2014 LWB NOISE FRONT FRONT LEFT SUSPENSION
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2014 LWB NOISE FRONT FRONT LEFT SUSPENSION

FRESHMAN ROVER

2014 LWB NOISE FRONT FRONT LEFT SUSPENSION

Hello

I have a LWB 2014 RR. Recently I hit a pothole on highway earlie not sure if its related or not.

Now when I pulled into a parking lot turning the wheel and the truck height adjusts up a a little I heard a groaning/whining noise coming front left side of driver suspension. So I did some more investigation and noticed when I raise the truck or lower it, front left makes a groaning noise.

Could this be the shock?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2014 LWB NOISE FRONT FRONT LEFT SUSPENSION

Also does the LWB have a different strut than the normal L405 ?

FRESHMAN ROVER
    The noise was gone after the truck sat a few hours. After a short ride it came back. By the time I got home from work the right side is now creaking and groaning (old door creaking open) over small dips/bumps. The driver side strut making the same creaking when going into low or 4x4 mode but no creaking or groaning over bumps or dips when driving. No lights but after moving it up and down a lot checking each side for noises it said “suspension need to cool before use or something”.

I just bought the truck have put only 1k miles. I purchase a good warranty but I will wait A couple thousand more miles before I use it.

I used to have a 14 l405 autobiography Swb and the front end made all sorts of noises while driving. It sounded like a old school bus over bad roads. It drove really bad and was all over the road. After new upper and lower control arms it was much better but Nowhere near the comfort and level this lwb l405 was. I noticed today after all these issues the school bus type noise is also starting. Prior to that pothole the truck was whisper quiet and no issues going up and down.

I have made videos and trying to upload

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

FRESHMAN ROVER

I am not sure how to make the videos appear on the page ?

Today the noise is not there. It had also rained.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I had a similar issue with my previous Audi A6 and A8 - creaking and groaning over bumps, especially speed bumps, and more noticeable in cold weather than warmer weather. The issue there was the sway bar end links. Not sure if the L405 suspension has a similar set-up, but end links and control arms are the likely culprit, assuming the strut is OK.
    2019 RRS SCV8 ATB L494, Indus Silver
    2017 Range Rover SCV8 L405, Scotia Gray (wife's car)

FRESHMAN ROVER
    My guess is the sway bar bushings too.

So I got a full car wash done Sunday and the noise was still present.

Mysteriously the noise left Monday and just came back tonight. The last few days we had heavy rain. I also did an oil change yesterday and looked under the truck didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.

The noise is never there after the truck sits cold. Sometimes it comes back after being driven 30 min sometimes a few days after. Noise happens on small bumps and dips and when turning the steering wheel, also when changing heights.

Does anyone know how hard is it to change out the bushings ? I might lube them up to see if the noise goes away.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Moving the steering wheel I think puts load on the sway bar and bushings right ?

Also adjusting the height.

I can also make the noise replicate by braking in the garage and the truck move up and down.

FRESHMAN ROVER
    It’s your sway bar bushings. I have 2014 AB and 2014 LWB SC. Both have had this repair. Need to replace them about every 50-60,000 miles in my experience. Design flaw by LR. Get used to it!

FRESHMAN ROVER
    Thanks for the reply. You are right on.

What’s funny is that if I get a undercarriage full car wash the noise is absent for a week and then it starts again.

The issue is not that annoying anymore as I think it’s become white noise for me. When time allows I’ll bring it in to have it changed out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now