p400e review
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: p400e review

FRESHMAN ROVER

p400e review

Noone so far has written a decent review of the P400e so here is my summary after three days of ownership and only 150km.

Overall the experience is very similar to driving a ‘normal’ engined RR Sport so I won’t repeat the similarities. I will just talk about the differences.

- The sound of silence. Most of the time in motorway driving and city driving the car is silent. There is simply no noise. The ca ris so well insulated that you don’t even get tyre noise. If you turn off the radio/music the only thing you can hear is the sound of other cars if they are coming by. On quiet roads you can really enjoy a peaceful ride. Normally I drive with my musi con but I have started driving with no music on because the sound of silence is so surprising and so novel. It is so quiet that you worry pedestrians won't hear you.
    - The smoothness of the ride is unbelievable. In a normal RR Sport the ride is smooth but when you are in the pure EV mode there are no gear changes, so no even slight interuptions to the smoothness of the ride. You literally glide along the road. It is an absolutely serene experience.
    - The battery on pure EV mode lasts about 45 mins for me in mixed motorway/road driving.
    - Now for the battery part, on a normal Saturday with a few chores, going out in the evening etc. I have to leave the car on charge whenever it is on my driveway. Thi sis because most of my journeys are fairly short 8-10 km so I want to do it all in EV mode. This means whenever I get back home I want to top up the battery for the next journey. This is the only bit of hassle but the cable is so easy to plug in.
    - If I want to push the car it responds aggressively (in a good way). The engine never sounds strained when you push the car (remember it is only 2.0l petrol plus the battery). In fact when you want to accelerate hard and sporty then you can do it and the car sounds fantastic and the acceleration is awesome.
    - People say the brakes are bad in hybrids but if I compare this to my old 2016 RR Sport the brakes are slightly different. With the 2016 the brakes were progressive, so they were quite soft but you could feel when you had to push them harder or softer. In this the brakes have less feeling. It means at low speeds I find I have to be slightly careful that I am pressing the brakes with sufficient force. Also there is a very very slight vibrating feeling through the pedal as the kinetic energy recovery system starts to kick in and the energy regeneration starts. It is like the feeling of when you have a dirty brake disc. This might also be because the vehicle is bran dnew, I am not sure. It is a really minor thing but it is just different to the standard RR Sport brakes.
    - I am still learning the new battery system and how to maximise it but I was at a restaurant and used in control to pre-heat my car. The app said it had failed but I got back to my car and about 20 percent of the electric vehicle battery had drained because the car had pre heated even though the app said it hadn’t. The point is that it is worthwhile to pre heat your car if it is plugged in somewhere but maybe not if it is ‘in use’. This being said, I regenerated enough after ten mins driving to drive the remaining ten minutes home in EV mode.
    - Battery drops quickly if you are just sitting in the car playing configuring settings.
    - Usual software gremlins still apply. As you see from another post I have had some error messages related to AEB and a couple of other things.
    - I was worried about the battery reducing boot space but honestly it is not really noticeable.
    - I still haven’t gone on a long trip with the P400e and am interested to see how the parallel hybrid system works over 500 miles or so.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: p400e review

Nice review thanks!
    • 2006 LR3 HSE, heavily modified (SOLD)
    • 2008 Range Rover Supercharged (SOLD)
    • 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (SOLD)
    • 2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography (SOLD)
    • 2014 Range Rover Autobiography
    • 2018 Range Rover Autobiography

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks for the review. Did you feel sluggish when the battery depleted?

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I couldn't tell any noticeable difference apart from the engine noise kicked in much sooner, but not in a strained way. Also, there is always a little bit of battery because even when it is depleted you get enough for a boost when you accelerate. My battery depleted completely only for a couple of minutes. As soon as you take your foot off the accelerator the battery starts to regenerate I find and so you always have a bit of power fo rwhen you need it, even if your battery level is low. I found that with the lowest battery level of around 2 percent, the initial boost to get moving is done by the battery, something like gear 1 and then the engine took over. Like I said, I am very interested to see how this works on a long motorway trip when you rbattery might be depleted but you need to go from eg 120km /h to 130 km/h for an overtake or something like that. . I will let you kno when I do that but when you do that with battery power remianing you get a great surge of power. . and seeing as you never really run out of battery power due to regenration I assume it will remain a good experience.

FRESHMAN ROVER

cant wait to see the long journey result from you.

side question, just curious, why did you pick rrs p400e over 2019 cayenne hybrid?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Because I love Land Rover, Range Rover in particular and would never buy a porsche if I could own a Range Rover. There is no substitute for me. Also, The RR looks much better than the Cayenne.
    Although with the newer tech in the Velar and the p400e I have had problems with both. I never had problems with previous RRs

FRESHMAN ROVER

And every review comes with a picture, right..

p400e review-3.jpgp400e review-2.jpgp400e review-1.jpg

FRESHMAN ROVER

What range do you get on the dashboard when the battery is 100% full? I only get 41 km, on the LR website they advertise with up to 50 km.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I only get 34KM with 100 percent battery. No idea why.

FRESHMAN ROVER

The maximum I've seen has been 37km
    elmer

FRESHMAN ROVER

i have also had 36KM on 99 percent charge which is higher than what I see with 100 percent sometimes. Maybe the range adjust according to weather conditions or something like that.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Once 50 km, today only 31. The charging conditions are always the same, indoors. I Will ask my dealer why.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I think it could be depending on your driving skills, some people with the same car gets 8 liters, and other can get 6 making the same path and the moreless same speed. Is like the combined consumption, the real is always 30-40% higher than homologated

FRESHMAN ROVER

After testing 1 month now, the max distance I could drive in EV-mode was 24 km. And that was only by pushing the peddle with my smallest tow on flat roads…
    When 100% charged, there is indicated between 33km and 38km on the dash but in daily traffic in general 22km. Double checked it with the counter of the car and GPS app on my phone, Waze, etc.
    You can also easily check it out with your Remote Control app. It indicates your driving distance in EV-mode and normal mode and it’s pretty accurate. I guess during summer times it would increase still a little bit but it’s not even 50% of what is prescribed in the brochure and that a bit disappointing. Specially the technique is ameliorated since the first hybrids on the market. (BMW/Mercedes/Porches/…)
    What I miss the most since my previous RRS: the sound of a 3L -V6 when you hit the throttle…

FRESHMAN ROVER

finally after almost 3000 km I could see 50 km of autonomy after loading 100% in my RR. until now the nomal was between 30/37 km. By the way, today I wanted to configure my trailer and although I included in the order of the vehicle the advance tow assist system I could not do it because it does not appear in any option. I think they forgot to configure it. On Monday I will ask at the dealership.
    elmer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now