2018 sport - throttle delay
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2018 sport - throttle delay

2018 sport - throttle delay

Just bought a new 2018 RR Sport HSE and it has a delay in acceleration when stopped - dealer clocked it a 0.8 second delay between when the accelerator is depressed and the car starts moving. Very dangerous when turning on to busy roads from a full stop. RR apparently doesn't have a fix. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

Is it because of the auto stop/start? Mine is a '16 but has a delay if start/stop is on. I always turn it off
    Current:
    2016.5 Range Rover Sport HSE - Firenze/Ebony

Past:
    1966 Porsche 912
    1968 Camaro SS w/396 - Orange
    1980 Mazda RX7
    1995 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta - Red/Black
    2005 Lexus IS 300
    2006 Range Rover Sport HSE - Sliver
    2010 Benz C Class
    2012 Audi A6
    2014 Porsche 911 S - Black/Black
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Limited" & "Altitude"

FRESHMAN ROVER
    The “tip-in” can be adjusted via software. Sprinter is a brand that makes it for just about any drive-by-wire car, like ours are. I hate mine too. I even have a Velocity AP tune which helped some, but still not the way id like it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Its a known issue with the newer HSE models on both sport and full-sized but they are trying to get a fix for it (which is BS). The V8 does NOT have the same issue fyi, and yes I think it's really quite dangerous as well. The problem seems to be exacerbated when rolling at low speeds, using the manual paddles, the problem doesn't seem to be there, so it's linked to the trans as well.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I only have my 2019 hse dynamic for about two weeks and barely 100 miles on it and it has happened to me at least a dozen times at the worst possible times like when trying to get out of the way of an oncoming car(which just happened) seemed like forever thought i was a done for.

I tried to notice if the engine revs up when this happens because many folks say its the transmission and i dont see any increase in rpms. this is so dangerous there has to be some sort of fix. I could see trying to get used to it if it was like turbo lag if it happened on ever press of the pedal but it is totally random and it takes you by surprise.

I am especially sensitive to this because I was in a huge rollover accident with my 2002 grand cherokee when someone blew a stop sign and i was not able to get out of the way. 4 surgeries later and now disabled from it.

I had a bad flashback after tonights close call. If it cant be fixed i dont think i could live with this...
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

FRESHMAN ROVER

This is a problem with my (lemon) L494 5.0 SC as well. The lag seemed more noticeable on my second engine, and only seems to apply when accelerating while in 2nd gear (which is most times, if not always, used as the functional first gear by the vehicle, so often times it happens while accelerating from a stop).
    2018 L494 5.0 S/C Dynamic (died)
    2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have never had a delay from a stand still, however three separate times I've been in low gear and going up a hill I try to accelerate (drop a gear) and nothing happens so I release the pedal and slam it to the floor and then it kicks down. Again, only 3-4x it's happened but still very weird. 2016 RRS v8 dynamic

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by packetpilot View Post
    This is a problem with my (lemon) L494 5.0 SC as well. The lag seemed more noticeable on my second engine, and only seems to apply when accelerating while in 2nd gear (which is most times, if not always, used as the functional first gear by the vehicle, so often times it happens while accelerating from a stop).
    Did you ever get a reason or fix for your problem?

I did some more driving around today to see if i could pinpoint it better and it happens every time i come to a quick stop at a sign or when turning around streets. It is most dangerous when pulling out of parking lot or cross street when oncoming traffic is coming and you want to gun it to merge and it sometimes takes 2 seconds to kick in. Im sure it seems to approaching traffic as if i stalled in front of them.

It is really only noticeable at low speed or rolling starts and when i press the throttle the engine does not rev up for the delay period. I am very sick about this and really hope there is a fix because i waited so long for this and i love the truck even with its quirks. If they cannot solve this for my I will not be able to drive this its too dangerous, It only takes one time for things to go real bad.

I am hoping they can correct this.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I noticed the same thing but found that driving in Dynamic mode fixed the problem. If standard Dynamic is too stiff, you can play with the settings and make a custom setting within Dynamic. Good luck.

Happens occasionally to me as well, with SCV8, in dynamic mode, and the Velocity tune.

I'll push the pedal and nothing happens. Usually I'll release and try again, and finally the engine responds and it kinda bucks then accelerates like crazy because the pedal is mashed at this point.
    2016 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento
    2018 Honda Odyssey Elite - Obsidian Blue/Gray

FRESHMAN ROVER

Any updates on this issue? I'm going to take my V6 HSE for a long test drive before signing the papers.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I'm glad this thread got bumped; as i'm looking at a used RRS; honestly, this sounds pretty scary. I'll definitely be following this thread.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rac10000 View Post
    Any updates on this issue? I'm going to take my V6 HSE for a long test drive before signing the papers.
    Nothing yet I am still trying to calm down from the last nightmare i had with them not doing anything to address the issues and updates with my 2019 fpace I will not be going to that dealership anymore i need to find another one that will act professional.

Be sure to pay attention quick stops and go's while driving bring the car down to a near crawl and then try an accelerate. Do this many different ways do a quick stop and go turning around corners after you are clear of cross traffic. basically check it in every possible normal driving condition. I made the mistake of signing for it first without driving it, if i did i would have noticed it. I picked it up Christmas Eve so I wasn't really focused.

To this day I have less than 250 Miles on it because I am uneasy driving it and if it wasnt for the crazy lack of help from the dealership and the disrespect shown to me by JLRNA I would have brought it in. It can be really upsetting and shouldnt be I just dont like the confrontation dont need the stress.

If there is any sign of this DO NOT take it wait for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
    I'm glad this thread got bumped; as i'm looking at a used RRS; honestly, this sounds pretty scary. I'll definitely be following this thread.
    My experience over 55,000 miles has been closer to nrb123's and not bill2019's which does sound scary. I have a 2016 so maybe it's a bigger issue in newer vehicles?

For me it's more annoying than anything else. It's usually when I'm trying to speed up in the passing lane, not from a standstill.
    2016 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento
    2018 Honda Odyssey Elite - Obsidian Blue/Gray

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

I drove my car last night (scheduled to take delivery on Wednesday) and didn't notice any severe delay. I drove around local roads for a little bit to try different situations. I noticed the pedal isn't super sensitive and sometimes the transmission takes a split second to decide to give a lower gear (going up a hill) but did not notice an instance where the pedal was just unresponsive for a full second or so like bill2019 was describing. I just hope I don't discover it after taking delivery. Problems with no fix (or ones that are intermittent) are a nightmare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now