BF Goodrich TA KO2 in 285 60 20?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BF Goodrich TA KO2 in 285 60 20?

BF Goodrich TA KO2 in 285 60 20?

Hey all, I'm just about to pull the trigger on a set of these for 2015 RRS Supercharged. I saw these feet ok on a Full Size RR however that car had HRE wheels so they may have played with the offset. I've been monitoring the AT Tire Thread religiously (Shoutout to you Desert Dave!!), however no feedback around this size other than Dave's 1 comment that a tire dealer recommend against the 285/55/20. My question is does anyone else have any experience with this size? Or the 285/55/20? I'm mainly worried about rubbing on normal city driving. Once I hit the trails I'll be throwing the Johnson Rod's on there. Any feedback would be extremely appreciated. Want a serious off road look.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: BF Goodrich TA KO2 in 285 60 20?

Yeah---they will give you an offroad look for sure. My wife and I ran these tires on a Toyota Tacoma and Jeep Wranger Rubicon. Just know in advance that they don't perform very well under hard cornering or braking maneuvers (on pavement). I scared the heck out of myself a couple times on decreasing radius exit ramps. They will get your attention pretty quick when the sidewall starts to buckle. On an underpowered Jeep it's one thing...on a 510 HP SUV they might be a bit of a challenge for street use.

EDIT: Amazing tire, but they definately have a "squishy" feel to them in turns. By design an offroad tire is meant to flex. You'll have to be careful not to get too aggressive with them on the tarmac.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Im getting the BFGoorich KO2 in 275/55/20 - I was advised against 285/55/20
    2015 Jaguar F-Type V8S
    2016 RRS V8 Dynamic

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

I heard they can handle a 33" tire in stock form. Any reason you were advised against the 285?

I put Cooper Discover A/T3 275/55/20's on my RRS, which fit fine at all suspension levels (and are great off-road too). The fit is so close in the lowered suspension mode, however, that I can't get my finger between the tire and the wheel well with the front wheel turned. I would imagine that the 285/60/20's would rub, at least in that suspension mode. Maybe if you never used it? They sure would look good though.
    -Dave

2014 Range Rover Sport HSE
    2010 BMW K1300S
    2005 Lotus Elise

FRESHMAN ROVER
    I was told by my tire guy that a 285/55/20 would run when the car is lowered. He had a customer try it with a 2015 RRS & there was rubbing.

I know the car would look super rad with chunky 32 or 33" all-terrains. But think about Murphy's Law: your EAS completely crap out (punctured airbag, torn air line, catastrophic fault, etc.) and you are in the boonies, most likely away from a cell phone signal or AAA range, which I assume is where you plan to go with such aggressive A/Ts. With the car sitting on the bump stops, would you be able to at least slowly crawl out of your predicament and back to civilization to get a tow, or would your tires be so jammed up against the wheel wells that they would completely prevent you from moving, or steering? Because that would really suck. On the old Sport - and I don't believe the new one is much different in that respect - going with anything above 31.5" - 32" in overall diameter was a risky proposition without major modifications and / or lifts or spacers. Also think of where you'd store a spare tire that large (on the roof? In the cargo area?), as I don't believe you'd be able to jam a 33" tire inside the spare tire well, even a fully deflated one.

Quote Originally Posted by umbertob View Post
    I know the car would look super rad with chunky 32 or 33" all-terrains. But think about Murphy's Law: your EAS completely crap out (punctured airbag, torn air line, catastrophic fault, etc.) and you are in the boonies, most likely away from a cell phone signal or AAA range, which I assume is where you plan to go with such aggressive A/Ts. With the car sitting on the bump stops, would you be able to at least slowly crawl out of your predicament and back to civilization to get a tow, or would your tires be so jammed up against the wheel wells that they would completely prevent you from moving, or steering? Because that would really suck. On the old Sport - and I don't believe the new one is much different in that respect - going with anything above 31.5" - 32" in overall diameter was a risky proposition without major modifications and / or lifts or spacers. Also think of where you'd store a spare tire that large (on the roof? In the cargo area?), as I don't believe you'd be able to jam a 33" tire inside the spare tire well, even a fully deflated one.
    Perhaps an even more daunting thought is what would the girlfriend do under said conditions when she asked what happened, and you explain "well you see, I thought the car would look cool with REALLY big tires, funny thing is....." I suppose thats enough to scare me away...

@t0pgear mate, what size tyres did you end up fitting?
    --
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
    Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now