Windshield VIN tag moisture
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net Ė General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Thread: Windshield VIN tag moisture

Windshield VIN tag moisture

Took my 3 week old RRS SVR on a trip yesterday through intermittent sometimes heavy rain. Noticed today the windshield VIN tag is area has significant moisture build up. I personally donít care if it eventually evaporates as long as water isnít getting into the cabin. Anyone know what the design of the front windshield area is? Is the VIN tag sealed with its own area separately from the rest of the windshield? My concern is that moisture is near this area so it is likely getting elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quick reply to this message Reply

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Windshield VIN tag moisture

I checked and I do not have this moisture ever.
    Do you think itís possible that some water got into the car from an open window or something?

2018 Range Rover Sport- SVR- Estoril Blue- Cirrus
    2016 Range Rover Sport- V8 Dynamic- Corris Grey- London Tan

FRESHMAN ROVER

That's a significant amount of condensation which indicates there's a lot of water somewhere below the dash. Given the heavy rains you describe my first thought is a windshield leak. The glass is typically installed with a sealer around the entire perimeter that seals it and holds it in place. It's possible there is a gap in that sealer which allowed rainwater where it shouldn't be.
    I assume by "3 week old" that's it's new so should be brought back to the dealer and repaired under warranty. I wouldn't ignore it as there are probably other wet parts you can't see that can eventually cause problems including faulty electrical connections, damage/warping of wood trim and mold/mildew.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Mancerator, if there was lots of water below his dash I believe the OP would have heard it is sloshing around in corners or feel it dripping on to his carpets while driving.

Those stickers are just that... stickers. That does not look like moisture, it looks glue delaminating. Where ever it was done, Factory/SVR/port. you have a warranty that should cover replacement if a replacement can be made. Now because this an individual item... You will have to cut dealer some slack. They will will have to call corporate to see if a replacement is even possible. If is not you can ask the dealer to remove it and any residue left.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

Took it to my local LR dealer. They confirmed that they have never seen condensation on the VIN tag like that in any LR product.

The condensation has now dried but there are actual pin head stains on the underside of the windshield. Dealer says itís likely a faulty windshield seal which is surprising given they are installed by machines at the factory. Very disappointed to face the fact of a potential windshield replacement on a brand new 19.5 RRS SVR (received with 20 miles on odometer) as I am certain some other collateral damage or issue will occur.

FRESHMAN ROVER

"jjvd21" Let us know how your situation is resolved. I, too, have had that happen on my 2018 RRS. I noticed it, thought it was odd, but it dried out and I never really thought about it again.

Quote Originally Posted by printrep View Post
    "jjvd21" Let us know how your situation is resolved. I, too, have had that happen on my 2018 RRS. I noticed it, thought it was odd, but it dried out and I never really thought about it again.
    You had VIN tag window moisture??

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by jjvd21 View Post
    You had VIN tag window moisture??

Yes, I had the same VIN tag window moisture as you. I also have the dried moisture stains like yours as "evidence".

Sounds like this is either a more common condition due to humidity and perhaps climate settings OR potentially we have the same failed seal issue.

Anyone else experience VIN window moisture?

FRESHMAN ROVER

[QUOTE=RRToadHall;2268528]Mancerator, if there was lots of water below his dash I believe the OP would have heard it is sloshing around in corners or feel it dripping on to his carpets while driving.

By "lots of water" I meant if there is that much condensation visible through the VIN window (actual droplets not just foggy) how much more has condensed where it can't be seen and possibly not dry out? jjvd21 stated it occurred after driving through rain which points to a leak and VIN is on the dash at the bottom of the windshield but obviously it could be something besides the windshield seal. Taking it to the dealer is the right place to start.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now