Gearbox clunking noise?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox clunking noise?

Gearbox clunking noise?

Hi,

Having bought my car new in June and reported a clunking noise when selecting drive from parked, I was told it would settle, then told to monitor it and now told it's normal. Really? The 3 loan cars I've had don't do it.

Is this right? The dealer can't show me it on any other vehicle. It happens after it's been parked and can be quite violent at times.

They say if I disable auto access height it will stop it. But why would I do that?

Your thoughts appreciated.
    Range Rover Sport 2017
    HSE SDV6 2993CC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Gearbox clunking noise?

Do you set the parking brake when parked, then put it into Drive without manually disengaging the parking brake (and letting the vehicle automatically disengage the parking brake)? I usually always use the parking brake and noticed a loud clunk whenever I put the truck into Drive. I thought it was something with the gearbox, but I noticed it never makes that noise if I don't use the parking brake or manually disengage the parking brake before putting it into Drive. So...it may just be the sound of the parking brake disengaging...
    2019 RRS Supercharged Dynamic (Corris Grey / Vintage Tan)

2016 RRS HSE (Fuji White / Ebony) - SOLD

FRESHMAN ROVER

Parking brake sound releasing isn't a 'clunk' for me, it's more of a mechanical motor sound 'wherrrn'. I sometimes get clunks when downshifting when the gearbox is under load, but loud clunks every time it goes into drive points to a larger problem - I recall reading on the L322 forums some clunks were found to be misalignments, but that's just a shot in the dark at this point without a mechanic looking into it.
    2017 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic, Firenze Red
    https://www.instagram.com/fablesandtrails/

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER
    I had a simlair issue and realized that it was because the car was parked on a hill and the car sorta came to rest on the transmission. I was told to engage the brakes so that would take the load of the car vs the transmission.

Can you try the following to see if there's any difference?

Stop car
    Shift to park
    Engage parking brake
    Release brake
    Turn off engine
    Exit car.

Vs what I used to normally do was

Stop car
    Shift to park
    Release Brake
    Engage parking brake
    Turn car off
    Exit car

If you've already tried this, then I'm sorry I'm not of any help! Lol

I know how frustrating it is when you're the techs can't get it right, say it's 'normal', but not a single other car on the lot does the same thing.

Btw, if you haven't already? Make sure to take a video of the sound in case it gets worse.

Good luck!
    2018 Range Rover Sport- SVR- Estoril Blue- Cirrus
    2016 Range Rover Sport- V8 Dynamic- Corris Grey- London Tan

If you have a clunking noise when shifting from park to drive, you have slack somewhere in the drivetrain. If the dealer can't reproduce it in any other car, have them fix it. It is not normal, it will not go away and you shouldn't have to disable access height to eliminate it. It sounds like your dealer doesn't want to deal with it. It is either in the tranny, rearend, transfer case, ujoints or cv joints somewhere.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Mine does this sometimes after having been parked on an incline. Never really thought anything of it. Never when parked on level ground.
    2017.5 Range Rover Sport V8 SC Dynamic

thank you. no, i never use the brake. I pull up, stop and hit park. It's not all the time, but enough to put me off as none of the cars I've owned before do it. Land Rover say its a thing with single transmission gearbox, but thats not what I expected. Sometimes it's really loud.
    Range Rover Sport 2017
    HSE SDV6 2993CC

Quote Originally Posted by Holeecow View Post
    I had a simlair issue and realized that it was because the car was parked on a hill and the car sorta came to rest on the transmission. I was told to engage the brakes so that would take the load of the car vs the transmission.

Can you try the following to see if there's any difference?

Stop car
    Shift to park
    Engage parking brake
    Release brake
    Turn off engine
    Exit car.

Vs what I used to normally do was

Stop car
    Shift to park
    Release Brake
    Engage parking brake
    Turn car off
    Exit car

If you've already tried this, then I'm sorry I'm not of any help! Lol

I know how frustrating it is when you're the techs can't get it right, say it's 'normal', but not a single other car on the lot does the same thing.

Btw, if you haven't already? Make sure to take a video of the sound in case it gets worse.

Good luck!
    They kinda suggested something like that about the car resting on the transmission, but they can't explain why none of the other cars on the whole lot do it. They've suggested it is because ALL the other cars are twin transmission. Which I find hard to believe that out of 100 cars there, they struggled to find 1.

Thank you, I tried your suggestions and it did seem to happen less but thats not really the option I need. I shouldn't have to think about the order of how I park the car. I'll do the video thing for sure.
    Range Rover Sport 2017
    HSE SDV6 2993CC

FRESHMAN ROVER

I've been paying more attention and you're right, it does it occasionally on level ground too. Haven't figured out the exact steps that lead to it. Still not overly concerned about it. Sounds more like the parking brake releasing when under tension. I don't think the gearbox is being harmed. Do note the truck automatically applies the e-parking brake every single time you shift into park.

I appreciate you coming back to me SirMatt, and also that you are not concerned about it. Maybe mine is a louder noise than yours. Having owned 4x4 trucks before and other cars of this caliber, it's not something I can live with for 3 years. I've now contacted LandRover head office here in the UK as, it's now been 8 days and still not had a call back which I was promised. Seems poor service given the price we pay for these things.

The sad thing too is, this is and was my dream car, but it's turning into a nightmare with the customer service.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; November 21st, 2017 at 07:07 AM.
    Range Rover Sport 2017
    HSE SDV6 2993CC

FRESHMAN ROVER

Did any of your previous vehicles have an electronic parking brake? Was it set automatically when you shift into park? Might not be comparing apples to apples.

Just curious, did disabling Auto Access Height resolve the issue? If so, again this would suggest to me parking brake not gear box. If you've ever noticed that while you hold the brake if the height is changing you can hear/feel some strain being applied to the brakes as the suspension geometry changes. I read somewhere that JLR suggested adjusting the height when stationary without a foot on the brake.

There was a new software update just released to dealers along with PATHFINDER v113. It contains a software update to the Terrain Response Switchpack referred to as the All Terrain Control Module (ATCM). Might be worth having your dealer apply it. It doesn't explain why, but apparently this module is continuing to draw power while the vehicle is off and it shouldn't be. Never know.

In case it helps.. you can ask your service dept. to open a TA (technical assistance) request with Land Rover. It's basically their version of opening a support ticket for guidance from JLR. If the initial TA doesn't provide any valuable guidance, request that your TA be "escalated to GDS". GDS is global diagnostic support at Land Rover's head office and contains the brightest folks with direct access to the engineers.

I hope you end up getting a satisfactory answer. Please do come back and report here, as myself and likely many others would appreciate the insight.

Cheers.

Again, thank you Matt. Yes disabling auto access height fix it. My issue is that AAH is a convenience feature, and disabling it is not convenient for us as a family.
    Yes, we did have electronic parking brakes on the other cars too with no issues.

They tell me it's the car resting on the transmission, which, as a non-tech driver, i don't know what that means. All I know is it didn't do it on any of the other cars. They say it's because it's the single speed gearbox. I'm disappointed as all the cars I drove prior to buying it and have had whilst it's been in are 'twin speed' gearboxes, so the dealer claims. I just don't buy their explanation.
    The conflicting information from them is disappointing for such a prestigious brand.

The new software update sounds interesting, i'll see what happens next and ask them. Currently it's now with LandRover UK who have taken charge of it. We'll see what they have to say. The sad thing is, it's my dream car but the whole ordeal is being dealt with badly.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; November 7th, 2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: useless quote
    Range Rover Sport 2017
    HSE SDV6 2993CC

FRESHMAN ROVER

I don't buy it either. Mine has the twin speed and it does as you describe, just not as often by the sounds of it. Keep pushing for a definitive answer, you're entitled to it. There are some really smart folks over at JLR, it's just a matter of pursuing it until it gets escalated to the right group.

SENIOR ROVER

If your battery voltage is low it will sometimes result in ratchet type clunking noise. I had a faulty alternator and experienced that. When they told me it was low voltage in the battery that made it happen I was having a hard time accepting it, but turns out they were right. You might want to just check if the alternator is up to par. I only have 20K miles and mine was replaced under warranty at 18K miles. Also eventually as things got worse my transmission would go into netral by itself and in the end it would be stuck in park and they had to flatbed the car to the dealer.
    2016 Mercedes Benz AMG-C63S
    2015.5 RRS Autobiography, deployable side steps

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I realised I also had the same issue. It happens sometimes, not all the time. I will try disable auto access height and see how.
    May i know what is single speed transmission?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now