cannot think the main dealer would be stripping and replacing the coupling themselves or they would have been doing so since the first failures occured. I will see how this performs over the next few thousand miles and in the meantime will keep running the Scott Collison unit on my car. Sorry no photos not sure how to post them!!!.
    Stewart.
    Owned first RR in 1978 had 5 since. Present one's 2002 Giverny Green Vogue and 2002 Giverny Green HSE both 4.4 LPG.

FOUNDING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by SGW
    Today my wife's 4.4 HSE had the diff 'enhancement' carried out. On returning home the first thing I did was to get underneath and see what had been done. The propshaft has been replaced with a CV type joint at the diff end similar to the later 06 onwards model, and an extra heat shield fitted by the exhaust downpipe. The transfer box end still has the old original rubber coupling. The diff itself has been out and I am not sure if it was modified by fitting the new style coupling or a grimey seconhand unit been put in. Its certainly not a new or reconditioned diff thats for sure, as I can see its not been apart. The car runs nice and smooth no vibrations etc. As this car has over 100,000 miles on the clock mabe I have newer diff than before. This may be something for people with low mileage cars to be aware of, you may end up with my high mileage diff. I cannot think the main dealer would be stripping and replacing the coupling themselves or they would have been doing so since the first failures occured. I will see how this performs over the next few thousand miles and in the meantime will keep running the Scott Collison unit on my car. Sorry no photos not sure how to post them!!!.
    Stewart.
    How to post pictures: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6643
    Silver 1997 4.6 SSE and Red 2004 4.4 HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by robinc
    Quote Originally Posted by RRPhil

Phil
    Phil,

when I had mine done I insisted on being given some paperwork to prove that it had been done. The dealer gave me a photocopy of the parts used (including intercompany discounted parts pricing which was quite interesting . Next time I'm home I'll dig it out and post the parts list here.

Regards

Robin
    So here's the list of parts that appeared on the copy of the work schedule for my front diff repair:

LR008110 Kit - hardware
    LR008106 Heatshield
    LR008102 Shaft Assy
    LR007758 Flange - Cou(pling?)
    KYG000031 Bolt
    KYH000051 Nut - flange
    568680 Strap- cabl(e)
    TKE000040 Circlip x 2

The bits in brackets are my additions. The work description says "Carry out Q041 recall action, option C (differential spline modification) 54108943 3.6 020202 0.2"

Hope that helps!

Robin

Premium Member

Thanks robinc.

Mark.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now