2019 RR sport SVR vs RR Sport V8 Dynamic - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2019 RR sport SVR vs RR Sport V8 Dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by eossai604 View Post
    Where can I find out more about the Velocity Tune? Just ordered a 2019 RRS Autobiography and would love to boost the power a tad and deepen the exhaust note.

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkmac View Post
    Was deciding between the SVR and V8SC for myself as well. Ultimately decided on the ATB and not the SVR.

• I really want the massage seats (not available in SVR).
    • I love the exhaust note on the SVR, but wife's not a fan.
    • it's our only ICE car, and don't drive it as much, seems wasted having the SVR in the garage.
    • Velocity Tune will match SVR in horsepower (SVR tuned maxed out at the same as V8SC).
    • We will do some roadtrips on the ATB, so long driving might not be ideal on the SVR (owners let me know if otherwise).

I like the bucket seats, but too bad on the massage feature. If only I can have both.

-ThinkMac-
    Here you go
    http://www.velocityap.com/category-s/2002.htm
    September 2016-present: MY16 RRS SC V8 Dynamic Fuji White/Santorini Black Contrast Roof/Pimento Interior
    March 2016-present: MY16 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG Night Black/AMG Red Cut Exclusive Interior (love the AMG performance exhaust!)
    June 2011-February 2016: MY11 RRS HSE Java Black/Ebony Interior (Blown engine at 39K miles due to failed water pump)
    June 2009-June 2011: MY96 LR Discovery I SD7 4.0L V8 Portofino Red/Tan Interior (Sold at 34K miles!)
    Pre 2009: NYC mass transit

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: 2019 RR sport SVR vs RR Sport V8 Dynamic

I went from a 2015 ATB a 2019 SVR and can echo the statements that have been made so far. It is truly greater than the sum of its parts. Once I test drove one, I had to have it. It is not a logical decision, financially... but if you can afford it, go for it!
    2019 RRS SVR (balmoral blue)
    1997 Range Rover 4.0 SE
    2018 Discovery (Byron Blue)
    2015 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S (Silver)
    2003 Porsche 911 C4 Cabriolet (black)
    1991 Porsche 944 S2 cabriolet (white)
    1986 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate (white)

Prior LRs: 2015 RRS ATB (santorini black), 2012 LR4 (Fuji white), 2011 RR SC (Santorini), 2008 RR HSE (Santorini) (RIP, along with 2005 Elise), 2006 RRS HSE (Giverny), 2002 RR HSE (Java), 2005 RR HSE (Java), 2005 LR3 (Zermatt), 2007 LR3 (chawton white)

Where can I find out more about the Velocity Tune? Just ordered a 2019 RRS Autobiography and would love to boost the power a tad and deepen the exhaust note.
    Easy, they have their own vendor section below. Stewart is really easy to work with.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Hello, is the SVR exhaust 'exhausting'? What is it like in Quiet mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerun View Post
    Hello, is the SVR exhaust 'exhausting'? What is it like in Quiet mode?
    No I don’t think it’s exhausting. I’ve had my 19.5 SVR for a week and in comfort mode you can hear the exhaust but not at a level that is bothersome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FRESHMAN ROVER

They are a vendor on the page. If you scroll down you will find them. They are very responsive to questions.
    2018 RRS V-8 SC Dynamic
    2017 RRS TD6 (buyback)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Looked at the SVR, but it has diminished towing capacity. I haul a camper, so that was an issue for me. I got the VelocityAP ECU tune, replaced my exhaust with Quicksilver - so theoretically have the HP of the SVR, but greater towing capacity, and even more growl (not fond of the 1900 RPM, drone on the QC, but has grown on me along with the VelocityAP keeping things at a higher RPM in sports mode)
    2014 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged Dynamic / Quicksilver Exhaust / VelocityAP ECU Tune

SOPHOMORE ROVER

This is probably a stupid question, but does the towing capacity change once the power output and torque curves have been remapped?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    It's a good question. I had similar when getting ECU tune. I was told by LR dealer the difference in tow capacity is due to the suspension and the faster shifting transmission on the SVR. I'd be curious if that is accurate.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by stemikel View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but does the towing capacity change once the power output and torque curves have been remapped?
    Yes, it does. Increasing the torque curve will lower the safe towing capacity of the vehicle. When I say safe i mean doing so can damage your transmission.

There has been a well known and much discussed issue of a delay of acceleration of many of the 2014-2019 vehicles. This delay was implemented by JLR to protect transmission bushings. It seems that in hotter climates having the torque of the engine kick in right away was wreaking havoc on the bushings. So they made it so the power was slowly applied to the tranny.

The SVR should have no delay, it was designed to apply power on demand. JLR may even have implemented a modified power curve update for the SVR (unclear).

So with this in mind you can understand why the recommended towing capacity is reduced.
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

FRESHMAN ROVER

bill2019, I asked VelocityAP in their forum here. That reason regarding the power curve and bushings is different than what the dealer told me...but dealers can certainly be misinformed.
    Curious to see VelocityAP response. Thnx
    2014 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged Dynamic / Quicksilver Exhaust / VelocityAP ECU Tune

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Reply from VelocityAP
    "There are a number of factors influence towing capacity, including the vehicle weight, suspension, Load rating of Tires etc. If you're interested I would recommend researching SAE Standard J2807. I don't know the specific reason that the SVR has a lower rated towing capacity than the regular Sport, however I can't imagine why increasing your power & torque delivery would negatively affect your towing capacity."

Based on this and what my dealer told me, I don't think I am buying the torque curve/bushings reasoning that the ECU patch or upping your horsepower this way is going to affect tow capacity.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I can buy the lower towing rating with the suspension changes, but I would still be kind of leery to push the maximum published towing capacity after the velocity AP tune. I would probably follow the guideline published for the SVR.

I've owned both and honestly IMO the extra money was only worth it for me because I got the Estoril blue color on the SVR that really made it stand out. I wouldn't pay the premium for any other color for the SVR. The seats are awesome but otherwise it's the same car. It's a lot to spend extra but if you got it, and you're getting the SVR color then I would say do it, but otherwise I don't see the point honestly. It's really not faster, and it really doesn't handle any better. It does however sound a lot meaner which was also kinda worth it. But then the SC was also very good sounding.
    2016 RRS SVR

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by delray View Post
    Reply from VelocityAP
    "There are a number of factors influence towing capacity, including the vehicle weight, suspension, Load rating of Tires etc. If you're interested I would recommend researching SAE Standard J2807. I don't know the specific reason that the SVR has a lower rated towing capacity than the regular Sport, however I can't imagine why increasing your power & torque delivery would negatively affect your towing capacity."

Based on this and what my dealer told me, I don't think I am buying the torque curve/bushings reasoning that the ECU patch or upping your horsepower this way is going to affect tow capacity.

Whether you buy it or not it is the reason that this was done. It was change without any owner knowing it because they began having premature bushing failures in extremely hot country's. Rather than try and redesign the bushings they limited initial torque. This comes from corporate engineers.. If Slamming the transmission with full engine force on a vehicle with this weight is bad enough combine that with extremely hot year round temps 100+ and the transmission gets beat to H--- Now add another 7k lbs to the mix and your tranny could fail before you need new brakes
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now