Hitting ice or abs problem.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hitting ice or abs problem.

Hitting ice or abs problem.

I have been driving for over 50 years and am pretty experienced. I have driven many times in ice and snow. In the past 2 of years, there were 3 occasions when I was driving my RRS in snow slowly on a traveled road in the snow setting. Going down a slight decent, when it came time to brake, there was absolutely no braking. On and off the brake and even pumping did little. Fortunately escaped ok. The car is great otherwise in wet or dry. With my other suvs I have never had a problem. I am running the stock Continental Contisilent tires; not full depth but also not near to the wear indicators. Is it the tires and possible ice, or do I have a problem with the ABS. Again, I'm driving slowly and carefully and easing on the brakes because of this. All the other 1000's of braking occasions in snow the car brakes properly. I'm thinking of chucking the car if the car is at fault. Any feedback appreciated. No abs lights came on that I am aware of.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Hitting ice or abs problem.

from what you described it sounds to me like it was the abs system due to ice. when in snow mode the vehicle is very sensitive to any wheel slippage, once the wheels begin to slip the traction control/abs system takes over until there is grip that is why when you step on the brakes it seems as if nothing is happening. I would bet that it wasn't really all that long before you were able to get a response. If there was a fault with the abs system in any way you would have seen an error message. if you were in the normal driving setting you probably would not have noticed it although you might hear the abs system kick in more when you step on the brake. In snow mode the vehicle is more sensitive to wheel slippage while driving so it will take over even if you have not stepped on the brake.
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Thanks Bill.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Absolutely those awful tyres.

I had them on my Dynamic with the 22" wheels, lost steering at 20MPH on a tight turn and went into a tree. Poor thing barely lived.

And people were flying past me at 35+ (the speed limit).

Should have taken my RRC or D2, but no I had to get the idea to go to the park to do donuts with my newly acquired truck..

IMO the Contis are awful tyres and should be discarded of in any inclement weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm the guy that buys a chicken salad to only eat the chicken
    2017 Range Rover HSE
    2014 Range Rover Sport Dynamic

Thanks a lot. The tires will be gone. I was going 10-15 mph in the slow lane and had plenty of time to stop and couldn't. SUVs 2 lanes over were bombing at 45-50 mph in pure snow with no problems. Lucky no one was hurt.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Interesting thread. I currently live in Oklahoma and we have very little in the way of icy or snow packed roads, but my experience with a new set of ContiSilents was excellent. I put a new set on in October and the few weather events we had this winter the tires were outstanding. I tested the heck out of them on the roads for braking and traction and was impressed. The ABS system kept tracking straight on hard braking and I never felt I was going to lose control of the vehicle. My previous Grand Cherokee had the new BFG KO2s and I thought they were absolutely horrible on icy roads and in heavy rain.

Probably contributing to the problem was the fact that the tires have 38000 miles on them. They still have at least another 10000 but will be gone by next week. I never noticed this when the tires were newer.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
    Probably contributing to the problem was the fact that the tires have 38000 miles on them. They still have at least another 10000 but will be gone by next week. I never noticed this when the tires were newer.
    In my experience with Continentals on both my Audi A8 and my wife's old GL550, they're great for the first 10,000 miles then age exponentially after that, especially with heavy AWD/4WD vehicles. They get really loud on the highway and traction gets compromised. I had the DWS 06 (highest rated tire on Tire Rack at the time) on my A8 and they were toast by 30,000 miles. My wife had the Conti CrossContact UHP M+S (stock OEM tire - normally a summer tire but MB had a special version for use in mud and light snow), and they were literally falling apart by 30,000 miles. I prefer Michelins when I can get them - I've never had a bad experience with a Michelin tire (besides price) and haven't had a good experience with Continental or Pirelli.
    2019 RRS SCV8 ATB L494, Indus Silver
    2017 Range Rover SCV8 L405, Scotia Gray (wife's car)

Thanks. Blizzaks will be here in 3 days. I'll run a different setup for winter and summer.

Pirelli P Zero Nero is what I have on my Flying Spur. Lovely tire for the dry warm roads. I'd recommend those if they come in the Rover's size.
    I'm the guy that buys a chicken salad to only eat the chicken
    2017 Range Rover HSE
    2014 Range Rover Sport Dynamic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now