Folding mirrors, diagnostic, engine rattle, service reset?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Folding mirrors, diagnostic, engine rattle, service reset?

ans
    FRESHMAN ROVER

Folding mirrors, diagnostic, engine rattle, service reset?

Hi, I just picked up used 2015 Range Rover V6 HSE with 55k and plan to do most of maintenance and repairs myself. I have experience with on my other car BMW X5 4.8 (valve cover gasket, belts, alternator, control arms, struts, coding, etc.), however, I am brand new to land rover vehicles, so any help/advise is very much appreciated.

Does anyone have experience with a couple of issues/questions below?

1) The side mirrors automatically fold when the car is locked. Is there a way to change this setting without a trip to the dealer?

2) What is a recommended diagnostic tool for maintenance (breaks, battery, oil and other fluids changes, etc.)? IID GAP ($500), ILAND ($359), or icarsoft v2 ($145). Which one of these is capable to change side mirror folding settings?

3) For oil changes, can the service interval be reset without a diagnostic tool? Is there a hidden service menu in L405 like in X5?

4) Finally, I have been hearing a brief engine noise/rattle for about 1 sec upon initial acceleration/pressing throttle which is completely gone when the vehicle is in motion. The idling is very smooth, however, when revving the engine while the vehicle is in park I think I can hear the same very brief noise/rattle for a fraction of a second at 3000 rpm.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Re: Folding mirrors, diagnostic, engine rattle, service rese

IId gap is great for resetting the service light. It’s great for hacking the ride height, but unless you know how to hack ccf files then it doesn’t do anything else. I’d research the other tools before iid. IID is a gimmick not worth the price.
    2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
    2013 Range Rover Fuji White Full Size Mark L405 HSE Vision Pack w/ all LWB & AutoB trim!

ans
    FRESHMAN ROVER

What about ECU software updates? Can IID Gap do that? According to my local dealer, the most frequent problem with L405 is related to software and that periodic updates more often than not solve most problems. They also mentioned that water pump is a weak spot for both V6 and V8.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by ans View Post
    3) For oil changes, can the service interval be reset without a diagnostic tool? Is there a hidden service menu in L405 like in X5?
    To reset it - try this :

§Turn the ignition key to position “ON” without starting the engine, If your Range Rover has push-button start, press the “Start” button without touching the brake pedal.
    §Open the hood and the drivers door
    §Hold the accelerator and brake pedals all the way down for 10 seconds
    §SERVICE RESETTING will display in the dash
    §Turn off your car and start the engine to see if warning went away.
    2016 Range Rover TD6 White with Black Package.
    You don't need to dream when you know you can fly..

ans
    FRESHMAN ROVER
    Fixed the rattle today. Put the car on the ramps, took off both metal shields and with the rubber mullet went all the way from engine to the the exhaust. When I mildly hammering pretty much anywhere on the exhaust assembly I would hear the same annoying rattle. Didn’t see any loose shield pieces, however, as I kept poking around found that one side of the bracket that goes under transmission oil pan was broken. Took off the tranny oil pan shield that is attached to this bracket. No idea how the metal piece of the bracket got snapped (May be the failed shaft had knocked it pretty hard; the shaft did look very new for 4 year old vehicle...will ask the dealer where the car had been serviced). Anyway, once fixed this bracket “Indy” style and put everything back together, the engine rattle on initial acceleration was gone!
    While underneath, inspected the front suspension as well which is very similar to X5. At 55k, both tension struts are shot and a boot on driver’s lower control arm torn and leaking. Are tension struts a weak spot on L405?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now