**INFO** Valuable brake controller information - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: **INFO** Valuable brake controller information

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: **INFO** Valuable brake controller information

I really don't mind spending the $$ for added safety and efficiency but is it still necessary in 2017? My dealer seems confidant that it is not but I've learned to trust forum members more.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sushisean View Post
    There is only one way to make the towing settings work on the rover and when they do, it makes a big difference. The Rover detects a trailer is connected by detecting resistance caused by the trailer lights. Because all modern trailers have led lights, there isn't enough resistance to be detected. I literally tried every device out there to fix this problem including splicing in resistors in my trailer wiring. This is the only device that works: http://www.ledtowconnect.com/p/development-history.html

It enables the real tow menus that you guys want. Things that change once connected:
    Backup camera shows path of trailer AND rover
    Air suspension adjusts better
    Backup sensors are disabled
    Flashing trailer icon with turn signal
    Transmission shifts MUCH better (single largest improvement I'd say)

I spent hours and hours on fixing this so hopefully I can save you all some time. I've towed 15k+ miles with my 7500lb race trailer and it's a breeze.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Valuable brake controller information

Quote Originally Posted by ArkFortyCal View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you to 383Vett for providing the wiring diagram.

Picked up my RV yesterday and my Prodigy P2 did not work in my 2016 RRS (with the same plug used in my 2012 RRS). I moved the P2 from my old car to the new car and assumed it would work the same, nope! Land Rover has utilized the same plug (Ford) but has changed all the locations of the wires in the newer Range Rovers. LR dealer was unable to provide any info so a quick search here and I found 383vett's post and wiring diagram which saved the day. And if you weren't sure how to change the wires around in the plug he provided pictures of that as well

Shout out and thank you and another example of how this forum is great.

I know I'm brining back this old post but I also wanted to confirm to others this works on 2016 models.

Sorry to bring back an old thread. But wanted to ask a question about this comment.

Does that mean your 2012 rrs plugged into the 3035 Ford harness without the need to move any wires? You only had to move wires when using it in the newer rrs?

I have a 2012 rrs and just installed the Tekonsha p2. I used the 3035 Ford harness as it came (didn't move wires) . I believe it works as it turns on, I press the button on the right and number 6 comes up, if I press it again it goes 6/1, 6/2 and 6/3.

Then when I pull the trigger, it just says NC (no trailer hooked up yet)

I believe it's working correct? Plugged in properly?

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Valuable brake controller information

Took my new 28' Airstream out for it's 1st trip this weekend and had major issues with the Prodigy RF brake controller. Thankfully very helpful and nice full-timers in our two campgrounds were able to help us out - I bet they had a good laugh after we rolled out though.

1. Dealer installed the RF brake controller on the tongue of the trailer, and did the initial pairing to the RF handheld with a Ford pickup truck as they know that the Range Rover is not capable of pairing with the RF brake controller.
    2. After moving the RF handheld to the Range Rover, it worked well all the way down to the 1st campground, where we unhitched.
    3. On the day of departure on the 1st campground, we connected the RF handheld but got a flashing 'NC' which indicated that the handheld had amnesia.
    4. We found someone in the campground who had an older pickup truck, but it had an aftermarket 7-way so it was not capable of pairing. We found someone else with a newer truck where we successfully paired and we were on our way to the 2nd stop.
    5. Handheld had amnesia as we were leaving the 2nd stop, and I was able to borrow the helpful camphost's truck to pair the handheld again.

Seems like losing power on the brake controller causes things to unpair - anyone else observe this behavior? Our trailer is down in Ultimate Airstream in Portland for a month for some custom work, then off to get solar and lithium installed, so we have a month or so to figure things out... I'm thinking of switching to the wired P3, but not a fan of having the big unit drilled under the dash...

I also want to note that the Curt LED 7-way Adapter DOES NOT WORK, and even if it did, it is poorly constructed. As the 7-way entry point on the Airstream is a very tight fit, and the LED tail lights are a sealed unit, I'm having my solar/lithium installer do the resistor work for me.
    2017 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic, Firenze Red
    https://www.instagram.com/fablesandtrails/

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Hi Vett,

Is this the right connector?

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3035...d+3035+adaptor

Amazon asked me to input my vehicle info and said it was not the right connector.

Thank you.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; June 30th, 2018 at 12:44 AM.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Yes the 3035 is the right connector. Check Teknosha's site and you'll see it's compatible with the 2014 RRS.
    2017 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic, Firenze Red
    https://www.instagram.com/fablesandtrails/

FRESHMAN ROVER

The 3035 tekonsha connector for the Prodigy P3 on the 2017 RRS works correctly out of the box. Don't need to move the white and black wires.

Unfortunately, the LED trailer is not picked up by the car. I tried both the curt and etrailer brand LED adapter. Neither worked.

Does anyone know for a fact that the transmission / shifting program is controlled electronically via "knowing" that the trailer is connected?

FRESHMAN ROVER

I installed the 3035-P into my 2018 RR Sport TD6. The pinout locations on the harness in the truck are correct with the adapter harness. It installed and works perfectly.

just an FYI.

- Chris.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now