Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's - Page 6
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's

Re: Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's

Quote Originally Posted by stemikel View Post
    Have you tried to disconnect the battery and do a hard reset? Are you able to read codes?
    Yes, I've already tried disconnecting the battery. I don't have a code reader but I was able to get it to the dealer today and they did a 1 hour diagnostic at no charge. They said that they would need the vehicle for 4-5 more hours to check all the modules/computers that are not responding...$190 per hour for diagnostic. They did however replace 1 fuse to the CAN_MS-FCDIM. However, the SUB_MOST has 4 modules/computers that are not communicating...AAM, ACM, REM and SRM...The service manager said that it could be one or more of them that's causing the issue. I'm not sure what else to do at this point besides schedule another appointment with the dealer to have to figure it out...or maybe someone on the forum can point me in the right direction to fix the problem on my own...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ray

Current:
    2013 Range Rover L405 HSE(Fuji White with Almond Interior)

Previous:
    2010 Range Rover L322 HSE(Alaska White with Jet Interior)
    2005 Range Rover L322 HSE LUX(Zambezi Silver with Charcoal Interior)
    2005 Range Rover L322 HSE(Zambezi Silver with Charcoal Interior)
    2004 Range Rover L322 HSE(Adriatic Blue with Sand Interior)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Hey Brother,

call Freddy. 310-912-4591 Umbertob the famous moderator on here uses him, so do I. You will have to call and drive to LA but I can guarantee you that you won’t be paying 800-1000 like at the dealer. If saving 6-800 bucks is worth a 1.5 hour drive toLA I would do it. Freddy has done so much for my rig even teaching me how to do oil changes. Freddy has time on the weekends, and sometimes in the evenings. Freddy has the dealer diagnostic module iPad lap top thingy too.

Also so once you identify the problem The Rover spot close to Burbank will have the parts super cheap 8185042822

so dealer 1,000 or Freddy 1-300 bucks plus cheap parts. But you gotta drive.

Note of warning: Freddy has an accent but speaks English but he can’t help you over the phone so if you try to go into detail over the phone expect to be frustrated, plus it isn’t fair to any indy tech to try to get free service out of them on the phone. Explain the below paragraph you need him to diagnose in person and help you fix the short or blown part.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by W84IT View Post
    Yes, I've already tried disconnecting the battery. I don't have a code reader but I was able to get it to the dealer today and they did a 1 hour diagnostic at no charge. They said that they would need the vehicle for 4-5 more hours to check all the modules/computers that are not responding...$190 per hour for diagnostic. They did however replace 1 fuse to the CAN_MS-FCDIM. However, the SUB_MOST has 4 modules/computers that are not communicating...AAM, ACM, REM and SRM...The service manager said that it could be one or more of them that's causing the issue. I'm not sure what else to do at this point besides schedule another appointment with the dealer to have to figure it out...or maybe someone on the forum can point me in the right direction to fix the problem on my own...
    2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
    2013 Range Rover Fuji White Full Size Mark L405 HSE Vision Pack w/ all LWB & AutoB trim!

SOPHOMORE ROVER

One more thing, when my battery loses a charge I get lots of communication lost errors. Even a fully charged but old battery wreaks havoc on our electronics. A new battery can help too. FYI.
    2013 Range Rover Fuji White Full Size Mark L405 HSE Vision Pack w/ all LWB & AutoB trim!

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

So the fuse was out on the FCDIM, that would be the issuse I guess.

Are you now rocking your orginal infotainment brain or have you got the second hand one in you bought from Ebay ?

I assume you know what all those modules are but to save anyone searching here is the list

Audio Amplifier Module (AAM)
    Audio Control Module (ACM)
    Front Control Display Interface Module (FCDIM)
    Rear Entertainment Control Module (REM)
    Satellite Radio Module (SRM)

I would assume they are all complaining as they reply in the FCDIM being working but after they changed the Fuse is it still not working ? Does it power up now, the hard drive should spin and you should be able to pop the CD if it's powering up

Si

Quote Originally Posted by mark1107 View Post
    One more thing, when my battery loses a charge I get lots of communication lost errors. Even a fully charged but old battery wreaks havoc on our electronics. A new battery can help too. FYI.
    Thanks for the advice...and I will be calling Freddy soon or maybe taking a drive out there. As far as the battery goes, I just put a brand new Interstate battery in a little over a month ago. The dealer also checked the battery yesterday and said that it was good. That's one of the first thing they check when they're dealing with something of this nature.
    Ray

Current:

Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by BigladUK View Post
    So the fuse was out on the FCDIM, that would be the issuse I guess.

Are you now rocking your orginal infotainment brain or have you got the second hand one in you bought from Ebay ?

I assume you know what all those modules are but to save anyone searching here is the list

Audio Amplifier Module (AAM)
    Audio Control Module (ACM)
    Front Control Display Interface Module (FCDIM)
    Rear Entertainment Control Module (REM)
    Satellite Radio Module (SRM)

I would assume they are all complaining as they reply in the FCDIM being working but after they changed the Fuse is it still not working ? Does it power up now, the hard drive should spin and you should be able to pop the CD if it's powering up

Si
    I was just reading the tech notes that they gave me yesterday. I stand corrected on the fuse replacment. It looks like they just replaced the fuse for the diagnostic port. The other 5 modules that they listed are not communicating at all...that includes the FCDIM. I also reinstalled my original DVD/SataNav unit. The tech at the dealer said that the one I got from ebay would need to be coded or programmed to work in my vehicle anyway. He also said that it could be just one of those modules that's causing the communication problem for all the rest because they are all linked. However, they would have to remove the dash completely to find them all and test each one. I'm now wondering if there could just be another fuse blown somewhere in the system. Anyway, I'm very determined at this point to get it fixed because I can't stand looking at that old screen anymore after having this new android screen installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's-img_6912.jpg  
    Ray

Current:

Previous:

The 5 modules that are marked with an X are not communicating...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's-img_6914.jpg  
    Ray

Current:

Previous:

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Also another cheaper option is to go to the rover spot in sun valley they could tell you what part has failed and sell it to you used on the spot and diagnose it for free. Plus they have the test book laptop dealer thing. That might be your cheapest option. Also if you’re coming up call Freddy too and you can come over and use my driveway for Freddy to work on it since I live in Rancho Palos Verdes and Freddy is in Torrance and I’m on the ocean. If Freddy says it won’t hurt my parts we can swap parts, and he can program your CD player too. Send me a pm and I will give you my address and number. I’m around all weekend too and Rover spot is open Saturday 8-1pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1107 View Post
    Also another cheaper option is to go to the rover spot in sun valley they could tell you what part has failed and sell it to you used on the spot and diagnose it for free. Plus they have the test book laptop dealer thing. That might be your cheapest option. Also if you’re coming up call Freddy too and you can come over and use my driveway for Freddy to work on it since I live in Rancho Palos Verdes and Freddy is in Torrance and I’m on the ocean. If Freddy says it won’t hurt my parts we can swap parts, and he can program your CD player too. Send me a pm and I will give you my address and number. I’m around all weekend too and Rover spot is open Saturday 8-1pm.
    Thanks Mark, I really appreciate that and I'm really tempted to take you up on that offer this weekend. I will send you a PM with my number.
    Ray

Current:

Previous:

Ok,

So this afternoon UK time I did my install

Just a brief write up of that process ( although it’s covered in the 2 YouTube videos already posted )

All trim panels came away easily and all screws were the same type. The only tricky thing I found was the removing the large grey connector into the dvd drive unit, I actually had to remove all the other connectors to pull the unit right out so I could to it better to remove it.

Moving the 2 internal boards from the original head unit to the new android one was easy except for the ribbon cable which needs to bend and I’m not convinced the first time we didn’t damage it with the bend, any how we proceeded

Plugging in the harness supplied raised questions
    1) the orange single strand cable that goes to the button pack has a break in it with a male and female connectors but supplied these aren’t attached to each other. Should the be ? I connected them together
    2) there is only one pass through from the button packs , after watching the video the Chinese put this in the left pack and reattach the right pack to the original wiring, is this right ?
    3)what’s the separate black fibre to blue fibre/Yellow Video for ?
    4)what’s the purple cable with a 2 strand black end for ? It’s got a Chinese label on it
    5) why does the wiring harness have maybe 6 wires with labels but no ends...are they unrequired ? Do they need terminating somewhere ?

I’ve attached a picture of the wiring harness and the extra wire

My install number 1 seemed to go fine ( apart from my having the screen upside down ), I could hear the radio but when I went to the original car menu I had a scream of coloured lines coming down the screen which I’ve seen before on laptops with broken screens or cables so I assumed my issue was the bent ribbon cable

So we redid the boards in the new head unit trying to get the ribbon cable better then reinstalled the correct way up. Unfortunately this time we had the dreaded no signal and nothing worked in the car, no steering wheel buttons , no eject on the nav so I assumed I was in the same boat as Ray. This didn’t make me happy

So I put it all back to where is was ( tbf install is easy if you take your time ) as I have LR warranty and I’d just take it in and play dumb but when it was all back in everything was back to normal

So, what has gone wrong and why doesn’t it work ?

If I can get answers to the questions above I might be able to figure it out or it could be the ribbon cable in the screen ( although I don’t think so)

I’m going to give it another go tomorrow

Si
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's-e5d6b7e2-b93f-43f7-b6d7-83ebc2411b1d_1558887673893.jpg  

Oh I should add I’ve a 2014 AB with the dual view

Si

BigladUK, I've been waiting patiently for you to post your install results and I was hoping for some good news. One thing that I see that we both did was disconnect ALL the plugs on the CD/DVD SatNav unit...I think that might be where the problem started. I remember before I did that, my new android screen was actually working fine. I also tried reinstalling all of my old equipment but the problems still exist. I honestly feel like the android screen is fine because I saw it working just fine before I started messing around with all the plugs on the DVD SatNav unit. The DVD that I had in the DVD/SatNav unit was even playing on the new Android screen before I started unplugging things. There's just something going on with a few of the ECU's in my vehicle that's causing problems now. I'm thinking that maybe the battery should be disconnected if you plan to unplug all the connections to the DVD SatNav unit. My L405 is out of warranty so I decided to put the android screen back in so that the next time I go to have it diagnosed, maybe they will be able to tell me if the new android screen had ANYTHING to do with the problem. I'm very determined to make this new android screen work. Hopefully my experience will help others that are looking to upgrade the infotainment screens in their 2013-2016 L405's.
    Ray

Current:

Previous:

Quote Originally Posted by BigladUK View Post
    Ok,

Plugging in the harness supplied raised questions
    1) the orange single strand cable that goes to the button pack has a break in it with a male and female connectors but supplied these aren’t attached to each other. Should the be ? I connected them together
    2) there is only one pass through from the button packs , after watching the video the Chinese put this in the left pack and reattach the right pack to the original wiring, is this right ?
    3)what’s the separate black fibre to blue fibre/Yellow Video for ?
    4)what’s the purple cable with a 2 strand black end for ? It’s got a Chinese label on it
    5) why does the wiring harness have maybe 6 wires with labels but no ends...are they unrequired ? Do they need terminating somewhere ?

Si
    1) I connected that cable because I noticed it was connected in the their youtube video...not sure if that was the right thing to do though.

2) Yes, there was only one connection harness for the left button pack...the right side just plugs back into original pack.

3) Andy told me that this cable was not needed for my vehicle.

4) I think that's the cable that I plugged the supplied speaker into.

5) I'm not sure about these wires but I assumed they were not needed because they are all capped off.

I've also suggested to the seller/Andy that they should provide a clear instruction manual for the English reading customers. Although this new android screen is a nice upgrade, it may not be worth the trouble for most people and the seller will loose out on sales if that's the case.
    Ray

Current:

Previous:

On both our first and second installs we removed all the cables from the DVD drive so I don't think that's the problem.

Thanks for the answers to the questions, we are going to try again in the morning and hopefully have more luck ( although it working one time - Radio playing - then not working the next time doesn't make a lot of sense )

I like you am determined to get this working so will keep trying

I will report back

Si

OK,

So I didn't want to give up so I've just been back out and this time just left everything hanging out ( plus plugged in the right hand switch pack rather than the left )

This time was exactley the same as the first time so my audio worked ( Radio ) but I had the flickering screen although if I clicked where I knew the Home button was it then took me back to the Android home screen so now I'm totally convinced the problem is the video feed from the internal boards to the Android screen.

Had about an hour playing with everything else and was very impressed at the speed, brightness and quality of it all

Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's-img_1190.jpgAlternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's-img_1191.jpg

I have more questions though which you might have encountered

1) I've been unable to get GPS signal even running the GPS antenna outside, have you gotten one ?
    2) My carplay won't work, when I first plugged in the autokit USB adapter the android app popped up and said the versions don't match ( or something like that ) so I updated the android app which caused an error saying this isn't authorized by the vendor so I updated that's firmware and the same issue continues, did you have a problem ?
    Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's-img_1193.jpg

So tomorrow I'll be taking the headunit apart again and using the ribbon cable from the original unit which I hope will solve my video issue

I'll report back

Si

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now