Rear Fog Lights
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear Fog Lights

FRESHMAN ROVER

Rear Fog Lights

I noticed this feature the first day I picked up my 2016 RRS SCV8 Dynamic last month but I have never seen this on another vehicle in my life and I've owned quite a few, but never an RR. Are these rear driver controlled rear fog lights a long time RR thing, are they standard on all their models and does anyone know of other vehicles that have them? I'm not sure what they are really even supposed to accomplish except to make you more visible to other cars in fog or dust, maybe to help you see when backing up in the dark?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Rear Fog Lights

Don't use them unless it is very foggy. They are blinding, I repeat blinding, to the vehicle behind you at night if it is clear. The evoque has them, and I was following my wife home one night and she had them on. It was miserable. They are intended to help prevent being rear ended on a dark foggy night where visibility is low.
    2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic
    2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5 SE V6

European spec and Canadian spec have rear fog lamps. The only American car I saw with rear fog lamps was the aurora and the later on were the Lincoln cars.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/members/596-sblvro.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/doctorownedcarscom/217367714961131

011 RRS hse lux (traded),2013 RRS hse lux +silver, vision package(current),2009 escalade hybrid(traded) for 2015i escalade platinum,2014 glk 350 4matic(current)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR Brimill1234's Avatar

they work great to back people off you at night, they are esentially small brake lights and if you have someone tailing you and turn them on it looks like your braking. Its especially fun when you wait for them to hit brakes and hammer the throttle at the same time and they dont really know what happened.
    2013 RRS HSE LUX Santorini black
    QuickSilver Exhaust
    20" Redbourne Nottinghams

I am a professional so please use caution, I may have enjoyed a few cocktails when I told you to go ahead and try this at home...

Rear fogs are on US spec rovers as well, I think they are with the visibility package. I had them on my '13 Evoque and on the '15 RRS SCV8

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Most European cars has them. All my Porsches have them. For the rear, only the right side light is on for the left hand drive car.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Sorry, I meant to say only the left side light is on.

You've never had fog lights before?
    Every Rover I have had, has had them. Hell I think some of the Jeep's I've owned have had them...
    You may need to get out more,

Martin
    '98 P38 HSE, with 385hp/385ft lbs of LSx under the hood. Fully functional HVAC, EAS, etc.
    '11 L322 SC
    '04 DiscoII - wheeling rig
    '02 P38, '79 924 for the kids.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.

Geez I am pretty sure every Rover I have ever owned back to Classics all had rear fog lights. As did many other makes.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

these have come on all of my Rovers, including my 2016 Sport. they tend to be a more prevalent feature on European makes than American. also, there are some manufacturers, like BMW, that have the hardware installed, but they don't include the switch on U.S. spec cars (including my '08 335, '11M3, and my '16 M3), so you can't use them unless you install the Euro spec light switch.

I think some European manufacturers recognize that there are too many bad drivers in the U.S. that don't know how/when to use them, so they don't give them the option in those markets. I can't tell you how many times I've been behind an Audi of some sort that had these on in perfectly clear conditions, and it is obnoxiously annoying. they basically look like brake lights are on, and the brightness distracts your eyes like a tractor beam. so just be judicious when you use them. they are a great safety feature, but use them wisely.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
    these have come on all of my Rovers, including my 2016 Sport. they tend to be a more prevalent feature on European makes than American. also, there are some manufacturers, like BMW, that have the hardware installed, but they don't include the switch on U.S. spec cars (including my '08 335, '11M3, and my '16 M3), so you can't use them unless you install the Euro spec light switch.

I think some European manufacturers recognize that there are too many bad drivers in the U.S. that don't know how/when to use them, so they don't give them the option in those markets. I can't tell you how many times I've been behind an Audi of some sort that had these on in perfectly clear conditions, and it is obnoxiously annoying. they basically look like brake lights are on, and the brightness distracts your eyes like a tractor beam. so just be judicious when you use them. they are a great safety feature, but use them wisely.
    That makes sense because we've owned three BMWs (all U.S. spec), including a '15 550 Xdrive we picked up in Munich last year (that was a BLAST BTW), and none of them have them or at least the ability to turn them on. I'll have to take a closer look at the 550 because I don't even believe they are physically there, just some reflectors in the lower bumper skirt. Other than that I've always owned Fords, partially because I inherited a Blue Oval gene from my father and because we get A-plan pricing from family that work there.

Thanks for the feedback about how bright they are, I have been tempted to use them just because they're there, now I know better.

Quote Originally Posted by bobukcat View Post
    That makes sense because we've owned three BMWs (all U.S. spec), including a '15 550 Xdrive we picked up in Munich last year (that was a BLAST BTW), and none of them have them or at least the ability to turn them on. I'll have to take a closer look at the 550 because I don't even believe they are physically there, just some reflectors in the lower bumper skirt. Other than that I've always owned Fords, partially because I inherited a Blue Oval gene from my father and because we get A-plan pricing from family that work there.

Thanks for the feedback about how bright they are, I have been tempted to use them just because they're there, now I know better.
    there's nothing you'll be able to "see" in the tailights of your 550. it's just that the bulbs that are in there will turn a few notches brighter when you switch them on.

I did the Euro delivery in September as well. was an absolute blast and I can't wait to do it again.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1173718

Quote Originally Posted by fyarf View Post
    Don't use them unless it is very foggy. They are blinding, I repeat blinding, to the vehicle behind you at night if it is clear. The evoque has them, and I was following my wife home one night and she had them on. It was miserable. They are intended to help prevent being rear ended on a dark foggy night where visibility is low.
    Mine aren't THAT bright. I use them occasionally on the DC Beltway to avoid getting rear-ended. Lot's of people drive too fast and are on the phone. It gives a little more presence to the vehicle for people with short attention spans.

I'll have to double-check them on a clear night. It's not my recollection that mine are blazingly bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadurra View Post
    Mine aren't THAT bright. I use them occasionally on the DC Beltway to avoid getting rear-ended. Lot's of people drive too fast and are on the phone. It gives a little more presence to the vehicle for people with short attention spans.

I'll have to double-check them on a clear night. It's not my recollection that mine are blazingly bright.
    I have glasses/contacts, and with my glasses (even with crizal lenses) the rear fogs glared on my lenses and caused spots in my eyes against the pitch black of night. during the day its not a big deal, but at night the contrast is the problem. I would have to wholeheartedly agree with the tractor beam comparison.

Heck, before that if my front fogs were on, my backs were on. I never turn on the backs unless I can't see (well) out the front now.

Quote Originally Posted by fyarf View Post
    I have glasses/contacts, and with my glasses (even with crizal lenses) the rear fogs glared on my lenses and caused spots in my eyes against the pitch black of night. during the day its not a big deal, but at night the contrast is the problem. I would have to wholeheartedly agree with the tractor beam comparison.

Heck, before that if my front fogs were on, my backs were on. I never turn on the backs unless I can't see (well) out the front now.
    Excellent points. I'll use them a bit more sparingly knowing that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now