Offroading in 'your' country. - Page 2
  1. Welcome to RangeRovers.net – General discussion forum for Range Rovers

Welcome to RangeRovers.net - a website dedicated to all things Range Rovers.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join RangeRovers.net today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Offroading in 'your' country.

FRESHMAN ROVER

re: Offroading in 'your' country.

Wow... despite the ease of accessing a D110, I do not want to move to the UK now.

Approximately 20 miles from my house is an ORV (Off Road Vehicle) Park of about 600 acres. It's was clearly a riverbed sometime in the past, but when the river changed course it dried up. The park itself consists of the old river bed and both banks (probably 100 - 200 feet of elevation change on both sides. With some forested land, artificially piled boulders etc. It is great for saturday entertaining but altogether not very adventurous since you can't really go anywehre except tool around in the park. Usually it's pretty empty on snowy/bad weather days since the atvers and dirtbike crowd down't like the mud as much.

This is looking down on the river bed. Both sides are open to vehicles.

This shows the boundaries... although it's pretty obvious from the tracks.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...a2ba929ea2ffa6

Additionaly the Federal Gov't is requirng all national parks to publish vehicle use maps detailing EXACTLY where what types of vehicles can be used. Several parks have made maps specifically to emphasize vehicle adventure routes, such as the Gifford Pinchot National Forest near Vancouver, WA. It's a little drive for me, I'm closer to the Colville National Forest or Okanogan National Forest. Here I haven't even addressed other state parks, but there are many.

Information on Gifford Pinchot since I hear it's pretty cool.
    General Info & Vehicle Requirements
    http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation...reroutes.shtml

Pics and Descriptions of Routes
    http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation...riptions.shtml

Map
    http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation...ckable_000.pdf

Definitely not pants, but some places can definitely be more than a daytrip. Next summer I want to head out to Gifford for a couple of days... I just have to get the wife ready for the idea first.
    1994 RR County LWB
    KF7AKG

2. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

Now I am planning my next road trip....
    Proceed Until Apprehended

Hey, are there other intersting "English" words I can slip into daily language and not get slapped here but would in London?

I must be bored.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Range Rovers Forum
    Advertisements

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg
    Hey, are there other intersting "English" words I can slip into daily language and not get slapped here but would in London?

I must be bored.
    "Nadgers" is one of my favorites, mostly child safe too!
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/...3b6608cf_o.jpg

If at first you don’t succeed, get a bigger hammer.
    If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Well pants, I need to see it in use to know the right context

SOPHOMORE ROVER

Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg
    Well pants, I need to see it in use to know the right context
    Well "nadgers" is merly "Bollocks" but with less effect/more child safe, and good use of the word bollocks can be seen here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0a06gsiF4
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/...3b6608cf_o.jpg

If at first you don’t succeed, get a bigger hammer.
    If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Well there are 2 of us(vehicles) coming over at easter and staying near Buxton to
    enjoy th eEnglish countryside, as there is more laning to be done in th eUK.
    If your worried about loosing it, get out there and use, but don't forget the pictures.
    1998 Autobiography 4.6 V8 of course

Premium Member

I think the problem is more to do with lack of information, or more accurately, dis-information.

As you may (or may not) know, the UK Government is great at confusion because they keep changing their minds to suit themselves and/or trying to fix issues which actually are not issues at all. Local Governments don't have enough money to be keeping tabs on 'greenlane' access. In SW Somerset, the roads are shot (again) after this cold weather and they don't even have the money to fix them. Also, even if they did have money, I don't believe it's a priority for them. I'll hold back on what I really think about the UK Goverment right now.

To be honest, I don't greenlane any more simply because I don't know if I can or not, or if I could yesterday, maybe not the same today.

And like the earlier posts, the landowners don't even know who has access either. As for the do-gooder rambler types, they just think they have a right to walk anywhere they like, when they like. Anyone gets in their way and the're off on their soapbox threatening legal action.

One thing the LR Magazines have been good at is actually identifying and detailing routes around the UK. I wouldn't describe them as 'wild tracked savanna plains rich in flora and forna' like Tsavo, Samburu or the The Mara, but they allow some sort of recreational activity for us anti-social 4x4 types.

FRESHMAN ROVER

The place I was talking about when I first started this is called Rooley Moor.Like I said it was once a quarry,the land is scarred for ever it will never grow over,it will always just be a disused quarry.But that is OK,that does not matter the important thing is not to let a social outcast like myself drive on it in his 4x4.It is even ok for them to build a wind farm up there now,yes dozens of huge white windmills have been built.Imagine what damage that has caused,but if I went up there in my LR I would probably get arrested.
    I just might do it and have my day in court to vent some frustration.

FRESHMAN ROVER

I just remember driving to Geilo from Stavanger over the Hardangervidda plateau in the mid winter(road was open but only to snow plough convoys to go skiing a few years ago when we lived in Norway.... It resembled offroading in the Arctic what with 15ft drifts on either side of the road for mile upon mile in the middle of absolutely nowhere with a blizzard blowing , well I say road about 2 inch of ice.... oh how i loved the studded tires on my LR, those were the days....

[quote=q-rover]
    Quote Originally Posted by "q-rover":2ubzuw9z
    Illegal in Norway, although there are some roads that are just gravel.
    Even a farmer cannot drive off road on his own land without good reason.
    So actually the UK is pretty good. I believe France is quite good as well.
    I'll find out in the summer as we are off to the pyrenees. [/quote:2ubzuw9z]
    07 TATA (LR) RRS SuperVindaloocharged, Buckingham Blue, Stormers, TPMS, Confusing Sunroof, Rear Difflock,PDC front & rear, Privacy, RSE kid noise reduction mod, premium ice, mudflaps, Ivory premium leather, lined oak, PTI, Sat Radio, DRL activated.

SOPHOMORE ROVER

I know, this topic is ancient..

I live in Tasmania, it's about 65.000km2 big with only 500.000 residents, you can do a lot of off roading here!! Easy to get lost too, because the tracks can be long, and have crossings, they're hardly on any map.

Usually these are fire tracks, used by the fire bigrade during bush fires.
    Tracks are on average not real exiting, but you have nice sections in between. There are also tracks what can be a bit challenging..
    Oh yeah, we're allowed on a lot of beaches too!

Offroading in 'your' country.-rangie.jpgOffroading in 'your' country.-bridport.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now