Which is Better and Why?
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which is Better and Why?

Which is Better and Why?

Hey guys! My name is Matt and I am having a hard time deciding between the RR and RRS (L405 and 494 respectively).

Assuming they ate optioned out equivalently, which one do you think is better and why? Either one I get will have the supercharged V8 (although I am not interested in the SVR).

I want something that is the best all-arounder.

I'll pose some questions to start us off:

Is the full-size better off road than the sport?

Is the handling that much better on the sport durinf spirited driving?

Is the cargo capacity of the full size that much bigger than the sport (which begs the quesrion, why would the put jump seats in the SMALLER car and not the bigger one?? I digress.)

Finally, do they both have the same max ground clearance at their highest suspension setting?

Thanks guys, I can't wait to see what you have to say about them!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

Re: Which is Better and Why?

Hey Matt welcome.

It really depends on the kinda ride you like, do you need a larger vehicle for extra guests?

The RRS will have a somewhat sportier drive the seats are different feeling the sport has seats that are very comfortable and will hold you in firmly when cornering. The full size RR is geared more toward luxury ride not sport, Taking corners in the sport you will feel less roll and more grip than the Full size.

Off road they would be equal. If you have not done so yet sit in both and drive both, you should be able to tell right away just by sitting in it which one is for you.

For me I went back and forth I loved how soft the seats where in the RR But definitely did not need the extra room as it is usually only me driving. however i preferred the seats better in the sport.
    2019 Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

since the 405 and L494 are pretty much the same platform, do want to look Sporty or affluent?
    "The power of good is always stronger than the power of non-good.
    The power of light is stronger than the power of darkness,
    the power of knowledge is stronger than the power of ignorance."
    ~ Maharishi Mahesh Yogi~

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Thank you both for your feedback. It sounds like I'm leaning towards the sport out of the two.

I know this is kind of a curve ball, but I'm ow even considering a used LR4. Mainly because pf the utility. I have loved my 2008 V8 Touareg because until the L494 came out, nothing aside frome the cayenne could do exactly what it did (but I didn't like the interior of the cayenne for those years, it reminded me of an old golf I had). I mean, this thing was quick, the air suspension made it ride nicely, and unlike other air suspensions at the time, it one had active shocks and dampers that would firm up or loosen the suspension depending on whether the suspension was set to sport, comfort, or auto. It has a dual range transfer case and 11.3" of max ground clearance for off roading, and for 2008, it was WAY more luxurious than I thought a VW could be. My only gripe is the cargo capacity... which is why I question whether I should even look at the 405 and 494 because their cargo volumes are even less.

Ugh. I guess I just want to have my cake and eat it too.

Ultimately, I think the fun factor of the RRS may be what wins me over.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Consider a RRS Supercharged and the 3rd row seat option? Put some beefy tires on it? Tow power is better on the L494, and so much better in the twisties and corners. The interior room and fold down middle row is lacking (note the former RR Sport L320 was built on same platform as LR3/4). I have an LR3 as well.
    When my RRS Supercharged Dynamic needs new tires, I will likely sell the current wheels and go this direction...
    https://youtu.be/M5EXXFIYgjQ
    2014 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged Dynamic / Quicksilver Exhaust / VelocityAP ECU Tune

I might be a bit biased, but the 2013 RRS is the best of all worlds. It’s the newest MY that retained the boxy styling. It handles like a sports car on pavement (okay maybe a somewhat overweight sports car). And, most important to me, its off road abilities are par none. The only downside is you have to get creative to find aftermarket parts.
    2013 RRS HSE Fuji White

You're just going to get personal opinions.
    I have sat in a '11 Sport SC, and felt cramped compared to our '11 full size SC.
    I just picked up a '10 LR4 for a buddy and am quite impressed with it. Interior room is better than the sport, and still feels solid with the boxed frame etc. A very good compromise.
    As for the latest generation, can't comment as all my stuff is paid for.....And cant justify the money they still command. Not to mention the wife likes the traditional styling of the "older" (up to '12) Range Rovers
    '98 P38 HSE, with 385hp/385ft lbs of LSx under the hood. Fully functional HVAC, EAS, etc.
    '11 L322 SC
    '04 DiscoII - wheeling rig
    '02 P38, '79 924 for the kids.
    Custom fabrication, engine rebuilds and knowledge that comes from experience and not Google, always available for a reasonable cost.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now