Incorrect DEF Quality Error - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Incorrect DEF Quality Error

Re: Incorrect DEF Quality Error

HI NYC sport, i have had the same issue for the past 12 months on a 13 mth old car, they keep telling me that its the software - how did you manage to get them to swap the part? has this fixed the issue

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Sorry, have not checked here in a while. The dealer had the car a few times. First changed an NOx sensor, then software updates, did not fix the problem. Land Rover engineering told them to pressure test exhaust, found a leak, replaced the catalytic converter. I drove off, 5 miles away, check engine light (but not DEF warning) came on, went back. Changed a second NOx sensor on the other side of the converter. No issues since last June (although DEF consumption has increased). At the time, this was an 18 month-old 2016.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am having either a similar or the same issue. I have a 2016 RRS TD6 and I am fairly certain the dealer did the software update although I will confirm today when they open. I got the DEF low light about a week ago and just yesterday it went to the “incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality” message. What is especially odd is that I got a low light less than 1000 miles ago and added on bottle (purchased at the dealership). The message went away for a few weeks until just recently. I went last night and purchased another 2 bottles. After filling up, I did the 3 start/run for 30 seconds/stop procedure as per the manual to reset the counter and this did not work. I will try that again this morning and a couple normal drive cycles as well to see if this goes away although reading this thread makes me think that this will not be the solution.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Update: added more DEF and tried resetting without success. I dropped the car off at the dealer to see if I need a software update or something else at this point. I will keep everyone posted if I have a more definitive answer to what seems to be a recurring issue on some of the diesels.

My 2016 had the same issue, at first they thought it was a software update also. They leak tested the system and eventually found it was a bad nox sensor. Took them nearly a month, got to know an evoque really well.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by ej257 View Post
    My 2016 had the same issue, at first they thought it was a software update also. They leak tested the system and eventually found it was a bad nox sensor. Took them nearly a month, got to know an evoque really well.
    I received a number of software updates and have not had an issue since although it has been less than a week since I got it back. The SA wasn’t there when I picked it up so I didn’t get an explanation and am only going based on the service paperwork.

Def quality warning light 515 miles before engine disabled, recently re filled with other brand of addblue was told initially by dealer that because i had not used landrover brand the mend would be chargable, after 1 hour of tinkering my range rover v8 vogue was repaired after a software update with no charge.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by geezer3465 View Post
    Def quality warning light 515 miles before engine disabled, recently re filled with other brand of addblue was told initially by dealer that because i had not used landrover brand the mend would be chargable, after 1 hour of tinkering my range rover v8 vogue was repaired after a software update with no charge.
    I'm glad they didn't charge you, but don't ever accept that from a dealer - the DEF you get in any auto parts store for $12 per 2.5 gallons is exactly the same as the stuff they pour in for twice that cost. Theirs isn't "special."

AdBlue does need to be stored within a certain temperature range, and if you live in a very hot or humid area, buy the DEF you intend to use right before you use it, and use all the DEF in a container at once or throw any leftovers away. It does age out and can suffer from things like water "contamination" (extra water seeping in) or evaporation, which changes the percentage of urea in the solution.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 15th, 2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: childish profanity removed

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by geezer3465 View Post

That's BS as others have said.

Urea is like engine oil in that it needs to be within specs. Not sure if it is SAE certified type of stuff though. 32-1/2% Urea and 67-1/2% water. That is like saying you need to use LR brand washer fluid.

The storage issue is pretty forgiving. When frozen and thaws it will not loose its spec. When it gets to hot for way to long than it goes bad but it very hard for it to loose its effectiveness/spec. When the US market starting working on using DEF I was at a conference specifically for DEF storage, dispensing, selling, etc. One of the tests that was talked about was when it was stored in an Arizona warehouse at 120 degrees for I believe a month. The DEF did not loose it isn't spec.

Hate it when dealers tell a customer what they think they need to know.

I knew of a dealer that talked a customer out of buying a new Hummer H1 and instead sold them a new H2. The dealer had both sitting on the lot and the BIG (LOL) selling point that the salesperson used was that the H2 got better gas mileage. LOL I guess the salesperson didn't want to sell a truck that cost $30,000 more.
    2017 Range Rover Sport- HSE Td6
    2017 Infiniti QX80
    1987 Land Rover 110 Convertible

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
    1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
    2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
    2011 Range Rover Sport- Sold

https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/members/8471-flyersfan76-albums-mine-picture12965-img-0174sm.jpg

Hello, has anyone had this error corrected and not reappear after about 3 months? I’ve had this issue “fixed” 5 times within the past 17 months, and each time it would reappear after 2-3 months regardless of the amount miles put on it. I currently have the warning on for the 6th time and my receipt from the previous repair mentions that if it occurs again, my cats/catalyst or something need to be replaced. 2016 FFRR 2016 btw

Also, has anyone tried calling LR’s customer service rather than a dealership?

Thanks!

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by krasnodar36 View Post
    Hello, has anyone had this error corrected and not reappear after about 3 months? I’ve had this issue “fixed” 5 times within the past 17 months, and each time it would reappear after 2-3 months regardless of the amount miles put on it. I currently have the warning on for the 6th time and my receipt from the previous repair mentions that if it occurs again, my cats/catalyst or something need to be replaced. 2016 FFRR 2016 btw

Also, has anyone tried calling LR’s customer service rather than a dealership?

Thanks!
    I had the same issue and it was never resolved. LR bought back my vehicle under our states Lemon Law. They would not let me purchase another TD6.
    It took a bit of research and persistence with LR to accomplish but it has worked out in the end.

2018 RRS V-8 SC Dynamic
    2017 RRS TD6 (buyback)

FRESHMAN ROVER

As my reply from 2/2018 above states, after replacing two NOx sensors and the cats, the issue for me went away and has not returned.

So here's my experience from downunder

I've just started getting the "Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid quality detected" message... Got 585km before it won't restart.

So I took it to the service agent, who, after talking to a Range Rover service agent next door said my DPF is full, won't regenerate, and said I need a new DPF unit, new DEF injectors, programming, and a oil change as oil dilution is 16%.

All for $6500... um, Aussie dollars.

Never have I had a DPF full message or any alerts that it needs a clean, which according to the manual should pop up. I can't help but think they mis-diagnosed and repair cost is a joke.

As well, when the message popped up, I had been driving highway speed for a while, so if the DPF had to autoclean it had ample opportunity.

They also said not to drive the car as it risks not starting at any time and the countdown is not correct.

So I drove off saying I'm getting another opinion

Interested to hear if anyone else has had something similar ? Seems its either a sensor or software thing.....

They also refused to reset the countdown.

I'll post up what happens and the fix.

BTW I have a Land Rover Range Rover Evoque TD4 150 SE Auto 4x4 MY16

Been an awesome car up until a few hrs ago... >.>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now