My Range Rover experiment is about to end
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Range Rover experiment is about to end

FRESHMAN ROVER

My Range Rover experiment is about to end

We have always been a Toyota Land Cruiser family. We have taken our Cruisers across the country, in the mountains, to the oceans, through all kinds of crazy weather. We have never been stranded. The only repair item besides routine maintenance that I have ever done on one of our LCs was the radiator started leaking in my 2010. That was a $800 fix.

Three years ago, we decided to dip our toe into the world of Range Rover, and leased a brand new Range Rover Sport. I was immediately impressed by this SUV. The paintwork, fit, and finish was amazing. The seats were considerably more comfortable than the LCs. The doors were nice and heavy. I felt safe.

But in the first 4 months of ownership, the thing died on the highway and left us stranded. We had it towed 250 miles to a dealer for fixing, and then they returned it to us fixed. But along the way, we have battled a lot of issues and bugs. Warning lights about airbags, tire pressure, engine light (it just stays on all the time - hopefully one day it might burn out?). The blind spot monitors have never worked right. The A/C blower is stuck on low and it is going to be very costly to fix it. Just last week, the vehicle stranded us in a fast food line because the gear shifter broke. That experience was fun. There are about half a dozen other serious flaws in this vehicle that need sorting. We have 30 more days before we turn it in; I have advised my wife just to leave it in the garage, for fear something major is going to break and it's out of warranty.

THANKFULLY, we leased it. The price paid was around $79,000, and it has depreciated about $43,000 in 39 months. Simply astounding.

So we will give them the keys and walk away, and head straight for the Toyota dealership and into a real SUV. My life is too busy for car problems. For me, Range Rover doesn't offer value to the buyer in any sense of the word. If you are buying it for panache, you are going to pay a huge price for that, and it's going to leave you frustrated and embarrassed on many occasions. The folks in the donut store line were having quite a chuckle about my high dollar Range Rover that suddenly quit working. Funny stuff, unless you're the owner.

Range Rover. Been there. Done that!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: My Range Rover experiment is about to end

I looked into land cruiser before I settled on my RRS. The LC is just too **** plain and boring. Though it would certainly be nice to have LC reliability. Good luck and enjoy.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcarfreak View Post
    I looked into land cruiser before I settled on my RRS. The LC is just too **** plain and boring. Though it would certainly be nice to have LC reliability. Good luck and enjoy.
    Funny you mention that. The LCs had been so boring, including reliability, that we thought it was time for something fun and exciting. The party is over; I'm ready for more boring. My Range Rover experiment is about to end-usc90tos121a021001.png

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Seems like the warranty would have covered the AC fan regardless of the cost.
    What was wrong to cause you to be stranded on the highway?
    3 year lease and you have had it for 39 months?
    What are the half a dozen major flaws?
    How many miles did you put on it?
    Most vehicles are worth about half the sticker after 3 years if driven normally. If you total up your lease payments it will be a little more than half the sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Bamablue View Post
    Seems like the warranty would have covered the AC fan regardless of the cost.
    What was wrong to cause you to be stranded on the highway?
    3 year lease and you have had it for 39 months?
    What are the half a dozen major flaws?
    How many miles did you put on it?
    Most vehicles are worth about half the sticker after 3 years if driven normally. If you total up your lease payments it will be a little more than half the sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have 67K miles on it. Anything that happens now is beyond the lease. The stranded thing had something to do with the transmission. The car literally wouldn't go. The other flaws...there has been something really screwy happen on the front suspension in the last six months. If you hit a bump or low spot on the road it is loud and jarring. The tire sensors are always indicating flat and the tires are fine - we have had this worked on several times. The low coolant light keeps coming on, yet the coolant is always fine. But LR said to keep checking it. The ventilated seats sometimes work, sometimes don't. Totally random. The back liftgate stops about 12 inches from where it should when it goes up. They've fixed this once. The blind spot sensors have never been right. There's other stuff - that's just right off the top of my head.

FRESHMAN ROVER

NO vehicle is going to be worth half it initial price after three years with 67,000 miles on it.
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

FRESHMAN ROVER

There is no argument that id rather own an out of warranty land cruiser over and out of warranty land rover any day of the week.

That said, the rover is way more fun to drive and boring is an understatement for a toyota.

To each their own, happy trails dude. 67k in 3 years is on the impressive side, no garage queen there.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
    There is no argument that id rather own an out of warranty land cruiser over and out of warranty land rover any day of the week.

That said, the rover is way more fun to drive and boring is an understatement for a toyota.

To each their own, happy trails dude. 67k in 3 years is on the impressive side, no garage queen there.
    I think if we had a Rover dealer in town it would have been better. The nearest one is 250 miles. A guy at their dealership confided in me that JLR is in some deep doo-doo, mainly from a slow down in China demand, but he said the Land Rover dealerships are soaking corporate for hundreds of $ millions per QUARTER in warranty claims. JLR posted a $4.3 BILLION loss in Q1 2019. That isn't sustainable. I know that the towing bill to and from the dealership from my house was $1800 each time. So JLR paid out $3600 just to get the car to and from the dealership.

The same guy told me if I did go back with a JLR product, to avoid the Jaguar line - according to him Tata may shudder that line altogether. Who knows.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by bill2019 View Post
    NO vehicle is going to be worth half it initial price after three years with 67,000 miles on it.
    No? My son's 2016 4Runner TRD Pro has 72K on the clock and it's still worth a solid $34-35K. I believe it was $45K out the door when new.

I sold my 2010 LC three years ago for $40K when I bought my Rover, and it was 6 years old and had 73K on the clock - still worth about half the sticker 6 years out. Should have kept it - I think it books now books out for about the same as the 2016 Rover Sport .

I think Rovers are really cool if you have a dealer handy and you can burn $1000 to $1500 per month in depreciation. I don't begrudge anyone for doing that. I've had my turn and I'll leave that next Rover for you to buy.

I don’t blame you for wanting to get out with your experiences that’s for sure.

I’ve always respected Land Cruisers but as others have said it’s a bit vanilla for me, and for that price I suspect you get the same dealer experience as somebody driving a Corolla, no loaners, etc.

I know 4runners, Tacoma’s, etc have great residual value, but anybody paying $35k for a 4Runner with 72k miles is a sucker. If I were your son I’d take advantage of that fact and get into a new one and start the cycle again.

I’ve always wanted a RR product and like you dipped my toes into the water. I’ve been lucky and quite satisfied, although I’ll admit if I have an experience even close to yours I’d probably run for the hills too. Good luck!
    2016 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento
    2018 Honda Odyssey Elite - Obsidian Blue/Gray

TATA has been a disaster for LR. electronic glitches and quality control issues have not bankrupt LR for the simple reason that they are pretty status symbol vehicles.the toyota aesthetic designs are simply horrific, but in the end they are as reliable as the heat from the sun. i will be looking at the RS Q8 for our next car in a couple of years unless there is some unexpected turn around in LR quality control.

FRESHMAN ROVER

just about time to change your handle to texasboring3, huh? good luck on your new ride, you obviously put a sh*t-ton of miles on your rides, so hopefully if you lease again, maybe they won't ding you so hard! I just bought mine, and while I have always loved them, the only reason for THIS purchase is the fact that I now have a dealership in my town, for exactly this reason.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I think the last straw for me was my wife being stranded in a donut shop parking lot over a flimsy plastic part that broke off in the gear shift trigger. Later that day after having it towed (imagine the comedy at the donut shop over that), I did surgery on the thing (thanks 100 percent to the instructions of a member of this forum!) and put a bobby pin in there and it was 5X the part that the plastic piece was. At that point, I was flat-out pissed at Land Rover. If they can't take their machines more serious than that, I'm not forking out $1200 a month from now on for their stuff. First time shame on them. Second time shame on me.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
    I don’t blame you for wanting to get out with your experiences that’s for sure.

I’ve always respected Land Cruisers but as others have said it’s a bit vanilla for me, and for that price I suspect you get the same dealer experience as somebody driving a Corolla, no loaners, etc.

I know 4runners, Tacoma’s, etc have great residual value, but anybody paying $35k for a 4Runner with 72k miles is a sucker. If I were your son I’d take advantage of that fact and get into a new one and start the cycle again.

I’ve always wanted a RR product and like you dipped my toes into the water. I’ve been lucky and quite satisfied, although I’ll admit if I have an experience even close to yours I’d probably run for the hills too. Good luck!
    I have had Cruisers off and on for 20 years and don't recall ever needing to leave it at the dealer long enough for a loaner.

My Range Rover days ended in the middle of the Winter 4x4 Jamboree in Sand Hollow. I had put a ton of work into freshening the Range Rover and was excited to off road it, despite some worn out snow tires on the absurdly stupid 19" rims.

We easily completed the trail, much to the surprise of the die-hard Jeepers. Just as soon as we hit the interstate to head back to the hotel, the suspension faulted. No problem, got out All-Comms and reset it. Then it came back. And wouldn't reset.

Ugh. Drove back that night (5hrs round trip) and picked up my wife's 2003 LX470, bone stock with street tires, running boards and all. Completed the next days trail without a hitch and it was then that I realized that I'd probably never fully trust the Range Rover off road again. And if that was the case, then why keep it?

So I fixed the faults, tuned it up and sold it to a buddy. On the way to selling it, the transmission hard faulted-limp home mode and threw a misfire code. Dropped my asking price from nearly $6k to just over $3k, as I was selling a "project" now instead of a clean L322. My buddy found that it wasn't a transmission issue at all, but a failed coil. Easy fix. He got a steal. Until the rear airbag blew up.

I haven't heard from him for awhile, so he either hates me or he's got it running (I hope it's the latter).

In the meantime, I threw an OME lift onto the LX, mounted 34" KO2 tires and just completed a 4wd visit to Sedona with no issues.

So yeah, the driving dynamics of a cruiser are incredibly dull. No doubt about that. But after awhile you realize that boring driving is better than weekend wrenching.

I loved that L322, I just wish it was......well........a tough 4wd. .
    -99 Discovery 2 Trail Rig
    -03 L322 Range Rover Daily Driver

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now