AT&T 3G network sunset 2/22/22
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AT&T 3G network sunset 2/22/22

SOPHOMORE ROVER

AT&T 3G network sunset 2/22/22

I believe all pre 2018 vehicles have 3G wireless capabilities through AT&T while the 2018+ introduced 4G....When the sunset of AT&T's 3G network happens on Feb 22, 2022 what will JLR be doing prior to that to ensure we still have the technology capabilities that are built in to the vehicle. Is the radio module separate (I assume to accommodate each market and their spectrum / band) and can be swapped out or will the capabilities no longer exist in a few years?
    2017 Range Rover HSE TD6 Silver / Black
    2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
    1994 Land Rover Defender D130 HCPU

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

Re: AT&T 3G network sunset 2/22/22

note that those are paid-for features after the initial warranty runs out - if there's a breaking change with the infrastructure, they can simply stop selling/supporting them.
    2018 Range Rover SCV8
    2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic
    2017 Range Rover Evoque HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by totya View Post
    note that those are paid-for features after the initial warranty runs out - if there's a breaking change with the infrastructure, they can simply stop selling/supporting them.
    Audi had a similar issue a few years back with cars that had cellular radios installed with the bands for T-Mobile's network in the US, for use with the Audi Connect service and Google Earth navigation map overlays. When T-Mo "re-farmed" its spectrum and switched away from those bands, Audi initially swapped the cellular hardware for some people proactively, then eventually gave up and refused to do it even if people offered to pay for it. I'd expect the capabilities to go away or no longer be supported when AT&T flips the switch and shuts of the 3G network.
    2019 RRS SCV8 ATB L494, Indus Silver
    2017 Range Rover SCV8 L405, Scotia Gray (wife's car)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

BMW was also in a similar situation years ago when ATT turned off the 2G radios. If a customer had an active subscription, the BMW would retrofit a 3G radio, however, if the subscription was not active then BMW would not retrofit the vehicle. Meaning, if you tried to activate service AFTER the plan was announced by BMW they would not install the 3G radio.

The telephone module I believe is located either under the driver seat us under the rear driver side seat, hopefully you will be able to swap the new module and get 4G
    2017 RR HSE, SC V6

When I first bought my ‘18 Range Rover I wasted time trying to get AT&T to work, they said I was supposed to get an email which never came, to sign up. So I went to our local T-Mobile store, we have had accounts with them for years, installed a data only sim and it worked immediately, 4G !

Then an I bought the ‘19 F-Type, which came with the 3G AT&T, when the complimentary 3 months expired, I got a T-Mobile sim, swapped it out in the Car park outside the Store and Voila! Instant 4G. Both Cars load up almost immediately on start up every time.

If you’re going to make the change, here’s a couple of tips:

1. Keep the ignition turned OFF When removing the AT&T sim, take note of the orientation so you can install the new one the same way.
    2. Remove the old sim before breaking the new one out of the T-Mobile Card, overlay it to get the exact physical dimensions.

Turn on the ignition, that’s it!
    ‘18 Range Rover - Corris Grey/Black
    ’ 19 Jaguar F-Type Coupe - Fuji White / Red
    '16 Jaguar F-Type Roadster - Fuji White/Black
    ‘16 Range Rover Sport HST - Fuji Whie/Black (sold)
    2014.5 Range Rover Sport HSE - Fuji White / Almond & Espresso (sold)
    2013 GT Limited Edition - Fuji White/Black (sold)

Carpe Diem !

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I believe the 18+ are 4G radios and are GSM agnostic so AT&T or TMobile will work...I have heard some older vehicles will also accept a TMobile SIM but will still be 3G...
    2017 Range Rover HSE TD6 Silver / Black
    2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
    1994 Land Rover Defender D130 HCPU

Premium Member

correct, the '16s and the '17s have 3G modules
    2018 Range Rover SCV8
    2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic
    2017 Range Rover Evoque HSE

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now