Range Rovers Forum banner

Alternate Replacement Head Units for older L405's

57K views 153 replies 27 participants last post by  gsxr_fvr 
#1 ·
Having owned my AB for a few months now i'm starting to look at options to at least get better Nav on the main screen and better music integration/control and I've come across this

https://youtu.be/ZZS4wiJdBgY

https://4x4shop.ca/product/vogue-land-rove...n-android/

I know it's a lot of money but if it does what it suggests it does I think it is worth it.

This appears to the only other solution ( other than the NavPlus option ) that I can find

Like the idea of an OEM looking 10" screen with proper functionality

Si

#2 ·
Re: Apple CarPlay for older 405's

Interesting...please keep us updated and let us know how well it works if you decide to get this screen. I wonder if it's all plug and play. It would be nice to update the screen in my 2013 L405 and have Apple CarPlay but for $1,550 it would need to work just as good as my existing screen if not better.

#6 ·

So i've had an exchange of emails with the manufacturer and wanted to share what I've learnt thus far

The kit you buy seenms to be a 10.25" screen that has Android built in that. This screen has the same back enclosure as the Standard Equipment and the way you keep all the original functions to is remove the 2 internal boards from your Headunit and put them inside this new screen ( headunit )

This seems a simple job TBF as shown in this video

https://youtu.be/JpamFhCet60

The kit then has a wiring harness ( to make it Plug & Plug ) with the addition of a Mic ( I assume to allow you talk to the Android OS Apps ) , GPS Receiver ( I assume so the Andriod OS APPS can use GPS ) and a GPS Speaker ( which I'm told is for the GPS Audio but I don't understand why this won't come out through the speakers )

See the pics for the kit

Product Technology Electronic device Electronics Multimedia

Electronics Product Technology Electronic device Machine

Electronics Technology Electronic device

Electronics Product Technology Electronic device Wire

Electronics Product Technology Electronic device Wire

Wire Cable Electronic device Technology Electronics

So, install seems very simple and totally stock ( except a MIC )

Obvisouly this kit doesn't offer CarPlay out of the box but as it's an Android Headunit adding this dongle seems to adds that functionalty

https://www.redmondpie.com/apple-carplay-u...r-any-car/

These are the questions I've asked along with the asnswers I received

Q Do all original functions still work like Climate Seat control, Massage seat control, Ambient Lighting control, Surround Cameras etc ?
A YES

Q Does the OEM voice control button work with Siri in Apple Car Play mode?
A NO

Q Why does the his new unit need GPS Anntena, GPS Speaker, External Mic as all these things should be passed to the headunit from the OEM cabling ?

A Because this android head unit system is independent from the original multimedia. And the original multimedia's functions will remain

Q Does the original OEM Nav still function ?

A The OEM Navi will work as usual.

Q Also, does this support Apple CarPlay via the OEM armest mounted USB port ?

A I don't think it support Apple CarPlay via the OEM Armrest Mounted USB.
It supports aftermarket CarPlay Dongle. Its price is US$60.

Q I’ve looked at your advert and I don’t see where a USB port is, I see a wiring harness, I see a GPS receiver, I see a MIC and I see a GPS Speaker ( but sure what this is for ? ) but no USB port

A check attached please.
It has 2 USB ports.

Q There is no Microphone is that kit, is one not required ?

A The mic will be included

Q What is the purpose of the GPS Speaker ?

A The GPS speaker will be used for navi voice.

Q I’m right in saying that the 2 black panels either side of the existing display that had soft buttons are replaced with virtual buttons on the new 10.25” display ?

Luxury vehicle Mid-size car Vehicle Car Technology

A yes the screen will be replaced with 10.25" full touch screen.

Q Does the audio that comes out of the Android system ( for example if you’ve installed the App Spotify ) come out of the car audio or the GPS speaker ? Why is there a speaker just for the GPS audio ?

A Because the connection will be via AUX.So the speaker is just for navi voice.

Q Do all the steering wheel controls work when using the android system or if the carplay dongle is attached and car play is active can a phone call be accepted and cancelled using the steering wheel controls ?

A Yes

Attachments

#7 ·

Just for clarity, this post above should have been posted a week ago but as I'm a new memeber it got lost in the spam capture jobby

Yes I've ordered this kit along with the USB CarPlay & AndroidAuto Adaptor my title is valid

The kit should take a few weeks to arrive but I'll post back

Si

#8 ·

Please message me as soon as you have this all working and can do a video demo! I am very interested in this route for my 2015. I am interested this running in carplay only and also curious how this would affect the SAT radio that the current setup provides.

#115 ·

Please message me as soon as you have this all working and can do a video demo! I am very interested in this route for my 2015. I am interested this running in carplay only and also curious how this would affect the SAT radio that the current setup provides.
CarPlay is confirmed...it's just an adapter that plugs into the USB from the android unit. Your radio functions also stay the same. I'll try to do a video soon.

Attachments

#10 ·

I'm mostly interested in the Apple CarPlay but it seems like this unit is not exactly set up for that. Also, I would want to use the existing USB in the center console to connect the iPhone for CarPlay...wireless CarPlay would be even better. I wonder if the 2017 screen would work in the 2013-2016 L405's...

#11 ·

you could wire up the armest USB port to the USB port from the CarPlay adapter

I have wireless carplay in my BMW and it's deffo the best solution but everything i've read seems to suguest it's not possible :-(

I'll ask the supplier his thoughts

Si

#14 ·

you could wire up the armest USB port to the USB port from the CarPlay adapter

I have wireless carplay in my BMW and it's deffo the best solution but everything i've read seems to suguest it's not possible :-(

I'll ask the supplier his thoughts

Si
I don't like the idea of having to access the glove compartment for the USB CarPlay adapter. It would have been much nicer if they would have made it plug and play for the center console armrest USB port as well. Overall, this unit seems to have good potential. Keep us updated!

#13 ·
Looks intriguing. I would love to see google maps with traffic on it come up. I might get one then.

#15 ·
I guess you could workout the cabling for the armrest and move those pins over to use the usb in the armrest but I think they are trying to leave you with everything that you have now still fully functioning and if they took away the usb you couldn’t update the maps, plug in an iPod etc, I admit the features are limited when the screen upgrade has been done but I think that’s there plan

As for CarPlay in the glove box, the module that plugs in to the usb isn’t very small so might not be a great fit in the armrest and I know from my own experience of using CarPlay in my 7 series 4 hours a day for the past 18months, then I get in the car my phone is out away in the charging cradle in the armrest so I’d be ok with putting in the glovebox. Apple CarPlay isn’t really geared up for you trying to use your actual phone when car play is being used

Those are just my opinions btw

Si

#20 ·
Oh sorry misread your message

Yeah I also emailed them, they replied asking for details of my car and pictures but that was the last I heard

I then went direct the makers

http://www.canaviet.com/

Si
I just watched that video but couldn't understand a word they were saying. However, it appears that this unit does do screen mirroring which is a good feature as well.

#23 ·
BigladUK, it seems that there are different companies making these screens. That actually makes me a little concerned about the quality of the parts used. The screen in the video with the install in the L405 appears to have metal around the face of the screen. However, I've emailed Shenzhen Canavie and they sent me photos of a screen that appears to have plastic around the face of the screen. I also noticed that the price on the website in Canada is $1550 but the Shenzhen Canavie price is only $999...that's quoted from an email they sent me. I'm going to continue researching this before I make a purchase.

#24 ·
I’m not sure if there are different manufacturers / suppliers either, the only reason I won’t have thought there were is it doesn’t seem a massive market so why would there be so many people making them

I guess when my kit arrives we’ll know exactly what this kits has and what it looks like

The mental frame shown on the video must be included in the kit ( the kit pictures I’ve received also don’t show the plastic frame that needs to be changed but I’m assured this is in the kit )

Si

#26 ·
Yes, I was thinking those must be the stock images as well but I asked them (Shenzhen Canavie) to send me photos of the exact parts that I would be getting for the L405 Range Rover...it seems like the photos they sent might be for the Evoque or something else. I just want to be sure what I'm getting before I commit to anything because I don't want to deal with the trouble of returning it if something is not right.

#29 ·
W84IT

Has your unit shipped yet ? Mine was supposed to have shipped on Friday but today I was told it's delayed

This is what I was told

I was about to tell that there was some some changes with range rover series.
The factory told us last weekend.
So the shipping is a little delayed.

and when asked what updates I was told

it is the boards upgrading.
functions will not be changed
and the system will perform better.

it's a lottery as I've really no clue what the system specs will be or that the package will contain

Si

#30 ·
BigladUK,

I just received an email today that my order is being processed. I emailed them back and asked if they could include the Apple CarPlay dongle for free and they countered with $40 for the CarPlay dongle so I accepted. I agree that it's a lottery but I really like the 10.25" infotainment screen in the 2017 L405's and this is the best option that I've found available for my 2013 L405. I will be satisfied as long as this new system performs a little better than the factory system.

#33 ·
If you watch to the end of the video, you will see that they either ordered the wrong kit or they were sent the wrong kit by the supplier...that kit was for the L494. I think you have to be very specific on which Range Rover and what year build you have when you order from them. I also sent them photos of my screen with and without the trim panel on.

#34 ·
Yeap watched it all through, TBF if they had watched any of the install videos I've found they would have a done a much better job but didn't do too bad for "winging it"

I noticed the unit they bought was from MerryWay which was also mentioned on the last chinese installl video I mention, I wonder if Merryway are the manufactorer and the poeple we have bought from are a reseller.

Yeah getting the right model is important, also, i was asked if I had dual view or not but this video shows this is a setting on the dipswtiches......

So many questions, shame we don't have all the answers

Si

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.