**INFO** Valuable brake controller information - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: **INFO** Valuable brake controller information

re: **INFO** Valuable brake controller information

Quote Originally Posted by gordonross View Post
    Just fitted my brake controller and the information listed here was invaluable. I routed the cable to the left side of the foot well near the OBD port there is hole in the panel that the cable can come through. I have not yet mounted the controller, was thinking industrial velcro as I do not want to put holes in the panel. Thank you so much for your help! It pays to search the forum
    Glad it helped. I used Velcro to hold up the controller also. Note to mods; might want to make this thread a sticky.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

I think I know my car but every now and then I get so confused by some of these things. I have dumb question. When I got the tow package installed they installed a harness in the back. I was told it controls the lights on the trailer if you hook it up. But they also told me the car controls the trailer when it starts to wiggle and that you don't need anything else to tow a trailer. I looked in the manual because a friend wants to borrow the truck to tow a UHaul and I don't want to chance stupid screw up. It seems to confirm what the dealer said I can just plug a trailer back there and tow. Are you saqying we need this brake controller to tow a trailer?
    2019 Mercedes Benz AMG-E63S
    2015.5 RRS Autobiography, deployable side steps

FRESHMAN ROVER

In Australia it is law that trailers weighing more than 750kilos up to the limit of 3500 kilos
    require brakes. In most cases they are electric brakes that require a brake controller to automatically apply the trailer brakes when you use the cars brakes. What you mention is the trailer stability control which if your trailer or caravan starts to sway the car can detect and control buy reducing speed etc. I am sure others can explain things better than me.
    Cheers

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SENIOR ROVER

Hmmm, seeing that we can tow 7700 lbs, it must mean our cars can control that with no brakes or dealer just forgot to warn me on that. But since the tow package doesn't come with a controller... it must mean we can probably do without? I will tow a small trailer at most. No intention of towing anything big.

I went and hooked up my RRS to my TT for the first time yesterday to head off for a camping weekend! I noticed that the trailer green light only comes on when I use the indicators and it flashes in snych. On my previous RR this light came on when I connected the trailer and stayed on all the time. Is this what others are seeing?

**INFO** Valuable brake controller information-image1.jpg
    2015 Range Rover Sport

Guess I should read the manual :-/

TRAILER TURN SIGNALS (GREEN)Illuminates as a bulb check, whenthe ignition is switched on andextinguishes when the engine isstarted.If a trailer is attached, the warning lamp willflash in conjunction with the turn signal warninglamp. If the lamp fails to flash, the turn signalindicator bulb on the trailer may be faulty.Note: If the attached and connected trailer isfitted with LED lights, the bulb check may notbe performed.
    2015 Range Rover Sport

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by vaserRRS View Post
    Hmmm, seeing that we can tow 7700 lbs, it must mean our cars can control that with no brakes or dealer just forgot to warn me on that. But since the tow package doesn't come with a controller... it must mean we can probably do without? I will tow a small trailer at most. No intention of towing anything big.
    I thought the cars came with a brake controller of some sorts?
    but it seems from this thread it does not?

SENIOR ROVER

I don't know since I have never towed a trailer. What my assumption is after reading this is that your car will only brake itself and not the trailer, unless you install a brake controller that operates brakes on the trailer. I could be wrong but plan to verify with LR what am supposed to do in the likely event I ever need to tow some heavy trailer. My hitch is mostly for bikes and maybe a small trailer

FRESHMAN ROVER

If you are just pulling an occasional trailer I don't think you need to worry about the brake controller. Many Uhaul trailers have hydraulic brakes that are actuated by the hitch connection. Call Uhaul and ask them what you need for the specific trailer you plan to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by vaserRRS View Post
    I don't know since I have never towed a trailer. What my assumption is after reading this is that your car will only brake itself and not the trailer, unless you install a brake controller that operates brakes on the trailer. I could be wrong but plan to verify with LR what am supposed to do in the likely event I ever need to tow some heavy trailer. My hitch is mostly for bikes and maybe a small trailer
    That is correct' vaser. With no brake controller, there will be no braking action to the trailer. This needs to be added. I think the max for trailering without trailer brakes is 1500lbs.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Just fitted my P3 brake controller plus an Anderson plug and battery isolator for charging an auxiliary battery in the caravan. Also wired in a heavier 12 volt supply to run the caravan fridge whilst on the move.
    TO make sure every thing works as it should with a trailer fitted with LED lights I also wired in an LED load module. This provides the correct load for the RRS to detect when the caravan/trailer is hitched up.
    Just a couple of photos with RHS rear panel removed.

**INFO** Valuable brake controller information-image.jpg**INFO** Valuable brake controller information-image.jpg

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Just fitted my P3 brake controller plus an Anderson plug and battery isolator for charging an auxiliary battery in the caravan. Also wired in a heavier 12 volt supply to run the caravan fridge whilst on the move.
    TO make sure every thing works as it should with a trailer fitted with LED lights I also wired in an LED load module. This provides the correct load for the RRS to detect when the caravan/trailer is hitched up.
    Just a couple of photos with RHS rear panel removed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	148274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	250.9 KB 
ID:	148282
    Would you share some details on the LED load module you used? My RRS doesn't detect my trailer at all. Park sensors stay active, tow assist doesn't work, etc. I tried some various German SUV trailer adaptors and none did the trick. Does your green trailer icon light up on the dash now with your LED trailer lights?

Quote Originally Posted by sushisean View Post
    Would you share some details on the LED load module you used? My RRS doesn't detect my trailer at all. Park sensors stay active, tow assist doesn't work, etc. I tried some various German SUV trailer adaptors and none did the trick. Does your green trailer icon light up on the dash now with your LED trailer lights?
    My Featherlite has all led lights and the stock Range Rover setup has no problems recognizing it or operating it. Are you sure you double checked the wiring as diagramed on the previous posts?

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Hey we've got the same trailer. My lights work fine, brake controller does it's job and trailer brakes work, but the green light on the dash doesn't light up and none of the advanced RR towing functions like disabling the park sensors or tow assist with the backing up lines works. Do those work for you?

I have dealer installed tow electronics, bar etc and a prodigy brake controller

**INFO** Valuable brake controller information-img_4817.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sushisean View Post
    Hey we've got the same trailer. My lights work fine, brake controller does it's job and trailer brakes work, but the green light on the dash doesn't light up and none of the advanced RR towing functions like disabling the park sensors or tow assist with the backing up lines works. Do those work for you?

I have dealer installed tow electronics, bar etc and a prodigy brake controller

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4817.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	152545
    Nice trailer! I have a Z06 (2016) also. Yours looks nice. I have a 2014 RRS and I don't know if that year has all the tow indicator stuff that you mentioned. I definitely have no tow icon on the dash but the RRS tows great and gets me to the track and stops when I get there. I also have the progeny brake controller.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now