Offroading in 'your' country.
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Offroading in 'your' country.

FRESHMAN ROVER

Offroading in 'your' country.

I live in the UK on the borders of lots of countryside but god forbid if I set foot 'off road'.I would be treated as enemy number one.
    About fifteen minutes drive from my house there is a very large disused quarry,one day a couple of us went up there,not doing anything stupid,just cruising about in the quarry.On my way back to the paved roads a 'do gooder rambler type' took my registration number down and I got a call from the police, .
    Now my argument was,the place has been a quarry for years,was the 'rambler type do-gooder' there protesting when some buisness was making money out of tearing up tons of rock,I doubt it very much,but a couple of people in land rover's doing no damage warrants a call from the police,with threats that if we went again there was a possibility the vehicles could be confiscated.
    What is the situation in other countries?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Premium Member

re: Offroading in 'your' country.

I agree with you.

I know some of the LR magazines show legal routes using text, photos and Ordinance Survey map details. I think that's the way to go.

There are too many 'do-gooder' types in the UK. Maybe it's about time we exported them? And why the police are following this sort of information up... Surely they've got more important crimes (like vehicle thiefts) to use their very limited resources for.

Actually, that rant has just made me realise something. Instead of exporting the do-gooders, maybe I'll emigrate.

FRESHMAN ROVER

i have had the same situation happen to me a number of times, whether it be my road legal quad, my old lightweight i had or my old mahindra i had, its either the "plastics", (community constables) , ramblers or doo gooders, these fun police as it were seem to like making something out of nothing. have had many a do with them, quite often involving me fighting . whats worse is when you have permission to go on the land by the owner and they still try to do ya! they just need to stick to there rambling or driving there prius's and leave us be, i have to agree rich, export the buggers!
    When i die i want to be buried in my P38 (It will save the fire brigade the job of cutting me out)

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

FRESHMAN ROVER

One area that a lot of people used was 'raided' one day by three police cars.I argued this police woman into silence,she could not give an answer because she knew they were wrong.
    They annoyed me because they took down the number of my family car that was just parked at the side of the road,(MK3 golf's dont go off road very well.)
    I asked the police woman who had been caught for burning out the cars over the back of the area we were on.There was a Isuzu Trooper on it's roof burned out,a nova burned out and the remains of another car.I said you are here mob handed on a sunny sunday afternoon because a few people are off roading doing no harm,were you here mob handed when those stolen cars were being torched in the middle of the night,(she could not answer).

Premium Member

A little help, por favor.

What does "UK is pants" mean ?

If I knew that, I could tell you if my area is or is not pants.

The US varies a lot by region. Whatever it may mean, some areas are much less pants than others.

Where I am, things are mostly pants, but not to that 'volunteer police force' degree. I think that I would have to drive a pretty good distance to get to a non-pants, off-road kosher area.
    P38: 1999 Bosch

FRESHMAN ROVER

Pants is a polite way of saying ****. And I have to agree.
    Where I live there are mountain tracks everywhere that you could use whenever you wanted, now you cant go anywhere. A couple of weeks ago I took the dogs out in the RR up the closest mountain to me. We had been there about 20 minutes and along came a farmer in his tractor. I called the dogs over out of the way and the farmer came up to us and got out, He then started writing my number plate down and informed us that we were breaking the law and he was going to report the plate to the police. He said that we weren't allowed to drive there anymore and the dogs were worrying his sheep! My dogs are very well behaved and will come back immediatley when called and I could not see one sheep. We had chosen the spot we were in because there were no sheep there anyway.
    He then got argumentative with me. I asked him why he was allowed and we were not. He said that the authorities were fed up of people like us chewing up the countryside with our 4x4's, so I pointed to the 6inch deep 2foot wide ruts behind his tractor and then to the bent grass behind my range rover. He just got in the cab and left!
    The problem is that we are all tarred with the same brush, the same brush as the illegal motox bikes!
    97 4.6 HSE Autobiography

Depends on where you live. I happen to live near hundreds of acres of unused farmland, and no one says pants. Hell no one could find me if I got stuck let alone come after me

Illegal in Norway, although there are some roads that are just gravel.
    Even a farmer cannot drive off road on his own land without good reason.
    1998 Autobiography 4.6 V8 of course

Quote Originally Posted by q-rover
    Illegal in Norway, although there are some roads that are just gravel.
    Even a farmer cannot drive off road on his own land without good reason.
    So actually the UK is pretty good. I believe France is quite good as well.
    I'll find out in the summer as we are off to the pyrenees.
    1998 Autobiography 4.6 V8 of course

Well Pants, I'll be shagged. Like the Austin Powers movie - "lets talk English...no I mean British"

This is where drunken jeep owners ruin the day, they do the damage, we pay the price.
    Proceed Until Apprehended

Premium Member

How much does it take to get a Jeep drunk ?

("What he was doing in pajamas, I'll never know.")
    P38: 1999 Bosch

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I've met the same farmer sans tractor as Barnhill has and he's a miserable old git (the farmer not Barnhill) as he trundles along tearing up the grass while his herd of cows produce more CO2 in a week than my RR would in 20 years. I think he's wrong too, that track is a UCR (Unclassified Counrty Road) which is legal to drive in my book
    We have lots of greenlanes nearby, a greenlane is an unmade countryroad that's legal to drive, up til a few years you could drive bridleways and the like but thats been taken away. I've driven quite a few Greenlanes around locally and in the Brecon Beacons and heard a few grumblings from ramblers, if your legal then they've got no gripe and can go whistle. Some greenlanes have Temporary Restriction Orders applied through the winter, so if your map says it's legal you can still be in trouble if a TRO is slapped on the lane and your caught driving it, we're luckier in Wales than a lot of England were the rights of way have been removed from many legal by ways......I have to agree in part, the UK is getting more restrictive and Nanny State-like with every passing year.
    South Wales Area Rep
    Range Rover Register
    www.rrr.co.uk
    95 Range Rover 4.6 HSE PowerFlow Stainless Exhaust...nice meaty V8 Rumble.

Premium Member

How do you know if a track is a UCR? Is it written down somewhere?

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rich998a
    How do you know if a track is a UCR? Is it written down somewhere?
    County Council Definitive Maps.
    Ex - 1997 2.5 DSE
    Ex - 1993 3.9 Vogue
    Currently running an A3 TDI and being seduced by 50mpg!

SOPHOMORE ROVER

That's it, I checked the maps with our local authority for the lanes or tracks I drive most often. I'm sure my latest version OS map of the area has it marked as such, it's a 1:25000 (enough 0's there?) Explorer map which shows more detail than the Landranger ones. I'll have a look to check.
    South Wales Area Rep
    Range Rover Register
    www.rrr.co.uk
    95 Range Rover 4.6 HSE PowerFlow Stainless Exhaust...nice meaty V8 Rumble.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now