2018 V8 Hesitation on Acceleration? - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2018 V8 Hesitation on Acceleration?

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: 2018 V8 Hesitation on Acceleration?

One thing to try here might be to clear codes and try driving the vehicle. Not only will this reset everything, but it will also allow the setting of "fresh" codes for diagnosis. One other thing to consider on very new vehicles is the updating of the "scratch pad." This portion of the ECM allows the "trims" to adapt to your driving style. A little less obvious is the idea of "dtopping for gas" when it is convenient, instead of using the same station especially of a name brand, such as Shell or Exxon. Different stations use slightly different compounds of fuel, and will require updating the scratch pad every time. Just a heads up, everyone. Ray

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RABarrett View Post
    One thing to try here might be to clear codes and try driving the vehicle. Not only will this reset everything, but it will also allow the setting of "fresh" codes for diagnosis. One other thing to consider on very new vehicles is the updating of the "scratch pad." This portion of the ECM allows the "trims" to adapt to your driving style. A little less obvious is the idea of "dtopping for gas" when it is convenient, instead of using the same station especially of a name brand, such as Shell or Exxon. Different stations use slightly different compounds of fuel, and will require updating the scratch pad every time. Just a heads up, everyone. Ray
    Yeah i hear what your saying but it is not a gas issue. when you press the pedal absolutely nothing happens for for up to two seconds then wham it kicks in There is a delay in communication somewhere. I heard some mention that it had to due with the transmission not knowing what to do but even happens when in sport mode and set to first or second gear. There are several SSM from manufactures to dealers about this issue but they have no answer as of yet.
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

FRESHMAN ROVER

Something to try here is to test the drive by wire system. Have someone floor the gas for an instant, and see if the throttle body responds quickly. It should be almost instantaneous. Do this very quickly, as you do not want to over rev the engine. I suspect an issue of traction control, as it may be trying to prevent wheel spin. I realize that we are grasping at straws here, but this might be a place to start. Ray

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Somehow The info is being held up by the ecu the engine has no response when you hit the gas dead silent. This is why after the delay it hits hard with a jerky response because we are pressing the pedal further and further trying to get a response and by the time the ecu processes the signal we are pressing the pedal so far down the it slams the gas... very unusual.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I just posted a new topic with information on my new rover. My car is a brand new 2019 full size with the 3.0 gasser, a week old, and one of the problems is the throttle lag or hesitation. Almost cost me two rear end collisions!! Dealer does not think it is a problem with the car, but that it was designed that way. Only happens at slow speeds, especially when letting off of the brake, then getting back into the throttle.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Anyone who's having this problem: try taking taking your vehicle out of auto terrain response and select general driving mode.

The problem is that when the temperature drops near freezing, auto terrain response selects snow mode. Snow mode slows throttle response. Even if there is no snow on the road the vehicle thinks that snow mode is the optimal drive mode. So it'll be perfectly dry out and you'll take off like a snail.

I've confirmed this with both L405 and the new Discovery. This might not work for you, but for me anytime the temperature drops I turn off auto terrain response and leave it in general driving mode. No hesitation issues after that.
    1995 P38, 2005 L332, 2016 L405 TD6.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z32 View Post
    Anyone who's having this problem: try taking taking your vehicle out of auto terrain response and select general driving mode.

The problem is that when the temperature drops near freezing, auto terrain response selects snow mode. Snow mode slows throttle response. Even if there is no snow on the road the vehicle thinks that snow mode is the optimal drive mode. So it'll be perfectly dry out and you'll take off like a snail.

I've confirmed this with both L405 and the new Discovery. This might not work for you, but for me anytime the temperature drops I turn off auto terrain response and leave it in general driving mode. No hesitation issues after that.
    If this is true it's an amazing find. i wonder if it applies to the L494 as well? There have been plenty of folks over on that sub-forum complaining of hesitation on acceleration as well. When I test-drove a 2019 RRS SCD V8 a few weeks ago before ordering, I didn't notice any hesitation, just the opposite. The temp was definitely over 32* F that day though.
    2019 RRS SCV8 ATB L494, Indus Silver
    2017 Range Rover SCV8 L405, Scotia Gray (wife's car)

FRESHMAN ROVER

That would make sense, because my little snow icon has been on frequently, due to our cold weather. Thanks! I will give that a try.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z32 View Post

That is not the problem the v6 does not have auto mode it has nothing to do with that. So you might try to understand a bit more: It is an absolute dead zone not a slow to respond throttle like in snow mode, in snow mode you press on the peddle with a longer throw and the car slowly rev's up so as to not spin the tires.
    The delay we are speaking of is you press the peddle expecting something and nothing happens so you gradually press it further and still nothing until WHAM it kicks in at a much great throttle than we would expect because that gradual pushing of the peddle to gain acceleration has caused us to demand more than we want and by the time the computer decides to respond it does so with the increase throttle demand.

There is a hiccup in communication and it is frightening Since my last post I found myself sitting in the middle of the road with oncoming traffic and praying for the car to respond its like the car stalled. and just like Flinthills said I was turning onto a street and a car was following to close behind me and nearly rear ended me because it wouldnt go.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I was told my rover has the auto control, and I do have the v6, and I do notice the snowflake icon in the top right corner of my gauge cluster. I'm not saying because of that icon, I do have the auto control, that is just what the mechanic told me. At this point, I will take any advice on what the problem could be. It is frustrating, and quite honestly scary. When I let, he did a complete diagnostic, and it showed no faults, which as I told him, does not mean Land Rover still doesn't have problems.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by bill2019 View Post
    That is not the problem the v6 does not have auto mode it has nothing to do with that. So you might try to understand a bit more: It is an absolute dead zone not a slow to respond throttle like in snow mode, in snow mode you press on the peddle with a longer throw and the car slowly rev's up so as to not spin the tires.
    The delay we are speaking of is you press the peddle expecting something and nothing happens so you gradually press it further and still nothing until WHAM it kicks in at a much great throttle than we would expect because that gradual pushing of the peddle to gain acceleration has caused us to demand more than we want and by the time the computer decides to respond it does so with the increase throttle demand
    Ah gotcha. I should have been more clear too. The "snail" acceleration I was referring to is normal for snow mode. What's not normal was what I was feeling. My problem felt to me like a fuel cut. The dealer was calling it "turbo lag". I'd hit the throttle and nothing would happen, then it would jump. I have a TD6 though.

It's really hard to say what's the cause, all I know is that since I started leaving it in general driving mode I haven't had it happen since. I have 70k+ miles on my truck right now so I've had quite some time to drive it and test. My thought was that auto terrain is trying to change mid-acceleration and glitches. But if you're experiencing something similar without auto terrain then I might be wrong.

Hope you guys can find solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Flinthills View Post
    I was told my rover has the auto control, and I do have the v6, and I do notice the snowflake icon in the top right corner of my gauge cluster. I'm not saying because of that icon, I do have the auto control, that is just what the mechanic told me. At this point, I will take any advice on what the problem could be. It is frustrating, and quite honestly scary. When I let, he did a complete diagnostic, and it showed no faults, which as I told him, does not mean Land Rover still doesn't have problems.
    The snowflake icon just means that the temperature has dropped and to watch for ice, not that you've switched drive modes. If auto terrain response is on you actually won't be told what drive mode you're in. You can infer it from how it other systems act though.
    1995 P38, 2005 L332, 2016 L405 TD6.

Premium Member

This thread was originally a V8 thread, but it now combines the V8, the V6 and the diesel. I think whatever you guys are experiencing, are different things, by engine - and in this thread it's confusing to follow.
    None of my cars exhibit this problem so I'm just an observer here, but I thought I'd mention it.

A sidenote: the little snowflake icon on the dash means that the weather is colder than I think 40F/8C, and has no relevance to the engine, AFAIK. It's just a thermometer.
    2018 Range Rover SCV8
    2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic
    2017 Range Rover Evoque HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Flinthills View Post
    I just posted a new topic with information on my new rover. My car is a brand new 2019 full size with the 3.0 gasser, a week old, and one of the problems is the throttle lag or hesitation. Almost cost me two rear end collisions!! Dealer does not think it is a problem with the car, but that it was designed that way. Only happens at slow speeds, especially when letting off of the brake, then getting back into the throttle.
    I just took delivery of my L494 (HSE V6) and didn't notice throttle hesitation on my pre-delivery test drive but was able to feel some lag when replicating this method. When I transition quickly from break back to throttle I do have some hesitation before the car begins to accelerate again. It has to be software related so it's hard to imagine they can't find the issue and push out a fix.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by rac10000 View Post
    I just took delivery of my L494 (HSE V6) and didn't notice throttle hesitation on my pre-delivery test drive but was able to feel some lag when replicating this method. When I transition quickly from break back to throttle I do have some hesitation before the car begins to accelerate again. It has to be software related so it's hard to imagine they can't find the issue and push out a fix.
    If it is a slight delay that would be considered normal, Believe me if you had it you would no it. It is nothing like a turbo lag it sometimes vary in length usually about close to about two seconds of dead spot with nothing.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by totya View Post
    This thread was originally a V8 thread, but it now combines the V8, the V6 and the diesel. I think whatever you guys are experiencing, are different things, by engine - and in this thread it's confusing to follow.
    None of my cars exhibit this problem so I'm just an observer here, but I thought I'd mention it.

A sidenote: the little snowflake icon on the dash means that the weather is colder than I think 40F/8C, and has no relevance to the engine, AFAIK. It's just a thermometer.
    Yeah i know the topic did get broader but it does seem that on some of the v6 and the v8 are inflicted with this problem i can tell you that to my knowledge no diesel has this problem. I plan on taking this on myself before really fighting with jlrna. the weather me is beginning to clear up I am going to go out with my diagnostic tool and take some readings and try to narrow down response times of the suggested parameters as suggested by JLR as long as others. it probably will take a deep dive to figure this out more than jlr is willing to do at this time. Ive attached one of the SSM about this problem there are several like this about other models that have been issued for the past several years but none for 2019

Range Rover RR Sport Discovery equipped with AJ126 Engines
    A Customer may complain of a hesitation while accelerating from a ‘rolling stop’.
    We are investigating complaints on MY18 vehicles which had complaints from new as well as 14-17 MY vehicles where this complaint surfaced following a software update. Perform diagnosis and repair of any DTCs stored. If a repair is made and validated based on DTCs, raise an EPQR and hold any parts replaced for analysis. If the complaint is deemed to be normal as compared to another like vehicle, raise an EPQR with a video of the live data signals below, taken when the complaint occurred attached to the report. Also describe in detail what conditions cause the complaint to occur.
    PCM: TCM:
    Under Investigation
    • Accelerator Pedal Position 1.
    • Vehicle Speed 2.
    • Throttle Position 3.
    • Engine RPM 4.
    Throttle Position
    Engine Torque
    Gear Position
    Output Shaft Speed

+ Reply to Thread