My Range Rover experiment is about to end - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Range Rover experiment is about to end

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: My Range Rover experiment is about to end

TexasRover3, I totally understand your frustration and your move to Toyota. I considered the LandRover or Lexus equivalent. I had a Toyota FJ that I put about 10K of goodies into and had a diff ring gear tooth that broke and left us stranded in Moab. I known defect eventually covered by Toyota. The only car my wife shed a tear over when we sold it.
    I replaced that with an old LR4 (same platform as the pre '14 RRS) which I have been able to fix myself as things went south (160K miles on it now).
    I just got my RRS SC, and my hope is that I can do most repairs and maintenance myself, but I realize this is a riskier proposition. The RRS checked every box so it's a risk I'm willing to take for now.

I totally appreciate your decision, and sorry RR did not work out better for you.
    2014 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged Dynamic / Quicksilver Exhaust / VelocityAP ECU Tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRover3 View Post
    I have had Cruisers off and on for 20 years and don't recall ever needing to leave it at the dealer long enough for a loaner.

I agree 100%. I purchased a 2011 RR HSE with 30k miles in April 2016 for my wife, primarily, to drive. We'd always loved the look of these vehicles and although we fully realized the reliability risks, we took the plunge and tacked on an extended warranty from CarMax to 100k miles. The truck had full maintenance records and no accidents, and was obviously not driven much in its five years of life, so we felt good about it. I didn't get the thing out of the God-forsaken parking lot before noticing "little" issues, and they mounted quickly. We spent $42k on the truck and the warranty was an additional $3000 ($300 deductible). Three years later, the truck has left us stranded four times (all related to fuel injectors and the fuel pump), and it's been to the dealership an additional eleven times for other maintenance issues - sometimes multiple trips for the same recurring issue. The warranty has paid over $8500 in claims and we've paid $1500 in deductibles (the dealership always covers this when it's a recurring issue, requiring additional repair). The dealership, and our service manager in particular, has been especially pleasant and always apologizes over and over again, providing a loaner or a rental, etc.

Here's the list off the top of my head...
    - numerous fuel injector issues - two have been replaced at this point - left us stranded two times
    - throttle body replaced - vehicle stalled, leaving us stranded
    - fuel pump terminal burned up - left us stranded once
    - total air suspension failure/replacement
    - rear seat replacement - it stopped folding
    - side view mirrors replaced due to shorts, etc. when dipping in reverse
    - rear passenger door now has something loose inside - window doesn't roll down (haven't taken the time to try to fix myself and won't pay a deductible for this)
    - rear hatch latch sticks all the time - WD40 does nothing - not worth repairing
    - stereo volume knob stopped responding - must use steering wheel controls - not worth repairing

This was an $80k vehicle in 2011. It just seems like these things aren't built very well for the price you pay. The financial losses by JLR aren't surprising. And you're right - they aren't sustainable.

I have a 2006 Lexus GS430 with 218k on the clock. $60k new. I've replaced the alternator and the throttle body, along with routine maintenance. That's it.

I had a 2003 Nissan Altima 3.5 before that. 155k when I sold it. $26k new. No issues outside of routine maintenance. None.

I will not purchase another Land Rover product.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have had a 94 Classic for several years but have also owned FJ62 Land Cruisers since 1989. FIrst one was bought new; the two I have now are very high mileage trucks.

Cruisers are simply bulletproof. I love the looks of the classic FJ 60-62 era: they look a bit like the RR Classic. The Cruisers, at least of that era, were beasts that never failed. The build quality of the components was simply astounding: I never replaced a water pump, any of the fuel injection stuff, very few of the electrical stuff, the A/C was ice cold, and on and on. Basically they're as reliable as an old Camry (which I also have) and will run forever. I don't off-road but their capability is pretty impressive there as well.

The real downfall, at least of the FJ60-62 era was real serious rust. My original truck, with low miles, was perfect except that it rusted away into dust.

I love my Range Rover Classic but it's an entirely different relationship. Things are always going wrong kinda regularly, the electrics are crazy, always have various coolant issues, the headliner falls down, and it isn't too reliable. I was stranded last weekend on the Thruway and missed a graduation ceremony; alternator went out en route. I love it regardless and will keep it forever, along with the 2 Cruisers. Granted, I don't need these trucks for reliable regular transportation.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

This is the forum for owners of L494 RRS 2nd generation. Problems with other rovers are not relevant. I have enjoyed 45k trouble free miles on my 16 RRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had Cruisers off and on for 20 years and don't recall ever needing to leave it at the dealer long enough for a loaner.
    To be clear, I don't even want to sit at the dealer for regular maintenance like oil changes, etc. I get a loaner at Land Rover for that. Drop my car off and pick it up after work.

I cringe when I have to take my wife's Odyssey into the Honda dealer because it means sitting at the dealer, even for an hour is too long. My wife had a Camry when we first got married, so I know the Toyota dealer experience is the same.

If Acura or Lexus made a minivan I would buy one just on the sole fact that it would mean I would never have to see the inside of a dealer unless I was buying a car.
    2016 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento
    2018 Honda Odyssey Elite - Obsidian Blue/Gray

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm 9 months in to owning a 2018 RRS SC v8. Just returned from a 3K trip from OK to Cali with a number of side trips. The RRS was nothing short of spectacular. It is so comfortable, powerful and a joy to drive on the highways, backroads, and trails. I owned a 99 Discovery, so I knew the inherent challenges of owning a Land Rover, but to me the rewards far outweigh the risks of the vehicle. One of the key things to any vehicle ownership is the ability of the local dealer to take care of the issues. I had an absolute disaster experience with my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee and it leaves a really bad taste in regarding the brand. Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, Land Rover treated customers like Kings. Not quite the same anymore, but still a very good experience. So far, I like my local dealer and I know that will go a long way towards keeping me a happy customer.

FRESHMAN ROVER

If a vehicle is actually leaving people stranded somewhere, broken down, I totally get the frustration and wanting to just get out of the Land Rover into something else. It's unfortunate some people are unlucky enough to have one vehicle with so many problems. My experience has been different -- had a 2010 HSE (5.0L V for 7 years and 80k miles and it was super reliable. Only had to replace parts that wear out, and tires and brakes. Then a Velar for less than year and then a 2018 Sport SVR for a year so far. Have only had infotainment issues with the SVR and Velar, otherwise totally perfect. And the dealer has been great about installing software updates.

My comparison is with the 4 Audi's I had before a Land Rover. Reliability is about the same for me, but the Audi service experience is much better and less expensive. But for how much I enjoy owning and driving a RR Sport I'm willing to pay the extra in maintenance and deal with the dealer experience which is only once or twice a year. Sure there are many brands that make cars that are cheaper and give owners more "peace of mind" if you know what I mean. But I find most other brands really boring and not something I'd want to own. Design is really important to me and there isn't much out there I like. I'll keep driving one until I get burned by reliability in a big way, if it ever happens but it's luck of the draw.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Was the OP in a 2018, 2019 ... maybe I missed the year model.
    I have had appr. 6 rovers, going all the way back to 1994 Classic.
    Currently, 2008 RRS (even thought the year model is irrelevant here) 109,000 miles, and I just can not kill it, it
    refuses to stop running, handling like a brand new ford, chev, toyota. I want to get rid of it, but can't b/c the
    vehicle always has been and remains completely trustworthy -- towing another vehicle 3000 miles, etc.
    My 2014 RRS with 71,000 miles is also perfect -- NEVER an issue, rides, handles like brand new.
    I'm sure the OP had a lemon. I'm sure Toyota has had lemons before also.

FRESHMAN ROVER

So certainly there are those who are having good luck with their Rovers. But I think we can all agree that Land Rover's overall quality leaves a lot to be desired. If that wasn't the case, then third party warranty companies wouldn't be categorically excluding Land Rover from coverage. My experience with my own RRS is that Rover uses cheap parts that wear out quickly. That is a choice by JLR. Why does JLR make that choice? And are the problems a combination of their choice to use cheap parts and ineptitude in mass manufacturing as compared to say Toyota? With today's technology, one would think JLR could employ the technology to get fairly near competitor quality tolerances.

If you are going to sell a car for $80+ K, that's some serious freight, and I think a manufacturer of any such car should pay serious attention to its quality.

Of course, if JLR continues to sell vehicles in the current manner, there is no motivation to force a change. If folks are perfectly happy to pay $80K for a vehicle that is prone to break-downs, then I guess just stay the course. I don't know that I can think of another consumer product that has panache despite the fact that it is an inferior product.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have to repeat, you were somehow able to manage to put almost 70k miles on the clock, in a 3 year lease. My logic says you weren't stranded THAT much. We get it, you had a really bad experience with YOUR particular car. And I think most on here are on here will maybe agree to perhaps the brands "something less than a Toyota" reliability. However, I would think almost ALL on here really don't want to drive a Toyota. No matter Camry, Land Cruiser or even a really fancy Toyota, aka Lexus. As I stated, this too is my first Range Rover, but I assure, will not be my last... in fact, I'm shopping used L405's as we speak. I know, the madness. I just feel really bad you got stranded in the donut line... time to find yourself a Toyota message board, and leave us to our less than reliable Land Rovers. I'll take my chances in driving a car with this much passion.

FRESHMAN ROVER

@TexasRover3 - What year and model did you lease?
    2016 LR RR SPORT HSE TD6 DIESEL

SENIOR ROVER

My first sport a 2014 V8 SC first year model back in 2014 was the car from hell. LR had to buy it back. I wound up in my 2015.5 ATB as compromise and its been blissfully reliable. I have been asked about trading it back in by the dealer every time I go for service. No thanks. I am keeping the **** thing till the wheels fall off and I am not likely getting another one. But there is just nothing like it out there. Nothing.
    2019 Mercedes Benz AMG-E63S
    2015.5 RRS Autobiography, deployable side steps

FRESHMAN ROVER

So certainly there are those who are having good luck with their Rovers. But I think we can all agree that Land Rover's overall quality leaves a lot to be desired. If that wasn't the case, then third party warranty companies wouldn't be categorically excluding Land Rover from coverage. My experience with my own RRS is that Rover uses cheap parts that wear out quickly. That is a choice by JLR. Why does JLR make that choice? And are the problems a combination of their choice to use cheap parts and ineptitude in mass manufacturing as compared to say Toyota? With today's technology, one would think JLR could employ the technology to get fairly near competitor quality tolerances.

If you are going to sell a car for $80+ K, that's some serious freight, and I think a manufacturer of any such car should pay serious attention to its quality.

Of course, if JLR continues to sell vehicles in the current manner, there is no motivation to force a change. If folks are perfectly happy to pay $80K for a vehicle that is prone to break-downs, then I guess just stay the course. I don't know that I can think of another consumer product that has panache despite the fact that it is an inferior product.
    There is definitely evidence to support the fact that statistically Land Rover's are not as reliable overall as some other brands. JD Power has reports etc. And lots of horror stories posted all over the internet. But it's peculiar that some people have TONS of problems and others have virtually ZERO issues. Seems unevenly distributed. Also some consumers completely freak out about anything going wrong with a car and will immediately get online to proclaim they have a complete LEMON.

I don't think Land Rover uses cheap parts. That's not a fair statement. I'm not an engineer but I know that there are a lot of parts that have to all work together and there are so many variables and opportunities for things to fail. Land Rover has a very high repeat buyer percentage and that would not be the case if they were clearly inferior to other manufacturers.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Before I even purchased my SVR, I was in a 19' RR Sport rental that broke down on me for the same gear shift problem you had. That vehicle had less than 1,000mi on the ODO. Literally had to leave it in a parking lot and take an uber out of there - thankfully wasn't in a drive thru like you.

My brand new 19' SVR's rear control arm snapped and the wheel broke off my vehicle coasting down a main rd doing about 40mph in traffic. This was after about 1,500mi.

It definitely isn't an understatement that this brand has massive issues and they have a rep for it.

Although I do find myself gravitating for the SVR keys every time I am about to take a ride. I absolutely love everything about the vehicle with the exception of all the problems that come with it.

good luck and I feel your pain!

WOW... just reading through the posts makes me wonder ... the quality of production on these news vehicles is appalling... if they are leaving people stranded with less than 1000 miles on their odometers.

None the less i would advise that if you are not technically say or good with tools avoid owning these cars especially if they are not under warranty.

I have had my car for 8 years , it had 80k mile when i got it and had been owned by five different people
    i am the 6th and it now has 252k miles on it , i am an engineer specializing in electrics so i count less than ten occasions in 8 years that i have had to visit a dealership , not bragging but if i had no technical experience i can only imagine the cost i would have had to bear when i look back and consider the amout of servce repairs i had to perform to keep my rig running smoothly.
    245,000 miles and counting....
    "Stable genius?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now