2018 sport - throttle delay - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

    Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 86

Thread: 2018 sport - throttle delay

  1. #16
    SOPHOMORE ROVER
    Join Date
    October 18th, 2013
    Location
    Kitchener, on
    Posts
    271

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2019 View Post
    Did you ever get a reason or fix for your problem?

    I did some more driving around today to see if i could pinpoint it better and it happens every time i come to a quick stop at a sign or when turning around streets. It is most dangerous when pulling out of parking lot or cross street when oncoming traffic is coming and you want to gun it to merge and it sometimes takes 2 seconds to kick in. Im sure it seems to approaching traffic as if i stalled in front of them.

    It is really only noticeable at low speed or rolling starts and when i press the throttle the engine does not rev up for the delay period. I am very sick about this and really hope there is a fix because i waited so long for this and i love the truck even with its quirks. If they cannot solve this for my I will not be able to drive this its too dangerous, It only takes one time for things to go real bad.

    I am hoping they can correct this.
    Can you take a video and post?
    See if others are experiencing the exact same thing?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Range Rover Sport- SVR- Estoril Blue- Cirrus
    2016 Range Rover Sport- V8 Dynamic- Corris Grey- London Tan

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    December 21st, 2018
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    143

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Has anyone seen this post from the L405 sub-forum? https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/24...ml#post2250672

    It says that Auto mode on the terrain response system can play a role in throttle delay when the ambient temp outside is at or below freezing. Can anyone who is having these issues validate that? If it's as simple as taking the terrain response system out of Auto mode, that would be amazing.
    2019 RRS SCV8 ATB L494, Indus Silver
    2017 Range Rover SCV8 L405, Scotia Gray (wife's car)

  4. #18
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2018
    Location
    long island, ny
    Posts
    249

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Quote Originally Posted by Holeecow View Post
    Can you take a video and post?
    See if others are experiencing the exact same thing?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes I will be getting to that as soon as the weather gets a bit better. I plan on doing this so i can show the dealer just have to figure a way of videoing my foot and the road at the same time LOL.

    Dwboston it unfortunately is not that dont have terrain response 2 even. I have tried ever mode possible and the symptoms that are display are nothing like the adjustment of throttle response that those modes provide.
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

  5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements
     

  6. #19
    JUNIOR ROVER Hodog16's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2013
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    972

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    It's happened to me while in dynamic mode which I drive most of the time unless it's raining heavily, so it's not as simple as staying out of auto mode.
    2016 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento
    2018 Honda Odyssey Elite - Obsidian Blue/Gray

  7. #20
    NEWBIE
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2018
    Location
    GAITHERSBURG, MD
    Posts
    1

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Hi everyone,

    I bought a pedal commander for my 2015 RR SC. I have no delays from the gas pedal.
    Hope this helps.

  8. #21
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2018
    Location
    long island, ny
    Posts
    249

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Quote Originally Posted by ricks_y View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I bought a pedal commander for my 2015 RR SC. I have no delays from the gas pedal.
    Hope this helps.
    Yeah ricks thanks for the advice but the peddle commander only changes the parameters of the throttle response similar to the way the different drive modes do. This unfortunately will not help our problem because it is a lack of communication response to the ecu/engine any modifications with a device as yours will not help but thanks anyway..
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

  9. #22
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2018
    Location
    long island, ny
    Posts
    249

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Ok did a little testing and investigating. after speaking with a service manager and others jlr is planning on issuing a software patch to try and alleviate the delay, this probably is just going to be a change in adaptions for transmission and throttle. It seems that the biggest problem is when the wheel is turned at slow speeds, I have noticed it even going straight but seems to be worse when turning.

    The TCM monitors the data like speed throttle demand and rpm as well as steering angle. The reason it monitors steering angle is so it does not change gears while turning.

    so after piecing this info together it kinda makes sense as to why there is a more pronounced delay while turning, while slowing down the transmission is downshifting and trying to determine what gear to select. it needs all of the above info to determine what the demand will be so if the wheel is turned it is unable to determine the correct course of action because it has a rule to not shift while the steering angle is beyond a certain parameter. all of this processing is causing a jam up.

    I personally see this as a contributing factor but not the only reason. during my early testing I did notice that the rpm and throttle demand reading that the PCM and tcm reading are off, not only in time response but also in info. it seems as both the TCM and Fuel managment system read the same and lag behind what the PCM is showing. it does appear to match up with the same amount of delay that is experienced.

    although i noticed this difference I still have yet to do any more testing to see how relevant this is or for a reason for the differences. I plan on doing some more investigating as time permits. Im like a dog with a bone.
    I would be happy if the software solves our problem but will always need to know why.
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

  10. #23
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    68

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2019 View Post
    Ok did a little testing and investigating. after speaking with a service manager and others jlr is planning on issuing a software patch to try and alleviate the delay, this probably is just going to be a change in adaptions for transmission and throttle. It seems that the biggest problem is when the wheel is turned at slow speeds, I have noticed it even going straight but seems to be worse when turning.

    The TCM monitors the data like speed throttle demand and rpm as well as steering angle. The reason it monitors steering angle is so it does not change gears while turning.

    so after piecing this info together it kinda makes sense as to why there is a more pronounced delay while turning, while slowing down the transmission is downshifting and trying to determine what gear to select. it needs all of the above info to determine what the demand will be so if the wheel is turned it is unable to determine the correct course of action because it has a rule to not shift while the steering angle is beyond a certain parameter. all of this processing is causing a jam up.

    I personally see this as a contributing factor but not the only reason. during my early testing I did notice that the rpm and throttle demand reading that the PCM and tcm reading are off, not only in time response but also in info. it seems as both the TCM and Fuel managment system read the same and lag behind what the PCM is showing. it does appear to match up with the same amount of delay that is experienced.

    although i noticed this difference I still have yet to do any more testing to see how relevant this is or for a reason for the differences. I plan on doing some more investigating as time permits. Im like a dog with a bone.
    I would be happy if the software solves our problem but will always need to know why.
    Lets hope that software makes things a lot better. It would be nice if this comes down to code efficiency to clean up the CANBus or make processing the data more streamlined/faster.
    The interesting thing here, is that its not only JLR dealing with this. Every vehicle with an auto trans with more than 4 gears has this issue to some degree. It all comes down to the vehicle trying to determine what gear to start in and getting to that gear when you depress the accelerator. My wifes 2006 ford explorer was the worst, and also fords first 6 speed. (Based on a ZF design, hhuumm). My 2010 Tahoe had it, and to a lesser degree my 2015 Yukon has it (8speed). I have felt it in the wifes Discovery sport (that thing was a POS) and in her F-pace. Most notably, when decelerating and slowly coming to a stop, and just when the car is about to stop, accelerate - confuses the crap out of the PCM/TCM.

  11. #24
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2018
    Location
    long island, ny
    Posts
    249

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Quote Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
    Lets hope that software makes things a lot better. It would be nice if this comes down to code efficiency to clean up the CANBus or make processing the data more streamlined/faster.
    The interesting thing here, is that its not only JLR dealing with this. Every vehicle with an auto trans with more than 4 gears has this issue to some degree. It all comes down to the vehicle trying to determine what gear to start in and getting to that gear when you depress the accelerator. My wifes 2006 ford explorer was the worst, and also fords first 6 speed. (Based on a ZF design, hhuumm). My 2010 Tahoe had it, and to a lesser degree my 2015 Yukon has it (8speed). I have felt it in the wifes Discovery sport (that thing was a POS) and in her F-pace. Most notably, when decelerating and slowly coming to a stop, and just when the car is about to stop, accelerate - confuses the crap out of the PCM/TCM.
    well, the strange thing about that is I have a 2019 f pace s with the same v6 and it does not have any delay at all you barely step on the pedal and it takes off. thats why its so hard to do from driving that to driving the RRS.
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

  12. #25
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    68

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2019 View Post
    well, the strange thing about that is I have a 2019 f pace s with the same v6 and it does not have any delay at all you barely step on the pedal and it takes off. thats why its so hard to do from driving that to driving the RRS.
    The F-Pace has been the best car we have had in a long time. That delay happens few and far between, and i THINK? only in eco mode where the throttle maps is really conservative. And before someone asks, it was not the autostop /start delay, i usually have that off and know what it does.
    The rovers have the 8HP70, the F-pace has the 8HP45. Similar but different tranny.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; March 30th, 2019 at 08:12 AM.

  13. #26
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2018
    Posts
    158

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    The way this is being described, it appears to be an issue of the trans being slow to select the proper gear. Can someone try shifting this trans manually and see if the problem changes, either for better or worse? Drive by wire may also be the source, but that should show up with manual shifting as well. Ray

  14. #27
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    January 28th, 2019
    Posts
    19

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    The ZF 8-speed is broadly used and considered to be an excellent transmission. This is most definitely a software issue with LR and not an issue with the transmission.

  15. #28
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    68

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Quote Originally Posted by jsherhart View Post
    The ZF 8-speed is broadly used and considered to be an excellent transmission. This is most definitely a software issue with LR and not an issue with the transmission.
    The TCM is internal to the tranny and its my understanding the software is a collaborative between ZF and the vehicle manufacture.

    BMW uses ZF trannys https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+throttle+delay
    SO does the F150 https://www.google.com/search?q=2018...throttle+delay
    So does the RAM trucks.

    I agree, its a software problem. It does not seem to be isolated to JLR though. ( Not that JLR has a great reputation when it comes to software)

  16. #29
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2018
    Location
    long island, ny
    Posts
    249

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    So even though they have said a software update should be out in April this SSM does not leave me feeling confident. The typical answer is that it is operating within spec's. That doesnt mean that they didnt make a mistake when building it and shouldnt fix it.

    Check this out: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...54062-9999.pdf
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

  17. #30
    FORUM MODERATOR RRToadHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2006
    Location
    Kloshe Lodge, Shelter Bay, Washington
    Posts
    27,612

    Re: 2018 sport - throttle delay

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2019 View Post
    I only have my 2019 hse dynamic for about two weeks and barely 100 miles on it and it has happened to me at least a dozen times at the worst possible times like when trying to get out of the way of an oncoming car(which just happened) seemed like forever thought i was a done for.

    I tried to notice if the engine revs up when this happens because many folks say its the transmission and i dont see any increase in rpms. this is so dangerous there has to be some sort of fix. I could see trying to get used to it if it was like turbo lag if it happened on ever press of the pedal but it is totally random and it takes you by surprise.

    I am especially sensitive to this because I was in a huge rollover accident with my 2002 grand cherokee when someone blew a stop sign and i was not able to get out of the way. 4 surgeries later and now disabled from it.

    I had a bad flashback after tonights close call. If it cant be fixed i dont think i could live with this...
    simply turn the auto stop/start off after starting your rig. directions are in your owner's manual.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Similar Threads

  1. Throttle Delay issue on 08 RRS HSE (4.4L Petrol)
    By Xrover in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: June 9th, 2018, 07:28 PM
  2. Throttle Body Hose - coolant tank to throttle body
    By RoverABQ in forum Range Rover Mark II / P38
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2015, 08:57 AM
  3. Interior lamp delay/timer relay
    By Merlin in forum Range Rover Classic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM
  4. Can't find EAS Delay Timer, am I dumb??? or blind???
    By omarawatch in forum Range Rover Mark II / P38
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM
  5. Production delay for Supercharged?
    By Ormond2005 in forum Range Rover Sport / L320
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0