Gearbox clunking noise? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox clunking noise?

Re: Gearbox clunking noise?

That term has been mislabeled in this thread. All RRS have the same transmission. Some have a transfer case after the transmission to lower the effective gear ratio.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; November 21st, 2017 at 07:08 AM.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

It's been mislabeled in more than a few threads.
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I Have disable auto access height and didnt experience and clunking sound after that. Seems like the lowered height really result in the clunk. One way am thinking is to manually raise the height to normal before driving off. Otherwise anyone has any fix pls update. Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Mine makes a straining or creaking noise when the access height lowers once i stop. It also makes a clunk when i go from Park to Reverse or Reverse to Drive after i leave my driveway (which is a slight inclibne). I hear some strange pumping noise when I stop very occasionally but it comes and goes.

Rather difficult to comment and educate folks when so many of you fail to follow the guidelines and have your Rover's info in your signatures or locations for climate related issues. It really does make for more accurate responses.

For instance groaning and creaking when lowering is pretty usual for dried bushings. "Strange pumping noise" is most likely your EAS pump doing it's thing. Clunking on an incline is totally normal as the weight of your rig is shifted downhill on the drive train with that weight on your your parking pawl in your transmission.

As far as autoaccess or lowering to access manually it's all the same. You park then lower, the geometry of your suspension and drive train change. That in turn creates tension on the parts which is released with any movement. BTW, if you are doing autoaccess for the "cool" factor you are only adding unnecessary wear to your compressor. Every time you dump the air from the EAS bladders to lower your rig, the air tank then empties to raise you back up. The compressor in turn has to run the replace the air in the tank. So skip access mode unless you are vertically impaired or have a medical reason for needing to lower your Rover every time you park.
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I guess autoacess height will be useful for family with kids as well as for the lowered look when park. Agree with u on wearing the compressor faster. But if i switch off access height and not going off road, bascially the car will be kept in normal height 99% of the time. Will occassionally releasing the air and working the compressor be better?

Thank you for all the responses so far.

"groaning and creaking when lowering is pretty usual for dried bushings". It's not as it's lowering. It's after it's been parked and you start up and engage the gear again.

So, after 5 months, JLR UK Customer relationship centre have come back with their 'final' answer. They are now telling me it's a 'characteristic' of the vehicle. She then went on and lied by saying my dealer had demonstrated it in alternative vehicles, of which they hadn't...

"I appreciate that my response was not the outcome that you hoped for, however please be assured that this concern was investigated fully with the relevant departments and has been reviewed accordingly before I had outlined our final position as the manufacturer.

As previously advised, the noise you have advised us of is a characteristic of the vehicle and there is no manufacturing defect present and therefore there are no repairs that can be carried out. I understand that have also taken the opportunity to demonstrate this in alternative vehicles and as I am sure you can appreciate, there will always be variances between vehicles due to specification, however I understand that they were able to recreate this and provide confirmation of the characteristic.

I would therefore be unable to provide any further support or advice on this matter as we have outlined our final position on this matter."

So, basically they are washing their hands of it and saying to me 'LIVE WITH IT'. As it's taken 5 months to get here I'm passed my legal right to reject the vehicle. I appreciate what you are saying RRToadHall, but as I mentioned, none of the vehicles I drove prior to buying it or whilst mine has been in make or made the noise thats why I have an issue with it.

They have handled it very poorly for such a prestigious brand. This was supposed to be my dream car and my customer journey has been very unpleasant. They've already lost one sale due to me telling the story of how I've been dealt with to a friend who went back to Audi instead.

Since the last time it went in and had an a software update, my iPhone7 now won't connect with inControl and only one of the two USB charging ports work. They tell me 'it's working fine'.

What would you do? I've started preparing a blog.
    Range Rover Sport 2017
    HSE SDV6 2993CC

Quote Originally Posted by RR Sport1 View Post

What would you do?
    Since you asked, I would get over it.

I see nothing here worthy of the ire and disdain you are voicing. Certainly no body here give a rip about some mysterious "friend" that "went back to Audi". Such lines are nothing more than sour grapes and posturing.

Here on RRnet we see 4 or 5 folks a year that have a minor issue that they hound the dealers about, cry foul when no reasonable issue is found and the issue can not be duplicated. There are a few instances that can cause the clunking you describe, none of which are a design flaw, safety issue or failing parts. If this issue is really so huge you can not live with it you need to move on. You will never be happy with this vehicle or the dealership you are dealing with. Sell the rig and go purchase another make of vehicle.
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

Sucks they couldn't come to a root-cause diagnosis for you. I know it can be very unsettling when not knowing exactly what's going on, particularly with something that you obviously care a great deal about.

I doubt there really is much you can do at this point, except try to move past it mentally. You've got 4 years of warranty in case it does get worse or cause any serious drivetrain issues in the future. You never know, a week a month a year from now, something in your routine or in the vehicle might change ever so slightly and the noise might disappear forever. I do honestly think these are amazing vehicles, and in time you'll come to love it for all the things it has to offer.

Maybe record a video and post it for us? At least I/we can tell you whether the noise we think we are hearing that is the same really is the same as yours. If so, maybe just knowing a few other vehicles do the same thing would be some solace? I'd be happy to review it. I'll also keep an eye on TOPIx. If I see anything published relating to your issue I'll post something here. That's the great benefit of this community.

You can post a new thread about your connectivity and charging issues, maybe someone can help. Have you upgraded to iOS 11.2? Apparently 11.1 had a ton of issues with connectivity. We can also help tell you whether your InControl Touch Pro is up to date or not.

Keep in mind the USB ports are data ports, not charging ports. They're not powered highly enough to quickly or efficiently charge devices. It'll maintain a device's charge, but charging it up will be slow or not at all. USB ports with proper charging capabilities were added in MY2018.
    2017.5 Range Rover Sport V8 SC Dynamic

Thanks Sir Matt. Appreciate your time and reply. Yeah I love the car, it's my dream car. I just want to keep the car and have all the bits working as they should. I appreciate what you say about the warranty but I think at this point it's more about how the customer journey has been handled for 5 months when it could have been dealt with a lot earlier.

They told me there is a new software update that might fix the connectivity issues. The technician DID identify a faulty USB unit while I was there and has now ordered another one. So, it's not sour grapes as ToadHall has tried to imply, there are genuine issues with the car. Looking further at ToadHall's profile I see he is very car experienced and probably finds it easy to identify things on cars/trucks. I'm NOT experienced in cars other than buying them and driving them, so I feel it was a little harsh reply. But hey, thats what forums are for I guess?

Once again, I appreciate your time. They are back on it next week anyway, so we'll see what happens.
    Range Rover Sport 2017
    HSE SDV6 2993CC

Yes I've been into cars my entire life, even had my own restoration shop for many years. I am ASE certified, I spent six weeks in specialized training at Crewe for post war certification on Rolls and Bentley, I've also had training in Solihull and Jersey. I've been working on British cars for over 40 years and Range Rovers for 30.

It matters not if members are experienced. When any member comes to a forum for advice, and numerous people give them similar advice which is pretty much dismissed and ignored some of us have to ask why we bother. Trouble shooting is an art form that comes for experience, technical knowledge and pretty good dose of common sense. The frustrations in trouble shooting on all forums are the folks you have to play 20 questions with because they don't provide basic info or leave out important details.
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

FRESHMAN ROVER

I was having the same issue, it was not a sound more of a knock I was able to feel, after reading and also the comments from ToadHall about the compressor I set my suspension now to normal height and disable AAH and the clunk went away, I do have it sometimes but very minimal I can barely feel it, thinking all the RRS are like that.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    The aah is a add onfor my2016 onwards right? So prior to that there is no such function. I wonder for rrs my2014, when they park and lowered the vehicle manually, do they need to manually adjust the height to normal before driving off? Because if I do that in my rrs, i dont get the clunk so the prob is the AAH which is probably a after thought.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi , I have a MY2015.5, with no AAH. I normally press the lower button as I park. (I have heard that there may be some suspension stresses as the car settles, so I either lower the car as it is still moving or make sure not to apply the parking brake before lowering so as to allow some movement in the wheels to provide some adjustment room for the suspension, I have no idea how true this might be though). The car automatically raises itself as I drive away, or I sometimes raise the car by pressing the button when I deactivate the stop-start. I have no clunking noises whatsoever, all nice and smooth and quiet. Hope this helps.
    Greg

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Quote Originally Posted by GregRRS View Post
    Hi , I have a MY2015.5, with no AAH. I normally press the lower button as I park. (I have heard that there may be some suspension stresses as the car settles, so I either lower the car as it is still moving or make sure not to apply the parking brake before lowering so as to allow some movement in the wheels to provide some adjustment room for the suspension, I have no idea how true this might be though). The car automatically raises itself as I drive away, or I sometimes raise the car by pressing the button when I deactivate the stop-start. I have no clunking noises whatsoever, all nice and smooth and quiet. Hope this helps.
    Greg
    Hi Greg thanks for the info. Probably I try that and disable my AAH. Cos AAH works when it is parked and parking brake engaged.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now