Range Rovers Forum banner

InControl 10.2" Touch Pro announced for Range Rover...

25K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  michaeltw 
#1 ·
except it's not for us buying the 2016 flagship (L405) model, instead it will be available on the new Convertible Evoque available in the Spring 2016. Bummer... does this mean they will upgrade the L405 midyear? Wonder if it's worth waiting 6 months... I have a TD6 arriving end of Jan.

The graphics look much better than the current infotainment system in the RR.

Center console Car Vehicle Range rover Technology

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: InControl 10.2" Touch Pro announced for Range Rover...

Oh dear lourde, is there a horse to beat around here? :lol:

It's all guess work. Now it;ll be a guessing game between the Disco system, Jag system and now the Evoque system. Folks please, until something is announced AND on an order form it is all just playing pin the tail on the donkey as to when/if something is going to carry over. FOr fun someone should call 6 dealers and see how many different responces they get as to which system will make it to the 405 and when.

#4 ·

Oh dear lourde, is there a horse to beat around here? :lol:

It's all guess work. Now it;ll be a guessing game between the Disco system, Jag system and now the Evoque system. Folks please, until something is announced AND on an order form it is all just playing pin the tail on the donkey as to when/if something is going to carry over. FOr fun someone should call 6 dealers and see how many different responces they get as to which system will make it to the 405 and when.
Ha! Yeah -- I'll still keep my order for end of Jan delivery... at least the L405 system in the MY2016 has some improvements over the MY2015. Plus, it seems that I never use these in car systems as my iPhone is what I use for everything anyway. As long as it stream audio and bluetooth my phone, that's all I really need. These systems no matter what seems clunky...

#8 ·

I think JX are all pro versions with 8'' screens. And now seeing that even Evoque gets 10.2'' Pro version, I think it's relatively safe to assume that MY17 RR refresh will get it too. And yes the Pro version is a lot better with Here maps integration. Also it's multi touch screen, something like your phone/tablet, instead of the old sensor tft crap.

A few vids on ICTP, something you can expect from RR in the future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pci1Emxehvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2cwaeLcURc

#11 ·

Ugly and little. I hope they keep the current screen.

except it's not for us buying the 2016 flagship (L405) model, instead it will be available on the new Convertible Evoque available in the Spring 2016. Bummer... does this mean they will upgrade the L405 midyear? Wonder if it's worth waiting 6 months... I have a TD6 arriving end of Jan.

The graphics look much better than the current infotainment system in the RR.

View attachment 160305

#12 ·

Ha! They still haven't got InControl to do anything useful or to work as advertised and they are already introducing a new system. Don't expect much from the new system and you won't be disappointed!

#15 ·

Quick q whilst the speculation continues ...

I was led to believe that remote start was part of the 16MY. I dowloaded and connected the In Control Remote app on my phone but it doesn't have that feature. In the InControl Remote app tour it also shows that I'm supposed to have a "climate" page to interface with climate control to 'pre-condition' the vehicle, but I don't get that page. Could it be that the L405 isn't compatible with this feature?

Was I misinformed that we have remote start or is it time for me trtfm?

#16 ·

Quick q whilst the speculation continues ...

I was led to believe that remote start was part of the 16MY. I dowloaded and connected the In Control Remote app on my phone but it doesn't have that feature. In the InControl Remote app tour it also shows that I'm supposed to have a "climate" page to interface with climate control to 'pre-condition' the vehicle, but I don't get that page. Could it be that the L405 isn't compatible with this feature?

Was I misinformed that we have remote start or is it time for me trtfm?
I believe that (Remote Start / Climate requires remote start) was all covered in the LR Marketing Bulletin for MY16: http://cdn.ovalnews.com/pdf/mpr15-10r-no-invoice.pdf

#21 ·

Remote start is not on full size RR for '16 but on RRS and others.

#23 ·

all good info. I know LR reads boards like these. as many as they sell now- if their tech was up to par with stuff like this they'd be even richer. I predict this shows up in 2017. that is a beautiful form factor and design.

#28 ·

Just to clarify the 'hybrid' infotainment system that is in the 16MY.

This is the familiar interface up to the 15.5MY:

This is what it looks like on the 16MY when you start it up:

As you can see this is the middle page and you can arrow to a page on the left and on the right.

Left:

Right:

However, once you go past the initial interface you get back to the original system, both in mapping, graphics, etc.

As opposed to the 16MY Disco Sport which has a similar original interface (albeit with better graphics) but the new mapping system:

So the 16 L405 is just the old system with a different front end skin to look like the Disco system. The Disco system is brand new but looks nothing like the new Evoque Cabrio system. How that plays out in the 17MY L405 I have no idea, but it stands to reason that the L405 would have the best and newest system JLR has on offer, and it sort of makes sense that they would release it as part of an overall mid-cycle update. Would it trickle down to the Disco as well? Who knows. My guess is that the Disco, since it just came out,will retain what it has and all the high end JLR vehicles will get InControl 2.0 thingie or whatever it is called.

Dunno if that helped or if it created more confusion. :)

#29 ·

Sorry couldn't fit all the images ... this is the Disco Sport mapping design, it was meant to be under the last pic:

--------------------------------

One personal note in regards to this 16MY L405 system. Since all they did was just change the initial skin and left the old back end in, I wish they had just left it alone. If you look at the first pic of the 15.5MY and earlier all the graphics and fonts worked in unison with the dash. Now you have this square window effect which not only doesn't match the dash graphics as well as before, but is actually less functional because it fits only four things per page, whereas before you could pretty much get to every function from the front page. It's not terrible, but it hurts my OCD sensibilities because it is patched together as an afterthought.

#30 ·

Sorry couldn't fit all the images ... this is the Disco Sport mapping design, it was meant to be under the last pic:

--------------------------------

One personal note in regards to this 16MY L405 system. Since all they did was just change the initial skin and left the old back end in, I wish they had just left it alone. If you look at the first pic of the 15.5MY and earlier all the graphics and fonts worked in unison with the dash. Now you have this square window effect which not only doesn't match the dash graphics as well as before, but is actually less functional because it fits only four things per page, whereas before you could pretty much get to every function from the front page. It's not terrible, but it hurts my OCD sensibilities because it is patched together as an afterthought.

This is great!! Thanks for the photos, etc. I agree -- the graphics / layouts are not that great. Even the new Disco, not a fan of the stock photo art buttons... My 2012 L322 I thought they did a nice job and is clean and thoughtout with detail (although limited).

That said, besides responsiveness and look & feel, what real differences in features does the Disco provide besides the new maps (which I would never use because of my iPhone/Apple Watch)? I think that the bigger question is why do we really care about in-car tech? I find that I don't really use any of the in-car technology features because my Apple Watch and iPhone are way better. Just give me an easy way to stream the audio and that's all I really need. Even the contextual awareness features in the video they talk about seems worthless, because you'd never really use it and it all gets outdated anyways.

I'd rather just have them focus on clean, concise interfaces that are visually appealing and consistent in design cues.

#32 ·

I may be in the minority, but I like the system in the truck

It overly simple and easy to use...maybe a little slow

Ive had BMW, Audi and Porsche....more features but overly complicated

#34 ·

I appreciate the pictures Soul Sea provided. The system looks great. I realize it's not there yet technology wise. Graphics are beautiful though. Here's my problem, I'm extremely happy with my truck, V8 engine, no stop start, looks and ride. The colorful nav looks great, but not enough to upgrade my truck yet.

#35 ·

Just adding a confirmed fact to the thread for those who may search it one day - the updated infotainment system for MY16 L405 & L494 is InControl Touch Plus.

Also, referring back to some mentions of what will be available on the F-Pace & ICTP, it's possible that the image used for the $500 Navigation Pack isn't correct. I may not get more specifics on this but just know when asked there was some confusion over where that image came from.

#38 ·

The current "hybrid" system in the MY16 Range Rover is InControl Touch Plus.

I have no idea what they will call the system for MY17, ha.

#43 ·

The current "hybrid" system in the MY16 Range Rover is InControl Touch Plus.

I have no idea what they will call the system for MY17, ha.
Sweet mother of everything, that department needs a serious overhaul.

#46 ·
#48 ·

It has a long long way to go. U get a phone call it disconnects

I may be a minority but think the stock nav system is great..
Yes I use the Nav all the time...

#49 ·

I purchased a day pass to Topix and saw the following updated bulletin (updated Feb 2, 2016) -- not sure what it means, but something is coming...:

SSM72604 - Jaguar LandRover, InControl Touch Pro – Nerve Centre Support

Models
Discovery Sport / L550
Range Rover / L405
Range Rover Evoque / L538
Range Rover Sport / L494

Issue
Introduction of New Technology

Cause
Service Compliance Notification JLRP00052v2 has been issued to support the introduction of the new InControl Touch Pro system to the Jaguar and Land Rover ranges, this is an extension of the existing X351 MY16 InControl Touch Pro Nerve centre to further the scope of support across model lines. The central JLR team will again form a Nerve Centre to promote rapid identification and resolution of customer concerns. This process is effective from the moment you receive your first vehicle, and will run until further notice. All global markets will receive Nerve Centre focus during the launch phase, and your National Sales Company & Importer technical staff will be invited into the forum to keep abreast of the very latest technical fixes.

#50 ·

I purchased a day pass to Topix and saw the following updated bulletin (updated Feb 2, 2016) -- not sure what it means, but something is coming...:

SSM72604 - Jaguar LandRover, InControl Touch Pro – Nerve Centre Support
Great find! I try to do this monthly to see if there's anything new and just hadn't had a chance yet.

Just waiting for someone to activate the 2017 info earlier than they're supposed to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.