Looking at 2014 high mile L405
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net Ė General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking at 2014 high mile L405

FRESHMAN ROVER

Looking at 2014 high mile L405

Hey fellas, looking for some guidance here from some of the veterans of the L405. I tried to do a search first, but couldnít find a whole lot. Looking at a 2014 SCV8 w/99k miles on it. Thatís like 20k miles/year, which is high. Drove it around the block for just a few minutes earlier today. Didnít blow any smoke, and seemed to pull very strong, very solid. It was clean, and everything seemed to work. What all do I need to look for/ look at on something like this? Theyíre asking $38k, but have had it for a few months, so I think thatís even negotiable. Apparently owner has been driving it... canít blame him really. Timing chain? Thanks in advance, and Iíll post a pic when Iím back to a regular computer. Rick

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Looking at 2014 high mile L405

Iíve owned and driven a few L405ís from 0 miles up to 75k since 2013, and they are pretty solid overall. Right now Iím driving a 2014 with 65k miles that I picked up with 30k miles. Iíve never had any kind of catastrophic issue. I do most of my own maintenance and itís the brake rotors and pads that I tend to change most frequently (after tires and fluids/filters). I donít know what the service manual says must be done at 75 or 100k intervals, but thatís where I would start. Find out what those are, and whether that work has been done or not. Does owner have any maintenance records or receipts. Have plugs, rotors, fluids, been changed on a regular basis? With used cars, remember that you are buying the previous owner and their behavior - often more than just buying the car. Iíd not pay more than 35k for it with that many miles, especially if the service history is minimal. There are many out there for sale nationwide so donít settle.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Thanks riozilla... funny, I just did a nationwide search, rather than closer to home, and found a year newer, with 25k miles less, ha. And while I'm still interested in this white one, the one I just found is black/black and looks like it has even more content, including TV's in the back. And I'm just not that good at "beating up" salesmen anymore... wish me luck.
    Last edited by RRToadHall; May 5th, 2019 at 09:02 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

I wouldn't worry about high mileage the timing chain issue no longer exists due to the upgraded parts and even on the old models I have seen several at 170k-180k on original.

I was looking for a long time at more l405 and the sports to replace my evoque. I found a nice lwb with many options had less mileage than 100k but I still got a full 4 year 48k warranty that cost me almost 8k but its worth it for peace of mind IMO.

timing issues are here to stay

they'll always be here

Do your 5k-7500 mile oil changes and they'll be differed as long as possible.

My 2014 RRS 5.0 is showing signs of bad tensioners at 60k miles.
    I'm the guy that buys a chicken salad to only eat the chicken
    2017 Range Rover HSE
    2014 Range Rover Sport Dynamic

FRESHMAN ROVER

I have 110K on mine with minimal issues. $38K is high for that mileage though.
    2014 RR SC Fuji White / Tan

I’ve seen plenty of nice SC with around 55k in your price range. Should be able to find one with lower miles.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now