Charging system fault
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Charging system fault

FRESHMAN ROVER

Charging system fault

2013 Evoque dynamic, thru this fault 2 weeks ago. After a week, I put in a new AGM battery. Week 2, fault still there...
    Car is charging fine....old and new battery turned over fine, even in -20C temps.
    Metering the BMS fusable wire link from ground to battery + shows just 11.4V...
    Same wire to positive side shows full battery voltage, measured from battery ground.
    The battery monitoring system is a part of the battery ground lug. Is that 11.4V low? Should it be same as battery voltage? Perhaps its bad...?

Charging system fault-20190123_121233.jpg.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Re: Charging system fault

11.4 is very low. You may have a cable with high resistance not allowing the alternator to fully charge the battery. You could also a loose or corroded connection.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Battery voltage and alternator charge voltage is good. The fused link cable ground to positive is the one reading 11.4V
    For testing, I measure the resistance of the bms harness....its okay.

Had LR plug into the ECU and it had a B11DB-87 code stored. All they told me is they would have to start checking all the wiring at a minimum of 5 hrs service charge!
    Everything Ive read about this code points to the BMS monitor itself (attached to the battery)
    Harness wires dont show open circuit for power...Im unsure what the LIN is spose to show for V, if any...?

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    11.4 is very low. You may have a cable with high resistance not allowing the alternator to fully charge the battery. You could also a loose or corroded connection.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

So, JUST put in a new BMS module... Warning is still there, however it MAY need time to recalibrate... Or may need reset?
    If not, I have no clue where to look next.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    2013 3DR Evoque Dynamic 2.0 GTDIS

Have you checked your other cables and grounds for clean tight fitting? You are skipping the easy stuff.

No matter what you say, 11.4v is very low at any point in start/charge circuit.
    When dealing with yourself, act with your brain
    When dealing others, act with your heart.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RRToadHall View Post
    Have you checked your other cables and grounds for clean tight fitting? You are skipping the easy stuff.

No matter what you say, 11.4v is very low at any point in start/charge circuit.
    I checked the continuity and resistance of the fused Connector from the BMS to the positive terminal. It's okay...
    11.4V is from the positive battery post to the BMS itself, measured thru the fused Connector, as this is the + path for the BMS. I'm assuming the BMS has some internal resistance to calculate voltage...?
    Same voltage on new and old BMS by the way.
    The ground post connection is solid according to my measurements... So my assumption is ground point to negative post is also good.
    Also, still 13.9V at battery while idling. Assuming thats a good alternator voltage, nothing amiss there.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I guess I'll start checking connections at the other end of all these cables... The LIN conductor to the BCM and ground connections.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by wungun View Post
    So, JUST put in a new BMS module... Warning is still there, however it MAY need time to recalibrate... Or may need reset?
    If not, I have no clue where to look next.

what model year? my '17 kept throwing charging errors and low battery alarms.
    there was nothing wrong with either the charging or the battery, the car needed a software update.
    2018 Range Rover SCV8
    2017 Range Rover Sport SCV8 Dynamic
    2017 Range Rover Evoque HSE

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by totya View Post
    what model year? my '17 kept throwing charging errors and low battery alarms.
    there was nothing wrong with either the charging or the battery, the car needed a software update.
    Mines a 2013...
    Was at the dealer and plugged in. Didn't receive an update.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Try this: Start the vehicle, and check the voltage between the positive connection to the battery and the positive connection to the BMS. Also check the voltage between the ground and the battery negative. Both should measure less than .3 volts. Much more than that indicates a voltage drop. This system uses SYSTEM voltage to indicate battery voltage, and it will assume that the voltage is low if it "sees" a low voltage at the measurement point. Let me know... Ray

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RABarrett View Post
    Try this: Start the vehicle, and check the voltage between the positive connection to the battery and the positive connection to the BMS. Also check the voltage between the ground and the battery negative. Both should measure less than .3 volts. Much more than that indicates a voltage drop. This system uses SYSTEM voltage to indicate battery voltage, and it will assume that the voltage is low if it "sees" a low voltage at the measurement point. Let me know... Ray
    I see what you're saying...
    See if there is any potential difference at these points. Good idea...
    This should reveal any bad or corroded connections.
    Thanks....
    I'll report back.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I did measure battery ground post to BMS + Connector and it was less than 12V. Both with the old and new BMS.
    This may be a normal voltage for the BMS... Can't be sure unless someone else measures this on their vehicle.

FRESHMAN ROVER

One important connection I failed to meter was the + that connects to the BMS fused link. Mainly because I couldn't get my meter probe into the female plug end...
    This lead doesn't come straight off the positive battery post (that I could see) so maybe the issue lies here. Would be an easy fix if this were it.
    If the issues is with the LIN line, it'll be a major PITA as it ends up on the BACK side of the fuse block behind the glove box.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Suggestion: can you measure the voltage drop between the battery and the monitor connection to the module? If that fuse is blown, the voltage between these points will be quite high. Typically this fuse blows when the alternator fails, causing faults, even though the system is charging properly. I would check this first. It might save you some headaches. Ray

FRESHMAN ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by RABarrett View Post
    Suggestion: can you measure the voltage drop between the battery and the monitor connection to the module? If that fuse is blown, the voltage between these points will be quite high. Typically this fuse blows when the alternator fails, causing faults, even though the system is charging properly. I would check this first. It might save you some headaches. Ray
    Fused link is intact... Measured continuity thru it. Plus it's brand new.
    I have to find time to measure the positive voltage feeding the BMS, and any potential loss to ground or from alternator.
    Measuring the voltage from ground to the + at the BMS, shows 11V however.
    I think this must be by design, as my old and new BMS measured the same.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now