Range Rovers Forum banner

Apple CarPlay & MY19

47K views 162 replies 46 participants last post by  RRToadHall 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I dropped by a dealer for a test drive and got some updates on CarPlay that I thought of sharing with this super helpful community.

According to the dealer, the update is coming anytime now. MY19s build sheet (I haven't seen yet - I will reconfirm in few days) now do have an option for adding CarPlay (~$300).

The dealer was positive that it can be retrofitted into MY18's with an optional module. For MY19's, according to the dealer, the hardware should already be there in the cars and will be a matter of OTA update.

Short version: There's hope but the wait is not over yet.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I can't wait....

#4 ·
@jmod77 - I talked to the dealer today and the dealer was pretty non-committal on CarPlay. He maintains CarPlay can be retrofitted to earlier vehicles including MY17 however when I placed my order for MY19, nothing showed up on build sheet, so it's back to square one.

#5 ·
@ByronBlue, well thank you for the update. A MY19 will be the most likely candidate for an easy retrofit. You can keep checking to add it until your cut off spec date. I imagine it is more of a LR / Apple contract negotiation issue rather than a software issue, fingers crossed.

#8 ·
It looks like the 18C update to ICTP will enable AirPlay and Android Auto. I have the Phse 4 software running version 18B at the moment. Phase 4 has the over-the-air “check for update” feature. As of this morning, i did not see an update when I checked.

As 2017 on vehicles run the same ICTP software, I would imagine the features will apply to 2017 and on vehicles.

#12 · (Edited)
#25 ·
My dealer said the CarPlay release was incompatible with iOS 12 and that I need to return soon for the update.

#30 ·
Yes, my dealer just told me the same thing... $300 for CarPlay and $300 for Android. Seems like it's just a "software license" and not physical hardware changes. My build is already locked as of Sept 26, they are finding out if they can add it at a factory or port.

#36 ·
Thanks Mavro for the update. I'm also past the lock date for my car and would love to know what you find out. I'll also share if I hear anything from my dealer.

Now that Land Rover USA is showing a $300 option for "Smartphone Package" that supports both Car Play and Android Auto, I'm glad it's finally coming for sure.

#31 ·
I think LR is taking the BMW approach, "BMW added CarPlay for 2017 as a $300 option on cars equipped with built-in navigation. It introduced a wireless CarPlay setup with charging on the 5 Series last year, too, supported by the latest iDrive 6.0 interface."

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/16897326/bmw-apple-carplay-subscription-google-alexa-detroit-auto-show-2018

I wonder if they are also introducing a wireless CarPlay charge option, hence the build sheet option -- and free update to regular CarPlay for everyone else? Seems like we're getting conflicting reports of CarPlay and Android showing up on UK cars but in the US it's now a build option for $300?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.