Front Differential Replaced at 42,000 miles
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front Differential Replaced at 42,000 miles

FRESHMAN ROVER

Front Differential Replaced at 42,000 miles

Brought my 2003 Range Rover in because of a service engine soon light and told the service advisor I've been hearing a sqeaking/whining sound coming from what appears to be the brakes. Had the brakes done at the same dealer a few months back and have been hearing that sound on and off. Turned out to be the front differential. Got it replaced under Land Rover Certified warranty and no more sounds. I saw the bill for the front diff and propeller shaft and the total came to about $1,200.00. Does the dealer cut LRNA a break? $1,200.00 seems like a small amount for a front differential job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Hi roverman318, I had two front diffs replaced on my 03.

The first went at 40,000 kms ( 25,000 miles ) the second was at 150,000 kms ( a little over 90,000 miles ) and out of warranty but LR paid for both.

Got no complaints here with that sort of customer service and the low cost is probably why they do it.

Cheers.
    2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2005 SE V6 D3

An old Yank crosses a new Pome in Oz
    http://www.traxide.com.au/railpics/RR+PBw1.jpg

FOUNDING MEMBER
    Had two replacements on mine also. One under warranty at 42K miles and the second I paid for around 85k. Total cost to me $2,640.00. Asked dealer about LR participating in the cost and they told me no way! Called the LR rep and he practially laughed at me. As a side line, I have been contacted twice by a federal investigator who is investigating the safety issues surrounding these failures. I did file a report with them detailing my two adventures of failure.
    Together we achieve the extraordinary!! 2007 RRS Supercharged Black on Black

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Front Differential Replaced at 42,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by roverman318
    Brought my 2003 Range Rover in because of a service engine soon light and told the service advisor I've been hearing a sqeaking/whining sound coming from what appears to be the brakes. Had the brakes done at the same dealer a few months back and have been hearing that sound on and off. Turned out to be the front differential. Got it replaced under Land Rover Certified warranty and no more sounds. I saw the bill for the front diff and propeller shaft and the total came to about $1,200.00. Does the dealer cut LRNA a break? $1,200.00 seems like a small amount for a front differential job.
    I guess it depends on the dealer. I was quoted $1600.

$1600 isnt bad at all considering the vehicle's MSRP, but its that it usually fails without warning that bothers me. I could be in the middle of nowhere.
    HERE: 2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate
    GONE: 2003 Range Rover HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER
    In the last couple of days, I get a screeching noise when turning the steering wheel. Was intermitant at first, but becoming progressively worse. Thought at first it was from the column mechanism, but when I opened the window, it seems to be coming from underneath.

Roverman, is this similar to the sound you got? Anyone else had this? Could this be the signs of impending diff failure? Done 52k miles.

Thanks.
    2007 RR Vogue SE TDV8
    2003 RR HSE TD6 - gone
    2000 Disco MkII V8 - long gone

Premium Member
    Sounds more like a bad pully belt (maybe to loose) and the releaf valve on the pump when steering is on full lock. My diffs never made a noise till "bang Zing grind" Please select Netrul...Now your Stuck.

Mark.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks Moto I'll check, although I don't think it's that. The noise occurs (sometimes) before the steering reaches the end stops. It does get worse at the extremes, though. Also, noise occurs when car is stationary and just the steering wheel is moved. Feels like driving a time bomb........
    2007 RR Vogue SE TDV8
    2003 RR HSE TD6 - gone
    2000 Disco MkII V8 - long gone

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I get that steering noise too. That's not the differential. I think that one has to do with the steering column. I complained about it once and the service advisor told me it probably needed this procedure that they got a service bulletin for. It was called a Steering Column Tilt Mechanism Upgrade. They did it and it is still the same. I just figured it was because of my bigger wheels and tires and it doesn't always make the noise so I just let it go.

The sound you are looking for is like a very faint whine. It almost sounds like the light screech from your brake pads when the pads are low.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by taskam
    In the last couple of days, I get a screeching noise when turning the steering wheel. Was intermitant at first, but becoming progressively worse. Thought at first it was from the column mechanism, but when I opened the window, it seems to be coming from underneath.

Roverman, is this similar to the sound you got? Anyone else had this? Could this be the signs of impending diff failure? Done 52k miles.

Thanks.
    I had the same issue and my front calipers were shot. HOWEVER that amounted to a 1,500 repair bill so it's a wonderful life.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    i had diff replaced at 90,000kms. like Moto One says, when it goes it goes and there's very little warning. mine snapped on a main road by the basketball stadium - toronto were playing NY. had thousands of crazy fans giving me grief because i was blocking the road. only tell tale sign was vibration in steering wheel when turning at low speeds eg parking.
    also had screeching and grinding noise and was due to warped calipers causing the pad to push against rotor at an angle so all sorts of [email protected] got caught between pad and rotor. . .
    2003 MkIII RR
    2002 BMW 325Ci Sport
    1969 Mercedes Benz 280sl

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now