Range Rovers Forum banner

L405 gearbox slipping in reverse

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Aldogt3 
#1 ·
I have a problem with gearbox slipping in reverse, but only in the morning when the car is cold.
I attach the YouTube video. The car is l405 2017, 4,4 sdv8
The service make numerous diagnostic but didn't done anything. Any suggestion?
https://youtu.be/FYcNUgc596s

#2 ·
You cannot just push start and jump into gear without letting the vehicle boot up. The Dash lights are not even fully loaded and you are putting it in gear trying to move. Let it boot for 30 seconds and then try it by then the fluids and solenoids should have time to regulate themselves.

#5 ·
No I am not saying it is normal. Does it happen all the time? If you wait a bit like I suggested does it react differently?
My guess is one of the solenoids are weakening. any codes?

My suggestion about waiting for everything to boot up is really critical with this vehicle, I know if I go to take off forward too soon the transmission is slow to react it almost feels like it slipping, Not as bad as your video but hastening the takeoff like you did will only exaggerate the symptoms. Remember that when the transmission is cold the fluid is thicker so a bit of warm up before use is always a good thing it gives time for everything to flow.

try it under different situations and see how it reacts, that could help with pointing you in the right direction.

#6 ·
could not add to latest post... time expired.

You mentioned it only happens in the morning this could be the cold causing the fluid to thicken or it could just be coincidence could be the amount of time that the vehicle is sitting causing the fluid to settle or the solenoids to leak down. My guess is if you give it some time to warm up all will be fine.

Did you change the fluid lately? have you checked the fluid level? changing old fluid can cause clutch slippage. If the clutch pack was worn new fluid will be thinning and have less gunk for the clutches to grab onto.

#7 ·
Aldog T3 take a chill pill , especially with a cold vehicle. Give the systems a chance to boot up register with each other. your 9 second joke of a video shows absolutely nothing. If you don't let fluids have time to come up to operating pressure i.e. brakes, engine and transmission your rig will have all sorts of reliability issues.

#11 · (Edited)
so you don't even change your oil? 15K miles is only recommended for the new fancy PETROL engines. Most responsible PETROL owners change at 7500 mile to ensure a long life for their engine. An oil and wax burner like you have will not stand up to the poor maintenance you are giving it.

#10 ·
Jesus yeah.. your shenanigans every morning have taken their toll on that poor transmission.

You should always let a car sit for at least 15-30 seconds before moving, you've probably damaged the reverse clutch pack.

#13 ·
I always try to wait. But I’ve been guilty of rushing and going quickly into gear. I haven’t noticed this slipping ever. I do not think it’s normal.
Does it do this in the morning on cold starts if you wait a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.