Range Rovers Forum banner

Venture Cam! .....the point of this is...??

15K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Lummac 
#1 ·
Apart from negotiating an obstacle during ‘extreme’ off road driving what is the point of the Venture Cam? Especially on 05 models. An example being my fathers 05 Autobiography which lacks the rear reversing camera but boasts a Venture Cam. Its safe to say it will only ever be used as a torch. I would think most pre 06 model owners would have preferred a rear camera.

My 06 Vogue came with both but I know I would pluck for the rear reversing camera any day if told I had to decide between the two.

#7 ·
To be honest I havent even tested the venture cam on my 06 Vogue but know for a fact that on my fathers 05 model it switches off after 5mph + is reached.

This might however have something to do with our UK traffic laws in that a TV image cannot be displayed when the car is in motion.
German law/car spec may be differnet.

#8 ·
Jens,

die VC geht während der Fahrt?? Das würde mich wundern, da in D bewegte Bilder wegen der angeblichen Ablenkungsgefahr verboten sind. Geht der TV auch?

Für deine Kaufentscheidung:
Der RR ist sehr komfortabel, hat Platz und ist ein richtig gut aussehendes Auto. Ich nutze ihn hier in Rumänien sehr intensiv (38 tkm seit Januar), auch auf sehr schlechten Straßen und relativ viel im Gelände, wo er wirklich stark ist. Allerdings muß man viele kleinere und größere Defekte hinnehmen. So sind bereits beide Xenonscheinwerfer ausgefallen und erneuert, die Lenksäule ist erneuert (und funktionert wieder nicht richtig), die Sprachsteuerung versteht mich nicht, das Telefon (Nokia 6230i) hört man nicht richtig läuten, überhaupt ist die Elektronik anfällig, usw.
Einzige Alternative ist m.E. die neue M-Klasse, aber wer weiß, ob die jetzt schon zu Beginn richtig funktioniert...

Gruß aus Rumänien

Georg

#11 ·
Well, thanks a lot for the answers and questions.

I had a BMW 730d until two weeks ago and had my share of electronic and other faults for years now, also with the 5series BMWs before.

I am looking for a car that can take 3 child seats and a family luggage when needed and is capable of keeping me happy while driving alone for the next three years. Due to fuel or petrol costs in Germany it should be a diesel engine.

I will be test driving all large limousines and select SUVs except for Mercedes Benz cars (which in my family everybody dislikes and due to the fact that Mercedes salesman are the most arrogant breed out there)

So far I drove the Jaguar XJ (trunk/boot too small), the Audi A8 (ok, except for engine noise and harsh gear shifts, overall a bit boring), the RR Sport (made me smile when I got off, but is a little too plasticky, e.g. fake wood trim).

The Range Rover is my favorite designwise ever since the firt model came out.

I drove it and it feels way bigger and heftier than the RRS, but it is a class of it's own. Parked beside a normal size limousine it is just twice as big.

I am not afraid of technical faults as long as they can be fixed and the car still drives.

Currently I am wondering which color is the best, I dislike the dark colours as you have to wash the car very often and also you see every scratch, so I was thinking of zambezi silver or bonatti grey. A shome that you cannot get real black leather seats in Germany, only the dark grey ones....

About the venture cam: It definitely does work at any speeds, my son tested that all the time yesterday.

Jens

#12 ·
Range Rovers look best in black with tinted windows. This is a FACT OF LIFE and cannot be argued with. I do take your point that black will require washing more often and show scratch marks. A small price to pay for perfection. Just make sure you invest in the dealer paint protection if offered (it does help stop scratch marks), a good car polish (mer is good) and a small step ladder to reach the roof. Or get to know your local car valet joint.

#13 ·
Jens,

I totally agree with your comments about the RR being in a class by iteself--especially when compared to large german premium sedans. You'll be pleasantly surprised by the turning radius as well.

I have an 05 Bonatti grey and it shows scratches much more than silver cars. (Still do not regret the color choice--I love Bonatti).

Good luck with your quest. I love the interior of the A8 and the exterior styling is also appealing (esp. when compared to S class and 7 series) but Audis in the states are a little boring to drive for me as well. I have not had the privilege of driving an S model, however.

Tschuss!

Markus

#15 ·
I dont have a picture of mine to hand, and its dark outside now, but have you considered the giverny green? doesnt show the muck but looks really "posh" which seems the idea somehow - looks bloomin horrible in the brochures so keeps it pretty exclusive! (why am i telling you then???) Team with the cream interior with green trim and the ladies love it! (and it is easier to keep clean than the black/grey interiors which get really dusty)

beg to differ from the black and bonatti brigade, but these look a tad "drug dealerish" or "footballerish" at times . . . . . . better on a mitsubishi animal me-thinks or just about any of the "japanese mot failure" brigade

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.