2018 V8 Hesitation on Acceleration? - Page 4
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2018 V8 Hesitation on Acceleration?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2018 V8 Hesitation on Acceleration?

Quote Originally Posted by RABarrett View Post
    If this is possible, has anyone tried monitoring the engine systems (ECM) parameters while driving? It might be interesting to view such parameters as air flow, throttle movement, cam timing, etc. to see if anything is less than instantaneous when moving the throttle. Air flow, fuel metering, cam and ignition timing, throttle movement, O2 sensor activity, etc. Anything that appears to lag behind throttle movement may offer some info. I would be curious to hear some feedback here. I may be able to offer some solutions after perusing this info. Ray
    Yes I have tested it while monitoring and everything appears normal. It appears that it is Transmission software. Without being able to view the programming data I am not able to see where it is lacking in performance. as i have said before i have a f pace with the same engine transmission set up and there is no type of delay at any time. If I could only view both parameters I could see the changes made.

While monitoring I did notice that the transmission does have a delay in determining between gear request and gear selection, this could be normal but.

If you go to the nhtsa website and look at previous years complaints on all land rover makes you will see that many have complained in detail the same problem and safety concerns, It is very frustrating that neither the nhtsa or JLR are willing to do anything about this. Someone is going to get killed while entering oncoming traffic and only then will they address the problem.

IMO This is something that is not necessary After the last 5 years JLR could have changed the programming even if it meant revising there specs for towing or performance.
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

When you indicate that there is a delay between gear request and gear selection, is this when the throttle is set at a point where the hesitation occurs? If going into reverse or drive from park is the issue, this is likely to permit idle speed adjustments. Something to try here might be to select a lower gear when attempting to accelerate, noting the transmission's response. What I am suggesting here is to drive the trans like it is a standard, selecting the gear yourself. Have you tried, for example, selecting drive instead of OD when attempting to enter a road quickly? If you have a digital multimeter with an analog sweep, or an analog meter you might try doing a sweep both slowly and quickly, to determine whether the TPS sweep may be causing the problem. This can be done using an oscilloscope as well. As a note here, the transmission up and downshifts using solenoids instead of direct valving connected to the throttle. It is possible, therefore, that the motor moving the throttle is slow to respond, causing what is called a tip-in sag, or a slow fuel delivery situation. If using your monitor, can you check the throttle response based in tps input? You might be able to observe this with the engine running, and the trans in park. If you move the throttle, for example, regardless of the speed with which you do this, the throttle valve should follow the throttle request directly. Let's start with these tests first, and get back to me. Ray

FRESHMAN ROVER

One other thing to do might be to determine whether the part #'s of the two drive by wire motors are different. You mentioned that your F-Pace does not have this issue. Try shopping for the throttle motors for your different applications. You might also look at the two applications to determine if they are interchangeable. How sure are you that the drivelines are exactly the same? It is possible that a software update might affect throttle motors. It may be the case that the F-Pace has a pricier motor, enabling it it respond quicker. Just spit-balling here. Ray

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

One other thing comes to mind: is there a possibility that, in order to control emissions, with a slower idle, the transmission comes out of gear at a stop. The slow response might then be necessary to keep from damaging the trans. When you then stomp on it, the trans then bangs into gear. Is this more of how to describe the situation? Ray

FRESHMAN ROVER

One other thing comes to mind: is there a possibility that, in order to control emissions, with a slower idle, the transmission comes out of gear at a stop. The slow response might then be necessary to keep from damaging the trans. When you then stomp on it, the trans then bangs into gear. Is this more of how to describe the situation? Ray
    I do appreciate your attempt at a solution and I will tell you that I have indeed looked at all of the above I started to look at the tps first but after some live data captures It is not the problem.

I will start with your last suggestion, the transmission does have a feature that disengages the torque converter when fully stopped with brakes applied I tested to see if it was this but it is not, the delay will happen even if you slow to a crawl without applying the brakes.

There is no abnormal delay when choosing sport mode and selecting first gear while at a crawl. It only happens when in drive. This is why I have come to the conclusion that it is whiting the programming of the transmission. there must be a programming delay at certain speeds before the transmission decides which gear to be in.

I wish is new Land Rovers reasoning for doing this on certain models. The RR have a slight throttle delay built in even from a dead stop under normal conditions even when in sport mode, cant for the life of me figure out why they did this because as I said before The f pace has zero delay, it acts like a sports car should act. The only thing I can think of is they set the delay to the converter because of the weight of the vehicle to prolong the tranny life especially when towing.

I am interested if any of the SVR models have this delay under normal conditions.

I guess it is time for me to start calling me dealership to bug them for a status as well as opening a file with JLRNA. I am sure it is annoying for the service centers to have this ongoing, But I am also convinced that someone does know why this is happening but just won't or cannot say. a simple explanation would go a long way.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I turned my vehicle in to my dealer, refusing to drive it until the problem is solved. Again, without trying to sound like the vehicle is a death trap, I will NOT take my young family in this car, it is NOT safe! The dealer did give me a loaner, discovery, to drive until they have a fix. After I complained the second day of ownership, which my two month anniversary is next week, my dealer opened a case with Land Rover on my Range Rover. So I asked my dealer yesterday, in person, with a case opened 30 days ago, and my vehicle sitting at the dealer waiting to be fixed, at what point in time do you the dealer, step in and get Land Rover to either get me a new vehicle, or at least credit my last two month payments? I would be happy to stay in a Range Rover. I knew going into purchasing a Rover comes issues, but not one that causes in my opinion, a huge safety issue. So I would be very happy if Land Rover would say 30 days without a fix is past due, and replace my Rover with another. I know it is more difficult than this, but it should not be. I am not asking for my money back, and to walk away from Land Rover, I want to stay a customer. Without going back through the previous posts, did someone determine if it is all engines affected? One last thing, last week, I experienced 3 times, my Rover did not want to go into reverse from park. It usually took 2-3 attempts. Not sure if this is related, but this just started. But I have experienced the delay since day one of purchasing this 2019 Range Rover, brand new.

FRESHMAN ROVER

This is sounding more and more like a transmission software issue. After either shifting the trans yourself, or selecting the sport mode, and eliminating the issue, it appears to be possibly an emissions issue, or a wear issue with the trans. Question, Does your sport mode eliminate overdrive, or does it simply delay a shift, and make the shifts slightly stiffer? Ray

FRESHMAN ROVER

This is sounding more and more like a transmission software issue. After either shifting the trans yourself, or selecting the sport mode, and eliminating the issue, it appears to be possibly an emissions issue, or a wear issue with the trans. Question, Does your sport mode eliminate overdrive, or does it simply delay a shift, and make the shifts slightly stiffer? Ray
    You know funny you ask I notice that it is really finicky about up shifting, many times when I gun it and then let off throttle due to traffic or whatever, it would stay in the same gear with high rpms while coasting and then other times it will up shift.
    have not noticed if it makes it into overdrive or not havent payed much attention. I havent driven it all that much due to the delay issue I have it since December and only have 550 miles on it, I have been using the f pace.
    But sport mode does delay shifting. I mentioned the delay in up shifting the funny thing is when it is stuck in the lower gear with the high rpms when i reapply the throttle there is absolutely no delay you get an immediate response.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by bill2019 View Post
    You know funny you ask I notice that it is really finicky about up shifting, many times when I gun it and then let off throttle due to traffic or whatever, it would stay in the same gear with high rpms while coasting and then other times it will up shift.
    have not noticed if it makes it into overdrive or not havent payed much attention. I havent driven it all that much due to the delay issue I have it since December and only have 550 miles on it, I have been using the f pace.
    But sport mode does delay shifting. I mentioned the delay in up shifting the funny thing is when it is stuck in the lower gear with the high rpms when i reapply the throttle there is absolutely no delay you get an immediate response.
    Which sounds like transmission software. My 2015 Audi A8 4.0T behaves similarly. I've had one or two scenarios in my 2.5 years of ownership where I hit the accelerator and my A8 didn't respond immediately in a rolling stop situation. It doesn't happen in sport mode or manual shift mode. I think these cars with 8-speed transmissions have a hard time deciding, especially in lower gears, which gear to be in, and that can lead to delays. There's probably some safety cushion built in as well with all of the engine horsepower available with these cars, to protect the transmission, and the towing thing probably plays into it as well. That's what makes it so hard to nail down - it's not one thing and part of it is the way the cars were designed to operate. Hopefully there's a transmission software update coming.
    2019 RRS SCV8 ATB L494, Indus Silver
    2017 Range Rover SCV8 L405, Scotia Gray (wife's car)

FRESHMAN ROVER

Do these cars have "adaptive" transmissions, where the computer "learns" your driving style over time? That was always a suggestion on the Audi forums, to have the dealer or someone with the VCDS software, do a transmission adaptation so the computer could "re-learn". Not sure if that's applicable here in JLR land.

The described behavior reminds me of a (then-new) VW Golf Sport I had in the mid-1990's. It had a lock-up torque converter, and in lower gears, pressing on the accelerator would sometimes lead to hesitation. You'd have to press harder on the throttle, then "slam!" it would just engage and take off. I wasn't a fan.
    2019 RRS SCV8 ATB L494, Indus Silver
    2017 Range Rover SCV8 L405, Scotia Gray (wife's car)

Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    I think these cars with 8-speed transmissions have a hard time deciding, especially in lower gears, which gear to be in, and that can lead to delays
    That is a great point, as I was reading your post I was thinking you could be onto something here, except when I realized that I’ve owned 3 Sports and 2 F-Types with the same transmission, only my present RR has this hesitation problem.
    ‘18 Range Rover - Corris Grey/Black
    ’ 19 Jaguar F-Type Coupe - Fuji White / Red
    '16 Jaguar F-Type Roadster - Fuji White/Black
    ‘16 Range Rover Sport HST - Fuji Whie/Black (sold)
    2014.5 Range Rover Sport HSE - Fuji White / Almond & Espresso (sold)
    2013 GT Limited Edition - Fuji White/Black (sold)

Carpe Diem !

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    Do these cars have "adaptive" transmissions, where the computer "learns" your driving style over time? That was always a suggestion on the Audi forums, to have the dealer or someone with the VCDS software, do a transmission adaptation so the computer could "re-learn". Not sure if that's applicable here in JLR land.

The described behavior reminds me of a (then-new) VW Golf Sport I had in the mid-1990's. It had a lock-up torque converter, and in lower gears, pressing on the accelerator would sometimes lead to hesitation. You'd have to press harder on the throttle, then "slam!" it would just engage and take off. I wasn't a fan.
    They all have some sort of adaptions now a days but this is always changing. The adaptions only move slightly faster/slower from the initial pressure settings for each soleniod.
    The delay is not affected by how hard you press on the peddle, pressing harder is causing a lot of people problems with whiplash(exaggeration). during this brief delay we unknowingly press further down on the peddle wanting it to go but before we know it the peddle is calling for near full throttle so when the system if ready to go it see a call for full throttle and thus takes off with that command causing the car to lurch forward. the only way to live with this is to slowly put you foot down and wait, this is can be done with casual driving if you pay attention but instinctively when driving on highway in a pull out of traffic lane and go or situation that require quick reactions this is hard to do, all of the years of driving it is hard to overcome unconscious driving habits.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Something you might try would be to disconnect one battery cable, and touch it to the other for about 30 secs. That does not mean shorting the battery. You can either disconnect one cable and touch it to another, or disconnect one of the cables and connect a wire between the cable ends. This will force a hard reset, emptying the contents of the ECM scratch pad. It will also cause you to lose your clock and radio presets, but it may cause the transmission to resort to factory resets. Just a thought. Ray

I’m delighted to announce that there is a fix, mine went in for it’s first service today, they noted the hesitation problem and there is an ATCM and GWM software level that they updated to and it works. No more hesitation as far as I can tell. It now drives like it should have all along.

I can post more info if needed. Just let me know.
    ‘18 Range Rover - Corris Grey/Black
    ’ 19 Jaguar F-Type Coupe - Fuji White / Red
    '16 Jaguar F-Type Roadster - Fuji White/Black
    ‘16 Range Rover Sport HST - Fuji Whie/Black (sold)
    2014.5 Range Rover Sport HSE - Fuji White / Almond & Espresso (sold)
    2013 GT Limited Edition - Fuji White/Black (sold)

Carpe Diem !

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar27 View Post
    I’m delighted to announce that there is a fix, mine went in for it’s first service today, they noted the hesitation problem and there is an ATCM and GWM software level that they updated to and it works. No more hesitation as far as I can tell. It now drives like it should have all along.

I can post more info if needed. Just let me know.
    Yes absolutely!! Please do share.
    -----------------------------
    2018 Yulong White RR V8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now