Incorrect Fuel Level (caution)
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Incorrect Fuel Level (caution)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Incorrect Fuel Level (caution)

I know in another post comment had been made by others and myself about the fuel gauge reading lower than is really in the tank, in my case it is around 7 gallons off. I found this annoying but was willing to deal with it without making a stink, after all I figure it was better to show less than rather than more than is available. That was before I came across this recall for 2017 models. I did not realize that if I was to get comfortable with knowing that I had plenty to spare and I let the gauge go all the way down to E that I was risking the engine cutting off for safety. Apparently it has happen to folks in the past and they had to recalibrate the body control module.

This may have been known to others in the past I just wanted to inform those who may have not known. Even though it was only for 2017 anyone who has this issue should bring it up to their dealership to have it corrected, seeing that it is not only an annoyance but could be a hazard.

On a side note, not only does it show incorrect fuel but it also throws off the average mileage driven and miles to empty.

If anyone had/has this problem please post to inform the rest of us.

Here is the old recall: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V337-8531.PDF
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Incorrect Fuel Level (caution)

well i guess that would make sense but if you know you have 27 gal and you know that your car like mine is showing low on fuel 6-7 gallons early you are more likely to ignore the low fuel level for a while until you refuel. But not knowing how low is to low becomes a problem.

If you are on a long trip that would require a full tank you do not want to keep stopping 100 mile earlier just to top off. This is the reason for the larger fuel capacity.

Lets face it there are many people out there that have a bad habit of waiting until the last minute to fill up (like myself) and having this extra buffer without knowing that the car can shut down even though there is fuel left can be dangerous, this is why I felt it was worthy of posting. Just in case.

FRESHMAN ROVER

HA HA, Totya Deleted post. now it seems like i am talking to myself.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

it came out a bit too harsh.
    either way, the recall was for diesels only.
    2018 Range Rover SCV8
    2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic
    2017 Range Rover Evoque HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thats ok... always is the problem with texting, very difficult to express your thoughts with the other person misunderstanding your tone.

overlooked the diesel part of that recall, concept still holds true. at least We know they can adjust the value that is output from the BCM. When i bring mine in gonna have them take a look at it. If they give me the old response of nothing that can be done at least i can show them this.

Quote Originally Posted by bill2019 View Post
    If you are on a long trip that would require a full tank you do not want to keep stopping 100 mile earlier just to top off. This is the reason for the larger fuel capacity.
    this!

I found out during our first long road trip recently that the gauge really does not show the accurate fuel remaining: while distance to empty showed 30km, the tank only took in 87.5L, which means there was still another 20L in there, so easily another 150km.

I wish there was a way of calibrating the tank using the IID tool, I would do it myself.
    --
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
    Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

gents, after I complained about the inaccurate fuel level-range calculation when I dropped off my car for its annual service, I was informed they did a software update and it should now be more accurate.

I will monitor & report back.
    --
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
    Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by naks View Post
    gents, after I complained about the inaccurate fuel level-range calculation when I dropped off my car for its annual service, I was informed they did a software update and it should now be more accurate.

I will monitor & report back.
    Whenever you can do a check and report back to us... Could be the dealer just trying to make you think there was a change made.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now